Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 8/18/2022 8:37:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding]
I am an electrical engineer and have made a switch modification assembly to the Zenitco Gen 3+ perst to accept either Surefire or Crane plugs. Finally making the Perst lasers compatible with Modbutton taps etc. Currently in prototype phase will post updates periodically. Open to input to make the best product for the fellow Perst users.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm definitely interested, have multiple gen 3 persts
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
That would be awesome, I'm in!
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 2:58:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding] [#4]
Yes you can not splice a Gen 3+ this is because the Perst switch no longer is functioning as a switch in the normal regard. It is not routing power to the switch and you close the circuit by pressing the button and then the electric current goes back to the laser to drive the diode.

There is a microcontroller inside their switch in deep sleep mode watching a rotary encoder (the dial that controls brightness) and the button. Once you press the button a digital signal is sent back to the laser to fire at the appropriate brightness.

So as of right now the plan is to modify the zenitco assembly by removing their switch PCB and put it in my own housing I am designing do some voodoo and give you a female surefire or crane port to plug into while retaining standard Perst function and brightness nob on the adapter. I am still working on solving how to make my own all up assembly not requiring customer switch but I have no ETA or if that will be done as I have a couple other not Perst product projects in the works to launch my own company on.

Gen 2 Persts I will also be making a simple cable plug conversion once I complete the Gen 3+ mod proto and design. No need to send in previous switch as I have the zenitco laser connectors already on order.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
God speed I would think crane female would be what most people want
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cryesncoding:
Yes you can not splice a Gen 3+ this is because the Perst switch no longer is functioning as a switch in the normal regard. It is not routing power to the switch and you close the circuit by pressing the button and then the electric current goes back to the laser to drive the diode.

There is a microcontroller inside their switch in deep sleep mode watching a rotary encoder (the dial that controls brightness) and the button. Once you press the button a digital signal is sent back to the laser to fire at the appropriate brightness.

So as of right now the plan is to modify the zenitco assembly by removing their switch PCB and put it in my own housing I am designing do some voodoo and give you a female surefire or crane port to plug into while retaining standard Perst function and brightness nob on the adapter. I am still working on solving how to make my own all up assembly not requiring customer switch but I have no ETA or if that will be done as I have a couple other not Perst product projects in the works to launch my own company on.

Gen 2 Persts I will also be making a simple cable plug conversion once I complete the Gen 3+ mod proto and design. No need to send in previous switch as I have the zenitco laser connectors already on order.
View Quote

I would be interested in a Gen 2 PERST plug conversion. Look forward to you offering something for it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
OST
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I would definitely be interested in both gen 2 and 3 conversions.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Gen3 crane plug adapter would be great
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
So to clarify, this would be a separate piece we'd order from you that would be drop in and not need modification to the perst directly?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:35:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H4ppyB34r] [#11]
Just to make sure I understood this correctly...

Your "assembly" will give us a brightness rotary and momentary switch on the perst 2/3 main unit body, that ALSO INCLUDES A Crane/Surefire female plug?

Or is this an "assembly" that gives us both, crane and original perst functions, as in an adapter that other switches plug into?

Do you have a sketch or diagram for how all this would plug in/interface?

Edited for spelling and to add

After all that... I'm 100%in.

I am not an engineer. But I did crack a few of mine open to see if there is a way to give it a crane plug on the main body. I realize the loss of function with the rotary knob, and lockout bar. But a more optimal and common plug is a worthwhile trade off.

I have several of every generation perst 3 and 4
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I re-wired my PERST 4+ plug to work w/ SF plugs, haven't tried the Crane pressure pads.

Having a truly dedicated option would be way better. Count me in.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#13]
In, and had wondered why no one had done this already.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Any update on this?

I believe this same fella posted on TacSwap that he was going to do something like this.  I could be wrong as with as large of a community as we have, i'm sure someone else would probably want to jump on this.

We'd love to hear from you OP!
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah for sure I didn't understand exactly what the dude was talking about either, I just like the outcome we're talking about.  But yeah, you'd think we'd need to send him either your unit or preferred switch to get things modified.  I would rather have Crame plug receptacles on my -3's, but would also take Roosian plugs on the TAPs switches; I mean whichever comes first.  And losing the "gain" adjustment-meh.

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:41:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding] [#17]
Correct zero modification to your Perst I am only modifying the tape switch. Send it into me and I’ll ship back the new assembly that allows you to plug a Male crane plug into it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes this will be a dedicated assembly that will have the original Zenitco PCB inside AND a plug for crane. I will keep the rotary knob on the adapter (unless for some reason it is a problem) it will mount to a pic rail so plug arrangement will go perst laser plug in to my adapter and you plug your Taps modbutton etc into my adapter. I’m a electrical/biomedical engineer so currently getting up to speed on fusion 360 for mechanical assemblies but I should have a external representation on Cad in next few days I can post for feedback and input.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep Thats me on tacswap too. Been a journey on there with all my updates lol
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#20]
It’ll be a dedicated female crane plug with special request option for surefire female plug. Unfortunately I’m stuck using flash light tail caps for the female plugs as I’ve reached out all over the industry for a female plug Mfg for crane and surefire and gotten no help. Anyone in the industry that has connections that could get me this info or help would be greatly appreciated and reduce cost per unit for everyone.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh OK I'm tracking with ya now.  That is probably the simplest way of dealing with this.  No surprise nobody in the industry wants to help you; there are vested interests in keeping peeps buying their stuff, not Roosian.  They probably told Zenitco to "Suka, blyad" when/if they asked for some.  Keep up the good fight OP.  I'll buy a few of these.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Working on CAD for Gen 2 + 3 Mods. The Gen 2 I will do simultaneous/first now since it’ll essentially just be a tail cap holder for me to solder the connections in and close and waterproof and that will be very similar section on Gen 3 assembly.

Gen 2 will require cable send in now as Weipu in china won’t pre cable the connector for me due to low order quantity. So it would be cheaper/easier for all of us to just cut and splice the existing cable. If you already spliced it no biggie just send me the rusky half or whole thing and I’ll take what I need and send it all back.

Just placed a bulk order in for the crane tail caps and I will be exclusively using these, surefire plug upon special request only.

Will post external CAD pictures for input on design and feedback when ready.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Subscribed.

I've been considering selling my Perst 4 as its mostly useless to me.  This could change things as being able to use a dual lead mod button with this adapter changes the use case for that unit.

I hope this works out.  Let us know if you need beta testers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#24]
For Gen 2 I’m basically just making a tube nut to hold the flashlight tail cap. For anyone interested in Gen 2 do you want the tail cap to have a pic rail mount or just be on the cable and probably taped down?

Still getting the hang of fusion 360 and got a thread gauge otw so I should have Gen 2 plan done by the weekend.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I already have tested the way I’m hooking in a surefire plug (crane plugs otw) it works just need to design the housing and to burn a lot of ammo to make sure there’s no potential for issue. It’s their PCB so I’m more testing my solder joints, pic mount, and if potting the PCB or my Housing causes any heat issue. I can’t imagine there will be a problem it should be a fucking tank with the electronics Potted.. It’s only taking me a while cause I’m a junior electrical engineer and have no CAD experience outside of PCB design so designing a odd mechanical assembly is taking me some time to learn and figure out.

So hold on to your perst this is 100% happening it just might take me a month or so to actually be ready for orders.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Subscribed, and thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:33:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding] [#27]
Gen 2 CAD done getting a plastic 3D print made to see if I like how it turns out with the Zbolt tail cap on and if tolerance for cable and everything are correct. As of now it has no way to actually mount on gun it kind of looks like a little butt plug that connects to your Perst lol. To me it makes sense to just tape it down. If y’all want it to have mounts like the Gen 3 let me know.

Gen 3 I will not be making a dedicated Pic mount i will give threads for Scout style mounts OR I am thinking compatible with scout PRO mount might be a good way to suck it into the rifle. And this way you can mount it basically however and where ever you want.

So let me know what you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#29]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
@metalsaber

Didn't know if you had thoughts on his latest reply.
View Quote
Good question.  I'll have to think about it.  I know that the way I have my perst 3 and 4 are in a way I can just activate them by using the built in buttons.  I don't even use the remote pads. That's because I have them on a 12.5" guns and shorter.  

I imagine if I decided to move one to a dedicated 16" gun this might be pretty neat.

still interested in what the OP comes up with.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Gen 2 CAD done getting a plastic 3D print made to see if I like how it turns out with the Zbolt tail cap on and if tolerance for cable and everything are correct. As of now it has no way to actually mount on gun it kind of looks like a little butt plug that connects to your Perst lol. To me it makes sense to just tape it down. If y’all want it to have mounts like the Gen 3 let me know.

Gen 3 I will not be making a dedicated Pic mount i will give threads for Scout style mounts OR I am thinking compatible with scout PRO mount might be a good way to suck it into the rifle. And this way you can mount it basically however and where ever you want.

So let me know what you guys think?
View Quote

Not to be a tool, but I think I’d need to see pics of both to make a call. I think I can see what you’re describing in my minds eye, but I could be totally off and don’t want to give an opinion based on that.

Sorry
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Ha, I was sorta thinking the same thing.  At least some kind of sketch to visualize with, if you're afraid of peeps stealing your IP.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a gen2 and just put a perst plug on a pressure pad.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Diz:
Ha, I was sorta thinking the same thing.  At least some kind of sketch to visualize with, if you're afraid of peeps stealing your IP.
View Quote

True. Even pen on paper saying this will go here, it’ll be this long, here’s what/where the mounting interface is or isn’t.

I have a couple Gen 2 P2s and a few Gen 2 and 3 P3s so I might be in for a few depending on how things develop and what the final product(s) end up looking like.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:49:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding] [#34]
Gen 2

Obviously that's just a long rectangle and would break off as drawn depending on what we go with I'll suck it into the center of the cylinder closer to wire opening and ensure it is tight to mount and strong enough you wont break it. I just bought a Scout Pro for measuring so I can give you a Scout Pro mount (I emailed a US company to try and get those Shoulder Pins made to save $) or the threads for the scout/modlight so you'll have basically a enclosed tail cap on a mount to plug into.

I'll get rid of the polygon and make it a slightly larger cylinder than the tail cap so it cant get caught.

Gen 3  

I am currently at testing threads phase of Gen 2 its not a standard thread pitch and I have not designed the enclosed assembly cause I have to figure out how to accommodate all 4 potential switches. This box is larger than it will need to be it will be closer to current switch size but a little longer to accommodate up to KV-D2P switch. The wide "bottom" edge of the box would be where I'd put scout threads so it lays flat and low to a scout mount. The pro mount makes more sense to put on the side to swivel it tight to the handguard to again get the wide bottom edge against the 45 degree position on the handguard.

This is the Zbolt Crane tail cap I am using for reference of what screws in to these.
https://www.z-bolt.com/rcpt-black-surefire-ue-type-tailcap#parentHorizontalTab4

I am potting the internal electronics in 3M resin aswell so that the potential for the solder joint to fail should be basically zero. I have friends with machine guns I intend to use to ensure the assembly is good to go before taking orders.

Open to all criticism and input I do not have the experience with running lights and lasers as most of you I bet so let me know what you think.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:03:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding] [#35]
Bit better representation with approximate minimum measurements for Gen 3. This is just what has to be there to accommodate PCBs and threaded cap same explanation as above, the Pro swivel mount would go on the side and threads for modlight style mounts on bottom. I may just do both so you got options as I don't think a couple extra threads will really add much to cost unless there's a large consensus for one mount. Also now realizing that I could get asked to do any of the possible 4 perst switches I will not be keeping the brightness dial.

It would have to be a seperate Assembly but is anyone interested in a dual plug for Perst 2 or has the Klesh light aswell and would want it consolidated?

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:36:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding] [#36]
Gen 2
Spacing and measurements for the old scout mount threads is correct, the pro mount blocks I just winged cause I dont have my light yet.
So for visualization if you look at a light on a mount the half shell is about the radius of a surefire/zbolt tail cap and it is 1.25" long this will protect the mount arm so it can't snap off I’ll connect it to the mount arm so it should be pretty strong (I’ll try to break one to see what it takes to break) and I can cut slots at the bottom edge of the half shell to give a place to put the cord up and tape in place.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I have added a Poll for what switch you want modified, I am working on the Gen 3 assembly currently. Here is my prospective design until I get the Pro mount and get a real measurement on the shoulder nut and thread pitch there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Pics aren’t showing for me on a desktop or iPhone. I hit approve images, but not sure if it’s because OP is too new.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn they did seem dumb to me too but it worked as a link lemme read the how to post pics thread it could have to do with my low post count. Are you posting BB code or just the hosting site Url in the img brackets?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:22:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding] [#40]
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#41]
It does say if you’re under 50 posts it has to be approved by multiple people. I know I’m flaming post rn (sorry guys) it shows up in preview so I think when a few more people approve you guys can all see it ?

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:44:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#43]

It does say if you’re under 50 posts it has to be approved by multiple people. I know I’m flaming post rn (sorry guys) it shows up in preview so I think when a few more people approve you guys can all see it ?

https://i.ibb.co/QNML4cz/Screenshot-2022-09-20-151324.png
View Quote

I see both of those.

Your other posts are still missing the pics
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:07:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cryesncoding] [#44]
Older photos were shittier than new one since I’ve been adding a lot in last couple days to designs.

here is the Gen 2 concept

Out rn can post other angles if y’all want later.

2 open holes on bottom are modlight compatible. I’ll open up the center so all light mounts should work

2 blocks on side with holes are how I think scout pro would be best there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#45]
depending on the price I would be interested in 2
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#46]
@Sbd2 once I get them milled out of 6061 aluminum and get a price on that and make it on my Gen 2 so I see how long it takes I’ll be able to determine price. Same for Gen 3 guys
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#47]
https://i.ibb.co/t2x1nj4/Screenshot-2022-09-19-142644.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://i.ibb.co/t2x1nj4/Screenshot-2022-09-19-142644.png

once I get them milled out of 6061 aluminum and get a price on that and make it on my Gen 2 so I see how long it takes I’ll be able to determine price.

Not sure if I understand correctly, but I don’t see how the above pic could be machined.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#48]
I’m not a machinist or mech engineer but I don’t see why it can’t other than it’s small size and maybe some angles by the Pro blocks. I’ll send it to a friend who i worked with who designs parts tho and get input now. If that won’t work I’ll look at metal 3D printing or redesign to accommodate machining. Thanks for input
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Ok so Gen 3 is gtg, you’re right about the Gen 2 it would require brazing or multiple pieces, redrawing it up and going to beef up the mount arm and come up at an angle so it’s very secure without needing the half shell overhang will post new version hopefully tonight when I get a chance to draw it up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:15:10 AM EDT
[#50]
This will be much simpler to machine and stronger than that half shell thing I did before.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top