Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2024 3:22:05 PM EDT
Looking for a small/light silencer for use on an mpx and maybe 9mm pistols.  Ability to use it on 300blackout and 357mag is a plus.  

Can get the MG7 dirt cheap so it's top of the list.  I've never seen one or known somebody who had one though, any input on them?  Will tall silencer sights for a pistol see over it?  Will it fit inside a factory mpx handguard?  
I like that the obsidian has two lengths, can be taken apart to clean, and it is smaller diameter for pistol use.  But none of those features is required and it's also the most expensive.  A friend has one and I do like it though.  
I like the R9 for simplicity, but not available locally and silencershop is out of stock.  Never seen one but have read good things here about them.  

I have a SiCo Hybrid, will the hybrid piston housing fit on the R9 and/or MG7?  The threads are good, I wonder if there is enough distance to the first baffle for the piston housing?  

My priorities are cheap and durable, Not looking to pay a lot more money for an extra db or two.  95% of the use would be on an mpx, use on pistol and 300blk/357mag is more of a bonus.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:39:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#1]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
Looking for a small/light silencer for use on an mpx and maybe 9mm pistols.  Ability to use it on 300blackout and 357mag is a plus.  

Can get the MG7 dirt cheap so it's top of the list.  I've never seen one or known somebody who had one though, any input on them?  Will tall silencer sights for a pistol see over it?  Will it fit inside a factory mpx handguard?  
I like that the obsidian has two lengths, can be taken apart to clean, and it is smaller diameter for pistol use.  But none of those features is required and it's also the most expensive.  A friend has one and I do like it though.  
I like the R9 for simplicity, but not available locally and silencershop is out of stock.  Never seen one but have read good things here about them.  

I have a SiCo Hybrid, will the hybrid piston housing fit on the R9 and/or MG7?  The threads are good, I wonder if there is enough distance to the first baffle for the piston housing?  

My priorities are cheap and durable, Not looking to pay a lot more money for an extra db or two.  95% of the use would be on an mpx, use on pistol and 300blk/357mag is more of a bonus.  
View Quote

If cheap and durable are your two main priorities, buy the R9. That suppressor can’t be touched for the price. And all stainless construction is going to hold up to whatever you throw at it.
It’s a bit heavy to be ideal for pistols, BUT it will work (with a booster of course).
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of people use an Omega-9k for those uses.  Can handle supersonic blackout to take the edge off and length and over-bore isn’t the best for subsonics suppression.  Diameter and length isn’t bad on 9mm pistols and sounds decent on 9mm sub guns and PCCs. You’ll get better sound from the fatter cans but use on a pistol gets awkward. Blackout subs or supers does best with longer and caliber specific. With 9mm bore the length modular cans in long length can be decent on blackout.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
Lots of people use an Omega-9k for those uses.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
Lots of people use an Omega-9k for those uses.  

I like SilencerCo and I like the omega 9k but man is it expensive for what it is!  It's also out of stock locally and at silencershop.  
The obsidian is similar price, but adds the ability to be shortened and taken apart to clean it.  

Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:
.....buy the R9. That suppressor can’t be touched for the price. And all stainless construction is going to hold up to whatever you throw at it.

R9 is out of stock locally and on silencershop, but I have only heard good things about it.  
Only hit against it is that the MG7 is quite a bit cheaper with a discount I found and it is the same sort of design as the R9(and omega 9k).  I've never seen any Rex silencer but read good things online about them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:06:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HUCK70] [#4]
I like my MG7, but I am not a fan of it on a pistol. It is pretty fat and it will obscure the sights on a pistol. My MG7 lives on a PCC with a 3 lug set up and I love it. Hard to beat for the price. The Obsidian is my go to pistol can, IMO it doesn’t do much in the short configuration.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an MG7. It was cheap, and Rex has a fantastic warranty. One of my good friends used his MG7 for a bit on his issued SCAR 17, F/A. After almost 3 years, he had a baffle strike. Sent it back to Rex, and because the serial is engraved just after the threads, they chopped everything forward of the blast chamber off just before the blast baffle, re-welded it, and sent it back to him as an essentially new suppressor, with the same serial on the same tax stamp under a repair.

I love mine. It creates a LOT of back pressure with hot loads, but that's not anything a buffer setup can't address. It's also fat. Really fat. Think the same diameter as a URX 4 or ALG EMR, for reference. I don't know that I'd want one on a pistol, but for the application of a rifle, it's hard to beat. I got mine from Hansohn Brothers (member here) for under $550 out the door including the stamp.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Only hit against it is that the MG7 is quite a bit cheaper with a discount I found.
View Quote

I'm interested in the discount and who from for the MG7. In case you want to share to the group, if you can/want to!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like my Obsidian9, but its not what I would call a lightweight suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HUCK70] [#8]
I bought my Rex directly from them, they offered a great military price.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HUCK70:
I bought my Rex directly from them, the offered a great military price.
View Quote

https://silentrex.company.site/BOGO-APRIL-thru-MAY-FORM4-application-FREE-MG22-EXTREME-DUTY-22LR-SUPPRESSOR-p634402629

I think seals the deal since the mg7 is from a dealer and not direct from rex.  This seems to good to pass up.  Salad days!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]
MG7 has a better warranty and no barrel length restrictions. The YHM has barrel length restrictions and a lifetime warranty with stipulations
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Big fan of the R9. Perfect size for a PCC can, but I don’t plan on having it pull double duty on a handgun anyway.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By thomasthetrain:
Big fan of the R9. Perfect size for a PCC can, but I don’t plan on having it pull double duty on a handgun anyway.
View Quote

Yeah my R9 will be dedicated to my PCC. Thinking about buying a booster for it to run on my pistols…but then I think about the practicality of suppressing pistols and say to myself “yeah probably not”.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I like my Rex MG-series cans well enough that I’ve bought 5, and I’ve shot a great amount of 9mm through one of them and a decent amount of 556 and Grendel through another two. They’ve gotten very popular in my area.

Being a 1.7” OD all-steel rifle can, they’re not going to feel right on a pistol. I think using the same can on both rifles and pistols, just because the bore works, is a strategy that will result in n+1 stamps.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Based on your priorities I think you’ll like the R9.  It’s a little big and heavy for handgun use but makes my heavy all steel CZ’s a pleasure to shoot.  

I have 2 R9’s and they’re pretty much dedicated to my Henry X 357/38 and Sig MPX Copperhead.  I can’t recall if I’ve ever tried it on 300 BO though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:55:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morgan321] [#15]
Last question - what about an ECCO phoenix TL?  

I had ecco recore a form1 silencer I built years ago and he does awesome work.  The canine is only a couple dollars more than the MG7.  
It's also thinner so it'll fit under an mpx handguard for sure and the smaller diameter is no problem for pistol sights to see over it.

Only downside is that it is 1.125 theads and everything I have now is 1.375.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Last question - what about an ECCO phoenix TL?  

I had ecco recore a form1 silencer I built years ago and he does awesome work.  The canine is only a couple dollars more than the MG7.  
It's also thinner so it'll fit under an mpx handguard for sure and the smaller diameter is no problem for pistol sights to see over it.

Only downside is that it is 1.125 theads and everything I have now is 1.375.
View Quote

I think you can get a Griffin pattern adapter for those, or maybe a trilug adapter.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#17]
As others have mentioned, the MG7 is not very lightweight, and very thiccc (1.7”). I do like mine a lot though, especially after Ecco Machine gave it a facelift.

The King of Silence, Improved: Rex MG7K Mod Ecco
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:48:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VaFish] [#18]
Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:

If cheap and durable are your two main priorities, buy the R9. That suppressor can’t be touched for the price. And all stainless construction is going to hold up to whatever you throw at it.
It’s a bit heavy to be ideal for pistols, BUT it will work (with a booster of course).
View Quote

The MG7 is cheaper and just as durable it not more durable.  It's also 30% off at Hanson Brothers with code REX30. making it $385

I can't really compare sound wise because my MG7 is a .458 and I don't think that's a fair comparison on 9MM.

OP,

MG7 will block even suppressor height sights, R9 will block most suppressor height sights.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:

I'm interested in the discount and who from for the MG7. In case you want to share to the group, if you can/want to!!
View Quote

I scored an MG7 30cal can off of gunbroker back in February for $320. It just arrived at my local dealer last week. Going to check it out later this week and start the paperwork on it.
It's going on my 300blk
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I’ve got the R9.
It comes with the screw on mount so that’s a plus.
It’s a little heavy, so I’m not sure how the weight compares to the others on your list.
It is a super rugged design.

When I bought it a couple of years ago, it was quite a bit cheaper than other suppressors in that category.

With subs on the MPX Copperhead it’s pretty quiet.

I can’t imagine getting a stamp back in 2 weeks or less like some guys are getting now.

Mine was just a few days short of a year.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By VaFish:
The MG7 is cheaper and just as durable it not more durable.  It's also 30% off at Hanson Brothers with code REX30. making it $385
View Quote

This is the discount I found, I was unsure if it was still active or not.  Appears it is?  

I'm waffling between the MG7 and Phoenix TL.  MG7 is cheaper (with hansohn discount) and I have all mounts I need for it.  Ecco is lighter and better on pistols, but I would have to buy a mount(s) for it.  
Big factor is whether the MG7 would fit inside my mpx handguard - Apparently it's very close and I can't find a definitive answer online.  Seems Hansohn is out of mg7 currently though...  

Anybody have an Ecco TL?  

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#22]

This is the discount I found, I was unsure if it was still active or not.  Appears it is?  

I'm waffling between the MG7 and Phoenix TL.  MG7 is cheaper (with hansohn discount) and I have all mounts I need for it.  Ecco is lighter and better on pistols, but I would have to buy a mount(s) for it.  
Big factor is whether the MG7 would fit inside my mpx handguard - Apparently it's very close and I can't find a definitive answer online.  Seems Hansohn is out of mg7 currently though...  

Anybody have an Ecco TL?  

View Quote
What’s the clearance inside the handguard? The MG7 will barely fit places that a Nomad barely will not.

Ecco has been a major contributor of knowledge and has helped people out with all kinds of shit over the years, including myself. I think that’s worth something.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
What’s the clearance inside the handguard? The MG7 will barely fit places that a Nomad barely will not.

Ecco has been a major contributor of knowledge and has helped people out with all kinds of shit over the years, including myself. I think that’s worth something.
View Quote

I've found multiple references online and the mg7 will either just barely fit or just barely not fit.  It's that close.  I have a hybrid that fits and sico says it is 1.57 diameter....  

I agree on Ecco, my big downside is that I don't have any mounts or boosters for the smaller alpha threads it uses so it's more $$$.  

Rex currently has a BOGO for a free rimfire can when you buy a rex silencer from a dealer and submit your form4 before the end of May.
Hansohn is out of stock though, without their discount Ecco is the easy winner for me.  I'm debating on if I should wait for hansohn to get more stock or just go with ecco.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#24]
No luck snagging an mg7, if they don't show up very soon I think I'm going to go with an ecco TL but unsure of which length to get.  
Not interested in the longest length, it's too long.  It's primarily for my MPX and I have both 4 and 8 inch barrels for it.  

Leaning towards the shortest length as it would be the least cumbersome on the 8 inch barrel.  
I'm not chasing the quietest silencer, but I'm still worried if I get the short version I might wish I had gotten the medium length.  

Any input on the short length vs the medium length?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:01:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#25]

Any input on the short length vs the medium length?
View Quote
When we’re talking about an 8” barrel, silencer length will usually have a greater effect on sound than on handling characteristics.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
When we’re talking about an 8” barrel, silencer length will usually have a greater effect on sound than on handling characteristics.
View Quote

Interestingly, given the location of the gas port on an mpx I wonder if a shorter barrel can sometimes be quieter than a longer barrel.  I’ve tried lots of cans on mpx and the port noise seems to be where most of the noise difference comes from.  

But on topic, I got the short barrel because it was a bargain and the only other can I have that is big enough for 9mm is a hybrid, and it’s awkwardly large/heavy.  I’ve considered getting the shorter TL (or even the canine) for the 8 inch barrel and just getting rid of the 4 inch barrel.  

The shortest TL is an inch longer than an omega 9k and the 9k performs well….  So I’m leaning towards the shortest TL but am also indecisive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I run an Obsidian 9 on my MP5 and my M11 and it’s a tank of a can so far. Multiple mag dumps on full auto never slow it down. With that said it’s notorious for endcap strikes while on a pistol, dinged mine day 1, my brother has about 5 in his and another buddy had a full end cap blow out. Something about the direct thread on them. With the trilug it’s been bullet proof.

I just ordered an Omega 9K to run on my MP5 so I have no input on it or the MG7. I have used an R9 a ton in my local shooting group and it’s a TANK. Feels bullet proof and I’m pretty sure you can shoot 308 out of it, or they had been in stock lately I would have gotten one and if I see one local I’ll probably snag it to live on my machine gun permanently.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By rome07jk:
I run an Obsidian 9 …… it’s notorious for endcap strikes while on a pistol,
View Quote

A friend has an obsidian, it performs well but it’s more $$ I don’t want or need to disassemble it.  
It also had an end cap strike on a 32acp gun of mine with known good barrel threads so I’m staying away from it.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Interestingly, given the location of the gas port on an mpx I wonder if a shorter barrel can sometimes be quieter than a longer barrel.  I’ve tried lots of cans on mpx and the port noise seems to be where most of the noise difference comes from.  
View Quote

I’ve wondered the same thing, but don’t have a 4” bbl around for one. What I was getting at isn’t that the barrel is too short*, rather that the medium sized can doesn’t really come with much maneuverability penalty. I mostly use a pair of .458 cans of about that length on my PCCs.

*I do prefer a longer barrel, but that’s not relevant for your question.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#30]
The MG7 came back in stock at hansohn yesterday so it's time to shit or get off the pot - I'm down to the mg7 or ecco TL.  

Recall I'm getting this to primarily live on my MPX.  I have a hybrid on it now, but the hybrid is awkwardly large/heavy.  

The mg7 is cheap but barely shorter/lighter than my hybrid.  You get a "BOGO" free 22 silencer with it.  I don't "need" another rimfire silencer.  
The ecco TL is the smaller/lighter that I'm after, but I don't have a mount or piston housing for it so it ends up being much more expensive.  Also no free rimfire silencer with it.

Any last second recommendations?  
I'm too much of a cheapskate to get both.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#31]
The MG7 came back in stock at hansohn yesterday so it's time to shit or get off the pot - I'm down to the mg7 or ecco TL.  

Recall I'm getting this to primarily live on my MPX.  I have a hybrid on it now, but the hybrid is awkwardly large/heavy.  

The mg7 is cheap but barely shorter/lighter than my hybrid.  You get a "BOGO" free 22 silencer with it.  I don't "need" another rimfire silencer.  
The ecco TL is the smaller/lighter that I'm after, but I don't have a mount or piston housing for it so it ends up being much more expensive.  Also no free rimfire silencer with it.

Any last second recommendations?  
I'm too much of a cheapskate to get both.
View Quote

I like my ECCO products and thankful for what he contributes to the community so that’s my first vote

Economically, get the MG7, try to sell the free .22 to your dealer for $150ish
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Another vote for the Ecco TLX.  

I completely forgot to try it on my MPX when I was comparing all my new cans.

It looks pretty good on my MPX K with a MI 6.5” HG.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I want ECCO to stab at a 1.6” SMG can
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
View Quote

YES!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I got the notice from Hanson's the MG7 was back in stock.  By the time I was able to look at things back out of stock.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 6731HBAR:
I got the notice from Hanson's the MG7 was back in stock.  By the time I was able to look at things back out of stock.
View Quote

I wanted an MG7 in .308, just happened to be sitting at my computer a couple weeks ago when the email came in.   They were gone in 10 minutes.  One of them was mine.  :)

My son wanted a REX SEG9, He was sitting in front of his computer a couple nights ago, when they came in-stock, He ordered immediately and they were gone withing a few minutes.

The MG22 BOGO is really selling REX cans out fast.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 6731HBAR:
View Quote

I saw the email after dinner, checked first thing in the morning and there were two in stock.  They were gone when I went back about 2 hours later.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#38]

I saw the email after dinner, checked first thing in the morning and there were two in stock.  They were gone when I went back about 2 hours later.
View Quote

Between the big demand for suppressor in general, Hansohn Brothers Discount, and the Rex BOGO the MG7's sell out in minutes on Hanson Brothers web site.  Sign up for the e-mail notifications, and buy as soon as the notice come to you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
View Quote

Titanium and I’m in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top