Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 1/13/2024 7:50:43 PM EDT
Poll options are pretty straightforward. I'm in the market for a scope.

I want to buy once, cry once, but also want my purchase to be justified.

Adding the LRF option to a scope is a pretty significant cost upgrade. So let's hear your opinions on it's value.

I currently hunt with a Sightmark wraith and AGM Taipan scanner. One thing I've noticed is that judging distance in the dark is damn near impossible. That being said, with a fast, flat shooting round, how necessary is it?

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Think if I lived in an area where greater than a 200 yard shot was possible I’d need / want it. But living in North Ga it’s just something that I don’t need.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can afford the scope you want without sacrificing quality to get an LRF, and still get the LRF, go for it. I recall a passed shot opportunity that I could have taken with a better long range setup once. It was 300 or 400m and I don’t know which.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:20:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Flat shooting is the key, but the newer Pulsar's with the app (phone connected to scope while ranging *strange that ATN has been doing this with built in tech*) can adjust your hold over for you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 12:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#5]
Originally Posted By IwearMossyOak:
Poll options are pretty straightforward. I'm in the market for a scope.
I want to buy once, cry once, but also want my purchase to be justified.
Adding the LRF option to a scope is a pretty significant cost upgrade. So let's hear your opinions on it's value.
I currently hunt with a Sightmark wraith and AGM Taipan scanner. One thing I've noticed is that judging distance in the dark is damn near impossible. That being said, with a fast, flat shooting round, how necessary is it?
View Quote

That's true about judging distance at night w/o a LRF.

Just my opinion, but with something like a Sightmark Wraith Mini thermal that doesn't have a LRF, you're just going to have to accept shorter shooting distances on the 'yotes with a rifle zeroed for a MPBZ distance with a particular cartridge. Typically that'll be inside 250-yds.

So for example, a Wraith Mini mounted on a 5.56 AR that's been zero-ed for a MPBR of 200- or 250-yds with 55grn Match OTMs. Know the areas where you hunt and pre-range them for your MPBZ distance. In my area with large farms fields  - some of them 400-yds across and maybe 300-yds wide to a tree line, I know where an MPBZ distance of 250-yds is. Any 'yote responding to a call that comes within that MPBZ is a simple hold-on and shoot. I already know what the distance is  - maybe it's a stump out in the field at 200yds that the 'yote passes coming in.

A buddy who lives in a similar rural area in another county sets up deer gut-piles out in the fields around his place at known distances (e.g., 300-yds) and zeroes for those. No LRF needed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#6]
My night hunting is usually in wooded areas where the shots are short 50-75 yards.  Now I do wish I had a LRF on my thermal but its not a deal breaker for me.

I just wish i had the extra $ to buy a nicer thermal.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doubleshot00:
My night hunting is usually in wooded areas where the shots are short 50-75 yards.  Now I do wish I had a LRF on my thermal but its not a deal breaker for me.
I just wish i had the extra $ to buy a nicer thermal.
View Quote

What thermal are you running?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I voted have one and glad I spent the money on it. But what I actually have is a scanner with an LRF. I had been kicking around upgrading my scope to LRF but went with a Pulsar Axion XG35 instead. I spend 10x time looking through a scanner as the rifle scope so it seemed like a better option. I generally have the stand ranged out before I go to the rifle so it works. There is definitely a downside on follow ups though. If you miss at 200 then get him stopped you would have to get off the gun to range. I'll probably end up with an LRF rifle scope also.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

What thermal are you running?
View Quote

AGM ts-25-256.  Wish i had the extra $ for the 384 version.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#10]
LRF wasn't an option when I purchased my Bering Super Yoter 50 a couple of years ago.

I would get the LRF version if I were buying today.  I'm getting better at judging distance at night, but it is imprecise.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I don’t have one and I agree that judging distance is difficult.
But, here’s the thing, many thermals don’t lend themselves to quick DOPE adjustments anyway. So, no matter the range, you are still limited to maximum point blank range.
For what I do, the stadia metric ranging works fine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I've always had the opportunity to view my areas ahead of time. A quick scan with the LRF and I'm set. Truth be told, most of us are probably shooting within 200 yards anyway... I don't see the need or value in a LRF under most conditions guys hunt in. I suppose where the shot opportunities can be far and pressure has coyote often holding up it would help.

My longest night kill was 375ish yards... I just estimated a hold and had no problem... plenty of 200ish kills, same thing.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#13]
For those wishing they had a LRF with their optic, this is a good option. I have been using it, and it’s fairly accurate

https://fallrivershooters.com/products/rmh1200lrf-side-mounted-laser-rangefinder
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Xerith:
For those wishing they had a LRF with their optic, this is a good option. I have been using it, and it’s fairly accurate

https://fallrivershooters.com/products/rmh1200lrf-side-mounted-laser-rangefinder
View Quote

How does that work in conjunction with a thermal optic at night?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:50:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNC] [#15]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TNC:
I got a 640, glad I ponied up the extra coin.

It's from Armasight, they went on a long vacation and no longer support my model. Truth be told their support was shit from day 1.

If I was doing it over I'd save more money and get a trijicon
View Quote

A cousins husband showed me his reap ir several years ago. I googled it later and it was $12k.  Two years ago it just stopped working. He sent it to trijicon, they couldnt fix it and sent it back with a sorry that sucks letter.  Wish I knew more of the details and I'm sure the warranty was up but hes not a big hunter and I doubt it saw heavy use.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
Think if I lived in an area where greater than a 200 yard shot was possible I’d need / want it. But living in North Ga it’s just something that I don’t need.
View Quote

Kinda thought that way as well living in North Ga, but I know for a fact around 75 dead coyotes wish I hadnt had thermal

Most shots here are around 50-60 yards
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top