Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2024 8:13:05 PM EDT
So I'll be moving shortly to another state with suppressors and an SBR. I am not sure how to answer a few boxes on the 5320.20. I do not have an address yet where I'll be moving as I will be house hunting when I get there and living in hotels/airbnb's. Due to that I have no address to list for the physical location and mailing address boxes at my destination. My question is, can I just put in the town I will be moving to?

The last time I did this form they sent it back to me by email so I don't think the mailing address will be too problematic.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a hard fixed "to" address.

Based on your situation, I'd consider two options.

Option 1. File as a permanent move, and use the address of one of the rentals you'll be staying at while you house-hunt.  You don't need to be the owner of the location on the form, ATF just wants to know where the items are stored, which in this case would be the rental.  Even if you move around to different rentals, you should only need to do this step once so long as you don't cross back over state lines.  Then, when you do finally get your home, file another form for a permanent move from the rental address used on the first form to your new home address.  This technically isn't legally needed as it wasn't a move across state lines, but good to get the registry updated to your true address at that point.

Option 2. If you think this whole process for getting your new house will take under one year, then file a temporary move form with a date range of one year from your current address to any address in the new state you'd like, such as a shooting range, and put the reason on the form as "visiting a shooting range".  Even if you never actually go there, this filing would give you free reign to travel into the new state and anywhere in it with your NFA items for the one year date window.  Then, once you have your new house, just like in option 1 file another form as a permanent move from your old address in your old state to the new home in the new state to update the registry.

Option one is probably the more "correct" way to do it, but I could see apprehension with using a rental address and having that tied to your and your firearms, so if that's the case consider option 2.

Or, option 3, find a secure place to store your items in your current state while you house hunt and wait to file any forms until you move into the new home.  Downside here is you don't have the items with you durring the house search, if that matters.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:
Option 4: change the SBRs to a non-SBR configuration (assuming this can be done easily, such as installing a 16” barreled upper on an AR15). No 5320.20 required for silencers. Transport to new state. When living arrangements are sorted out, file a 5320.20 for a permanent move and reconfigure the SBRs.
View Quote

If it was already moved in this manner where it’s not an SBR, do you know what you’d enter into box 7 (transporting from address) on the 5320.20?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top