Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2023 10:40:08 AM EDT
Did ruger ever make this model in blued steel with a wood stock?
All I can find are stainless with plastic stocks.

I have a 77/44, blued with a walnut stock. Very nice looking gun and I love it.
I kinda want it's little brother, but I would want it to match.  (blue/walnut)
However all I can find is stainless with plastic stocks. I am starting to think they never offered them in blued steel with a wood stock.

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like this question has been asked a few times over the years on various forums. I think the consensus is that all the 77/357 guns were stainless/synthetic, but the 77/44 Walnut stock would fit the 357 so you could at least make a stainless/walnut version. The Ruger part # is j20438. It might still available, look HERE

I got one of the 77/44 guns years ago (blue/walnut) and have taken a few deer and knocked over several steel targets. Its amazing how tame the .44 Magnum feels in a long gun vs. a handgun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Shame they never offered a blued version.
Not sure if I even want to bother trying to find one then. I am just not a fan of stainless bolt action rifles weather they have wood or synthetic stocks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
They did sell a blued version but it was in the black plastic stock.  I looked for one for years, because I don’t like the stainless either, but they always sold for stupid money.  One post I read said they were a Davidsons exclusive.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting.
If it was blued, I would not care about the plastic stock as that can be replaced easy.
However sounds like it is a unicorn if it was a exclusive. So therefore will be way out of my price range.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SNAFU-M1A:
They did sell a blued version but it was in the black plastic stock.  I looked for one for years, because I don’t like the stainless either, but they always sold for stupid money.  One post I read said they were a Davidsons exclusive.
View Quote

You are correct! I've found a handful of forums mentioning that blue version. Here is one
And here's a picture

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder why they never made many in blued?
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:
Shame they never offered a blued version.
Not sure if I even want to bother trying to find one then. I am just not a fan of stainless bolt action rifles weather they have wood or synthetic stocks.
View Quote
Buy a SS, get a nitride or DLC coating and a walnut stock, get the best of all worlds?
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
Buy a SS, get a nitride or DLC coating and a walnut stock, get the best of all worlds?
View Quote

I suppose that could be done, but the price would make it more than I would want to spend. Plus I have a few nitrided barrels and they are not quite a perfect match to bluing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#9]
They did one, but I can't remember the model number on it.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I never understood why ruger loves to put a stainless bolt handle and shroud into a blued receiver. Looks so goofy/out of place. It makes the gun look like someone replaced the bolt assembly with the wrong one.
I have noticed this on a lot of the 77 series guns (77/44 and 77/22).
Lucky all my 77/22's and my 77/44 have blued bolt handles.

But I would still prefer that over the stainless receiver/barrel.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:
I never understood why ruger loves to put a stainless bolt handle and shroud into a blued receiver. Looks so goofy/out of place. It makes the gun look like someone replaced the bolt assembly with the wrong one.
I have noticed this on a lot of the 77 series guns (77/44 and 77/22).
Lucky all my 77/22's and my 77/44 have blued bolt handles.

But I would still prefer that over the stainless receiver/barrel.
View Quote

I can’t remember the color, but there is a cerakote that is pretty close to a blued steel. When I get my 77/357 I’m debating that or tungsten.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top