Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2024 12:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hobo]
Is this a Malaysian carrier?   If so, are these exact parts actually made in Malaysia?  
It does install in a semi stock. ( Thanks Josh)

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the cocking piece semi or auto?

I don’t remember which one between the semi or auto carrier has larger ID guide rods holes… I think it’s the semi so that an auto carrier won’t fit a semi stock…
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The auto carrier has larger ID in the carrier for the guide rods. And the FA stock guide rods are shorter to accommodate the length of the anti bounce weights in the thrust tubes of the carrier.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
What parts of those Malay parts-kits can be used in a semi M1 A3? I'd like a spare bolt and other parts. Maybe a battle-worn stock would be cool also.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:46:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
What parts of those Malay parts-kits can be used in a semi M1 A3? I'd like a spare bolt and other parts. Maybe a battle-worn stock would be cool also.
View Quote

You can’t use the stock, as it’s FA. The retaining latch is wider on the FA stock. Modifying the FA latch to fit a SA receiver makes a machinegun.

The bolt groups are well worn on all four kits I’ve had in hand. To the point that I’d use a new bolt to be safe.

The carrier won’t function in a SA stock without removing the anti bounce weights or cutting them shorter. @jbntx did a fantastic write up on this a few years ago here on arfcom.

The best use for the ex-Malay kits by someone who is not a SOT is the Nylaug, which apparently addresses blocking fullauto in some way other than the traditional AUG.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:31:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ITCHY-FINGER] [#6]
Thank you for the excellent explanation.

edit: I think I will look for spare parts elsewhere since they will not fit or be very worn.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By hobo:
Is this a Malaysian carrier?   If so, are these exact parts actually made in Malaysia?  
It does install in a semi stock. ( Thanks Josh)

https://assets.gunbroker.com/pics/1045899000/1045899659/pix401570820.jpg
View Quote

Even if it’s FA it will install in a SA stock, but it won’t have enough rearward travel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Even if it’s FA it will install in a SA stock, but it won’t have enough rearward travel.
View Quote

The opening diameter where the rods enter the carrier are slightly larger.  
I was able to fit it into a semi stock with a semi receiver.  Am I good ?    I guess I should disassemble.

Also, if Malaysian ,  where was it made ?     Back home in (A) ?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:51:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#9]
I was able to fit it into a semi stock with a semi receiver.  Am I good ?    I guess I should disassemble.
View Quote
If you haven't fired it you're good. I think if you do fire it, you'll bend the guide rods in your semi-auto stock (or worse).

But like he said, you can either remove the 2 weights inside the front of the carrier assembly, or shorten them, and then it'll work fine. There's probably some rust in there too you'll want to clean out. (Mine was rusty.)

The weights are anti-bounce weights and they're not needed unless you're firing full auto (which is one reason they're not included in semi-auto AUGs).
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Also, if Malaysian ,  where was it made ?     Back home in (A) ?
View Quote

FA carriers have larger diameter ID for the rods in the FA stock. So you have a FA carrier.

I have ex-Malay kits that are Steyr made and that are SMA (Malaysian) made. The only obvious part to delineate the two is the stock. No clue re: carriers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top