Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 3/12/2024 5:32:56 PM EDT
Would you rather have a vintage Winchester 62 or a brand new Henry 22lr pump action rifle for general plinking and target shooting?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:09:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlueDrewT] [#1]
If I had a choice between the Winchester or  the  Henry I'd pick the Winchester but if I could choose outside of those two I'd find a Remington 572 Fieldmaster over either of those.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlueDrewT:
Find a Remington 572 Fieldmaster.
View Quote

Added to my shopping list. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlueDrewT:
Find a Remington 572 Fieldmaster.

I agree 100%
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The old Rossis were dang good rifles too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By rojotx:
View Quote

I like the Rossi. My Rossi 62SA also takes 22S which I don't think the Winchesters do.

CB Shorts are a hoot out of it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
FieldMaster is my pick, I have one of the original Rossi 22LR's,  it's okay but even after all that use it's still a bit rough and the wood is not the best.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#7]
"Other" being Remington Model 12.  Their downside is that modern high velocity (i.e., high pressure) ammo should not be used as it can crack the bolt.  But the styling and manufacture is old school American greatness.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve got a little stainless Taurus pump I bought for my son years ago and it’s been great. Fun little carbine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jwb211:
I’ve got a little stainless Taurus pump I bought for my son years ago and it’s been great. Fun little carbine.
View Quote

Yep, the Taurus and Rossi are clones of the Winchester 62.  I’ve seen a few stainless with a 16.5” barrel that look pretty cool.  The takedown feature is a nice bonus.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Are there any pump action 22's that come threaded from the factory?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By arndog123:
View Quote

All the ones I’ve seen have a tubular magazine which would require removing the can to reload.   That said most appear to have enough barrel in front of the front sight to have it threaded.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SecondAmend:
"Other" being Remington Model 12.  Their downside is that modern high velocity (i.e., high pressure) ammo should not be used as it can crack the bolt.  But the styling and manufacture is old school American greatness.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

I've got the later version, model 121. Very accurate, longer barrel. There was a factory scope mount for them when they were new but it's almost impossible to find now. Lots of family history with that rifle-when my parents were married my dad taught my mom how to load it.

She got scared one night while he was working(I was a baby). Thought someone was breaking in, so she sat at the top of the steps with a clear view of the door with me on her lap and that rifle beside her.

It was a wedding gift to my parents from my mom's great uncle(he bought it new in the 50s).
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#13]

All the ones I’ve seen have a tubular magazine which would require removing the can to reload.   That said most appear to have enough barrel in front of the front sight to have it threaded.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By arndog123:

I don't recall seeing photos of or in person examples of factory threaded pump (or lever) action .22 rifles with under the barrel tubular magazines, but aftermarket threaded muzzle adapters were well known (shown in old Maxim ads).  I used to own a Remington Model 12C with such an adapter that had 1/2-20, two-lobe, interrupted threads.
To address the issue of loading a tubular magazine for a rifle that is suppressed, there are at least two common approaches.  One is to use an interrupted thread mount so that the silencer mount, removal, and remount operations can be done quickly (as is seen in movies and tv shows).  Another approach is to use an asymmetrical silencer that is indexed with the threads tight when the large side of the silencer is down (which also provides an unobstructed use of the sights); and for loading or reloading, the silencer is rotated a half turn to having the large side up and small side down which provides clearance for the mag push tube.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#14]
For new the only two available are Henries and Rossies. I went and have a new Henry .22LR, L, S. It also comes in a .22 Mag version. I've only sighted it in at 10 yards so far and is a bit stiff on the action so hopefully a bit of wear will loosen it some. I'll be taking it out to 50 yards next go around. At ten yards I can drive nail heads in that are on a post so hopefully only a bit of tweaking at 50. I know I can put a peep sight on but I wanted the nostalgic feel as I made a shooting gallery for it and I want the whole 60's atmosphere. I specify the various 22's in the first one as the new Rossies only use 22LR. They fall far and away from the old version and they are only half of what the Henry goes for but once you handle one, you'll realize why the cost difference.

If I could find a nice minty Remington I would have gone that route but locally the ones here look like somebodies great granddad used it to procure squirrels during the depression, a boat paddle and an occasional walking cane..
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:48:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shack357] [#15]
Originally Posted By Taipan01:
For new the only two available are Henries and Rossies. I went and have a new Henry .22LR, L, S. It also comes in a .22 Mag version. I've only sighted it in at 10 yards so far and is a bit stiff on the action so hopefully a bit of wear will loosen it some. I'll be taking it out to 50 yards next go around. At ten yards I can drive nail heads in that are on a post so hopefully only a bit of tweaking at 50. I know I can put a peep sight on but I wanted the nostalgic feel as I made a shooting gallery for it and I want the whole 60's atmosphere. I specify the various 22's in the first one as the new Rossies only use 22LR. They fall far and away from the old version and they are only half of what the Henry goes for but once you handle one, you'll realize why the cost difference.

If I could find a nice minty Remington I would have gone that route but locally the ones here look like somebodies great granddad used it to procure squirrels during the depression, a boat paddle and an occasional walking cane..
View Quote

I know what you mean. A 121 in decent shape brings as much as a 39A-and they're every bit as fun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:32:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By shack357:

I know what you mean. A 121 in decent shape brings as much as a 39A-and they're every bit as fun.
View Quote

This'll make you cry. I do have a JM Marlin Golden 39A that I bought new 20 years ago. I've added a Williams peep onto it and a leather cobra sling. Of course I held onto the plug screws as like any firearm I modify I keep all the original parts. With new lever actions, I disassemble and clean them first and then throw the levers a few thousand times, cleaning and lubing the internals every 500 or so throws. I really smooths out the actions. As of today's writing, it has only 370 LR's down the tube (yes, I'm that anal with my records) to zero the original irons and then the Williams peep. The throw is buttery smooth, the sights are spot on and the finish is 100%.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m a big fan of the old Winchester pump .22 LR rifles.

I also like the Remington Model 12 and its successor the Model 121.

Rossi used to make a Model 62 imported by Interarms and it was a very nice copy of the Winchester Model 62.  It’s  just as high on my list.

—-

Someone mentioned the 572 Fieldmaster that was the follow on to the Remington 121 Fieldmaster.  While it’s a very nice pump action .22 LR by modern standards (Henry pump action .22 LR) it’s still a less expensive to produce, lower quality firearm compared to the original Pedersen designed 12 and 121.

The Henry pump action .22 LR, like other Henry rimfire rifles, is an inexpensive to produce .22 that is an ok shooter but is no where near the same quality as the older Winchester, Remington and Rossi pump action rifles.  

The only thing that makes the Henry look really good is the current Rossi Gallery  pump action .22 LR.  It isn’t even in the same universe as the vintage Winchester, Remington and Rossi rifles.   It’s lacking in looks, quality, fit and finish.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SecondAmend:

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

The Pedersen designed Model 12 and Model 121 are gun art.

—-

Winchester stuck with the .22 WRF for decades in the face of stiff competition from the .22 LR.  It felt the 45 gr bullet and 100 fps or so faster velocity would eventually win a loyal following.  While they chambered the 1906 for the .22 LR, Winchester did not chamber the 1890 in .22 LR until 1919.

However when Remington introduced the High Velocity .22 LR in 1930 it spelled the end for the .22 WRF, and also prompted Remington to update the Model 12 to the Model 121 in order to allow a steady diet of high velocity .22 LR ammunition.

The high velocity .22 LR and the downfall of the .22 WRF, eventually prompted Winchester (after a depression, a World War and the Korean conflict) to develop the .22 WMR - the modern .22 Mag.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:52:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#19]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

I like the Rossi. My Rossi 62SA also takes 22S which I don't think the Winchesters do.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rojotx:

The first generation Rossi also had the ability to hold the trigger down, and fire with just the cycling of the slide. As mentioned earlier, the current Rossi looks too much like a BB gun.

A ‘forgotten’ pump rifle is the Winchester model 270 (.22  S, L, LR) and model 275 (.22 WMR). Made from mid ‘60s to mid ‘70s. Also it’s siblings ( model 150/250/255 lever action, and model 190/290 semi auto).
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

The 1890 was available in .22 Short, .22 Long and .22 WRF initially, and was not chambered in .22 LR until 1919.  All of them were caliber specific.

Winchester 1906 was originally chambered only in .22 Short but in 1908 they modified the design to feed .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle.

The Model 62 came in both the Standard Model designed for .22 Short, Long and Long rifle, as well as the Gallery Model which only chambered .22 Short.  The former has a bullet shaped loading port while the Gallery model has a triangular shaped loading port.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Well I have a Remington 572 on the way.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

I got my 121 for $350 back in 22' at an estate action, fun little gun. I just wish I could find a nice takedown case for it. I have pretty well decided I'll make one out of wood eventually.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I own two Taurus model 62 clones. I am not a big fan of Taurus but both guns run without major issue.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#24]
DakotaFAL knows his Schwing…..that’s all very esoteric knowledge that few people know.  Well done.

I’d love to see a full post with your library photographically documented!

My favorite is the 1890, and the 1919+ 22LR is top of my list.  I have a “few” of the JMB masterpieces.

I’m surpirsed no one mentioned the Winchester 61.  Though I’m a JMB fan I think the 61 is the pinnacle of Winchesters pump actions.  Though perhaps superior in design I still prefer the hammer versioned Winchester pumps.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:

I got my 121 for $350 back in 22' at an estate action, fun little gun. I just wish I could find a nice takedown case for it. I have pretty well decided I'll make one out of wood eventually.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:

Hell of a buy! I haven't seen a 121 for $350 in 20 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top