Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2023 9:05:08 PM EDT
I heard 5-7 gr of Bullseye is the normal for reloading a blank round. I read a .016 brass burst disc Or using cardboard glued over the charge is acceptable. Is that still a recommended way to reload the .38 blanks?

I didn't see anything restricted about asking about reloading info in the forums. Let me know if I missed it.

Any place sell new or fired .38 blanks??
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#1]
5-7gr sounds right, but I haven't tried yet. I got lucky and picked up a bag of .mil blanks when they were in stock.

As for a source of blanks, some folks have said .380 rimmed works.

Example (not an endorsement): https://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/-380-REVOLVER-_p_10.html
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
38BLP are the proper blanks if you can find them. MAST was selling off factory ones on gunbroker a while back.

If you are reloading them, try to use soft primers. I picked up a case of the copper ones used in real 212 cases a while ago. Yes, I use 7 grains of Bullseye, a cardboard wad to slightly compress and a brass disc with roll crimp to close them. I picked up a bag of 2k brass discs from MAST a few years back for reloading. With 7 grains, your loads will be a little compressed to get all that powder in the space allocated. GROG
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NAM:
5-7gr sounds right, but I haven't tried yet. I got lucky and picked up a bag of .mil blanks when they were in stock.

As for a source of blanks, some folks have said .380 rimmed works.

Example (not an endorsement): https://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/-380-REVOLVER-_p_10.html
View Quote

Interesting. Might try that out for some science. I've had my M203 approved for some time now but haven't really been able to shoot chalk rounds due to lack of lift charges. I attempted to reload my own but was only getting about 50-75yards of distance out of them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have also just been using BolandFX full power 38spl blanks. They seem to be pretty equivalent lift charge and not bad price if you want to avoid reloading. Need a little silicon to hold in most cases.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone purchase the KAK 40mm blank launcher reloading kit? Curious...may have to grab one at some point, but I have enough blanks to let someone else beta test. :-D
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered a few boxes of Boland fx blanks. I'll chrono some to get data.

Bonetti now offers blanks as well. Not sure what he wants for them, but they are 9mm cases with burst disks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 3:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]
The Bonetti ones can be inserted deeper than the standard rimmed blanks because there isn’t a rim. Just an FYI
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
I just ordered a few boxes of Boland fx blanks. I'll chrono some to get data.

Bonetti now offers blanks as well. Not sure what he wants for them, but they are 9mm cases with burst disks.
View Quote

Interested to hear your results with the Bolands.  I suspect my batch from CDVS is loaded hot, as they keep bulging my aluminum cases (MK Ballistics & eXact Impact).  May need to stock up on Bolands instead if they are more appropriately loaded.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Just picked up (250) - .35 /.357 CALIBER GATOR GAS CHECKS for $8.00 from Sage Outdoors

They are described as "similar to the Hornady brand, made from annealed .010 C2100 gliding brass"

Is .010 too thin, compared to the recommended .016"?
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you seen this from KAK Industries?

KAK Industries M781 Reloading Components.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By acgeorge:
Have you seen this from KAK Industries?

KAK Industries M781 Reloading Components.
View Quote

Yeah KAK told us a couple weeks ago the good news. They expect to get pushers in the next few weeks and keep adding more to the menu. I am trying to convince them to make a couple more unique rounds as well
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#12]
$2 pushers is awesome to see.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SaturationTech:
View Quote

For real! When i have extras I sell them for $2.50ea USED!

They just killed my market, and I'm 100% ok with that! Haha.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bugapeno:

Interested to hear your results with the Bolands.  I suspect my batch from CDVS is loaded hot, as they keep bulging my aluminum cases (MK Ballistics & eXact Impact).  May need to stock up on Bolands instead if they are more appropriately loaded.
View Quote

Interesting...I have a bag of blanks for CDVS, and so far they've been fine in M212 cases. It's worth noting that the smaller hole cases tend to get the gas check stuck; I'd only do star crimped in those. I was going to pick up some MK cases and leave some as is for star crimps, and drill some out for .mil/.38 blanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SaturationTech:
View Quote

Ugh,  I fell of notifications for this thread. $2?  They had a few in stock just now and went fast. They were $3.89.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone purchase the KAK 40mm blank launcher reloading kit? Curious...may have to grab one at some point, but I have enough blanks to let someone else beta test. :-D
View Quote

I just ordered one. Looks like you need 2 dies. One for loading and one to remove the crimp to reload. Instead of dropping $80+ for a sizer, I will see if a regular .38 sizing die would work.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:22:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#17]
Originally Posted By BrianSki:

I just ordered one. Looks like you need 2 dies. One for loading and one to remove the crimp to reload. Instead of dropping $80+ for a sizer, I will see if a regular .38 sizing die would work.
View Quote

Old thread. :-)

I ordered the reloading kit, but haven't had a chance to use it. I assumed the cases would be single use, as they're likely to crack. A .38 sizing die *should* work...I can try with mine, but guessing they'll crack.

I have also used some .380r blanks with good success. Not as powerful as .38BLP, but sometimes that's good. They do a good job of igniting airburst arty sim rounds, and work well with smaller hole casings (where the burst disc will jam).

One of these days I'll try chrono-ing a .mil M781 and a chalk with the .380 blank. Then from there, try working up a load for a similar power blank.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Old thread. :-)

I ordered the reloading kit, but haven't had a chance to use it. I assumed the cases would be single use, as they're likely to crack. A .38 sizing die *should* work...I can try with mine, but guessing they'll crack.

I have also used some .380r blanks with good success. Not as powerful as .38BLP, but sometimes that's good. They do a good job of igniting airburst arty sim rounds, and work well with smaller hole casings (where the burst disc will jam).
View Quote

I posted on another thread... a .38 sizing/powder die is way to small to flare out the mouth to insert the gas check. Bummer... Maybe I can make one that will work.

I picked up some .380 blanks myself, so will see what that does.

I have a bunch of projects going on. I need to settle on one and run it to the end.

Not that old of a thread... Not like the 20 year old ones I have been resurrecting. :)
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#19]
BTW do you even need to resize the .38 blank cases?? Just open up the flare and deprime?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top