Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2024 6:27:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProbableColtAddict]
I thought I was done buying them until I lucked into another one with a pristine bore. The one I already had a bunch of early features and this one had a bunch of later features so I had to do it.

It's a 42 Tula/Mednogorsk with a later heavy stock, no rails, one piece front band, later upper sheet metal barrel shroud, and the simplified muzzle brake. About the only early major parts are the sight leaf and trigger guard.

Ol' Ivan went a little overboard with the sander removing the original stock cartouche and also decided to grind a nice flat spot for the new serial number! You can see a divot where the original markings were. It's not quite as noticeable in person but I've caught the light on it in such a way as to accentuate it. Out with the old:

And in with the new:

The stock and handguard both exhibit a lot of chatter on their inner surfaces and the outer surfaces were only marginally sanded so it feels very rough. Because of this, the new shellac isn't as shiny as we often see. This gives the rifle a little more of a wartime look which is neat.

No repairs were necessary but, for some reason, they filled the full- auto divot on the right side of the stock. That seems goofy to me but, as we all know, you see all kinds of weird stuff on the refurbs:

The main selling point though was the bore. You seldom come across an SVT 40 with an as new bore:

So, I THINK I'm done buying these rifles now. I have two now. One is mostly early features and the other is mostly late. Both have pristine bores so I'm done. At least, that's what I'm telling myself!

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Lucky dog.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice.  I had one many years ago but the barrel was so shot out I couldn't hit paper reliably at 100 yards so I returned it. Never found another one and now I think they're pretty pricey.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
A good one!
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
My main collecting focus was Finnish so I ended up with a pair of Finn capture 1941 SVT's, one each from Izhevsk and Tula. I really should have picked up a Russian refurb back in the day, with prices where they are I probably never will at this point.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice!  Do you have any detail pictures you can post?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Finn capture here

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Outstanding OP. That bore looks awesome.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Excellent SVTs all.

My brother had a nice condition SA-marked SVT-40. He later sold it. While I don't miss it, it was really fun while he had it. Good accuracy, reliability was fine. That brake was a real head-turner at the range. LOUD!
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:29:52 AM EDT
[#12]
You need a legit sniper.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top