Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2024 2:53:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deputyjason]
Hey guys.  
My dad bought this 30 years ago at an estate sale for $40. The metal is mint. I would love to bring it back to military configuration.  Parts seem unobtainable though.

I know so little about them but from basic googling I’m trying to decide if it’s an m1894 or m1912 short rifle.

It was made in 1923.  Barrel is 23 1/4 from the top to the receiver. It shoots that weird 6.5 bullet

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
My Grandfather fed his family (11 kids) with a 30/40 Krag until my Father returned from Korea and upgraded him to a M94 Winchester .30WCF.

I've got his M94, I wish I had that Krag too.

Cool rifle, good luck finding a stock
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:54:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IndyGrendel63] [#2]
Originally Posted By Deputyjason:
Hey guys.  
My dad bought this 30 years ago at an estate sale for $40. The metal is mint. I would love to bring it back to military configuration.  Parts seem unobtainable though.

I know so little about them but from basic googling I’m trying to decide if it’s an m1894 or m1912 short rifle.

It was made in 1923.  Barrel is 23 1/4 from the top to the receiver. It shoots that weird 6.5 bullet

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67272/IMG_5235_jpeg-3100947.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67272/IMG_5234_jpeg-3100948.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67272/IMG_5233_jpeg-3100951.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67272/IMG_5232_jpeg-3100952.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67272/IMG_5246_jpeg-3100953.JPG
View Quote

If you don’t want it, I’ll take it off your hands 😉 I have a thing for both Krags and that odd 6.5 caliber.

Edit to add: 1923 is well past the end of U.S. production. Plus that bolt knob looks “civilian” to me. Could it be a civilian production krag rifle? Made in Europe?
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:52:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RogueJSK] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I’m trying to decide if it’s an m1894 or m1912 short rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I’m trying to decide if it’s an m1894 or m1912 short rifle.

It's a m1912 carbine/short rifle.  The easiest way to tell is the rear sight base, with the m1894s having rear sight bases mounted further forward on the barrel, unlike the m1912's rear sight base just in front of the receiver.  Yours also has the m1912 style of bolt handle and trigger guard.

In this photo, the middle Krag-Jorgensen is a m1894 and the bottom is a m1912 like yours.  (Top is a Danish m1899.)  Compare the rear sights, trigger guards, and bolt handles to yours.

Unfortunately, finding a replacement original stock, handguard, and hardware will be damn near impossible.

Originally Posted By IndyGrendel63:
Edit to add: 1923 is well past the end of U.S. production. Plus that bolt knob looks “civilian” to me. Could it be a civilian production krag rifle? Made in Europe?

It's not a US M1892-M1899.  It's a Norwegian m1912, made for the Norwegian military at the Kongsberg factory in Norway.  That "lollipop" style of bolt handle is correct for the Norwegian m1912.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the help guys.
Wow, these can fetch some money when they’re intact. It’s a shame it received bubba’s makeover. The metal is excellent and the bore is great.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:34:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgenlvtex] [#5]
Thanks for all the help guys.
Wow, these can fetch some money when they’re intact. It’s a shame it received bubba’s makeover. The metal is excellent and the bore is great.
View Quote

Is the barrel cut?
Do you know exactly what you are missing?
Here is you a re-pro stock
Here is the forward band and bayonet lug
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:

Is the barrel cut?
View Quote

Thank you very much!
The barrel does not appear to be cut and seems pretty correct for the specs on the m1912 rifle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Thank you very much!
The barrel does not appear to be cut and seems pretty correct for the specs on the m1912 rifle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:

Is the barrel cut?

Thank you very much!

Oh wow... I love spending OTHER people's money, but even for six hundo I'd be tempted to put that back to mil configuration with one of those stock sets.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SnaitN:

Oh wow... I love spending OTHER people's money, but even for six hundo I'd be tempted to put that back to mil configuration with one of those stock sets.
View Quote

Do it! Shooter grade Krag carbine in 6.5mm and back in mil trim.....it must be done.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Blitzkreig:

Do it! Shooter grade Krag carbine in 6.5mm and back in mil trim.....it must be done.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blitzkreig:
Originally Posted By SnaitN:

This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top