Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2023 12:03:41 PM EDT
Howdy,

I got my eye on a new Weatherby Vanguard Badlands in 7mm Rem. I helped a neighbor sight-in his Ruger 7mm and it made me miss the one I had years ago. Recoil with 175's was quite mild from a 7 lb. rifle with no more accommodation than a Limbsaver pad. Weatherbys are made up the road from me.

How is the trigger, finish quality, and accuracy? I plan on handloading 175-180 gr. bullets.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an older 300 WM and a 257 WM. Both solid guns. Used to come with a fired target. Don’t know if still true. Resale value is sometimes higher if you have a Weatherby caliber.
That’s my preference anyway.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the Weatherby Vanguard is made by Howa, in Japan. Great rifles, but they are rebranded and made by Howa.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .30-06 with the detachable magazine as my deer rifle it's a solid platform for sure.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CharlesRyan:
I believe the Weatherby Vanguard is made by Howa, in Japan. Great rifles, but they are rebranded and made by Howa.
View Quote

I recall hearing that, which is fine by me. Howa's are superb shooters.

I like 7mm Mag. Do I need it with a 6.5 Creedmoor and plenty of .308s? Probably not, but I don't "need" most of the firearms in the safes either. I have plenty of mag-fed semi-autos, so a simple fixed box magazine is something different and no problem for me.

Solid info, folks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that is a thing of the past and they're made in WY like OP said.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:

I'm pretty sure that is a thing of the past and they're made in WY like OP said.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Even better.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#7]
What 170+ gr. handloads do folks like for 7mm?
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a .308 Badlands. I like it. It being a .308 I wish the barrel was a little shorter. The trigger isnt bad but isn't a Timney. Better than most though
All in all I really like it. I have 4 Weatherby Vanguards
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 1Coyote-conquest:
I have a .308 Badlands. I like it. It being a .308 I wish the barrel was a little shorter. The trigger isnt bad but isn't a Timney. Better than most though
All in all I really like it. I have 4 Weatherby Vanguards
View Quote

Appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I've got a bunch of Weatherby Mark V's, German, Howa Japan, and Sheridan WY.  The Wyoming guns are the best.  
Really no difference in the German and Japan guns, other than having better wood on the Japanese models.

Tony

Link Posted: 11/9/2023 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:

I've got a bunch of Weatherby Mark V's, German, Howa Japan, and Sheridan WY.  The Wyoming guns are the best.  
Really no difference in the German and Japan guns, other than having better wood on the Japanese models.

Tony

View All Quotes

Tony

Awesome bit of info. What cartridges are yours chambered for? Thanks, mate!

Rummaging though my stuff, I'll just need dies and components to load for it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#12]
For anyone that may know, is there anything special about rebarreling a Vanguard? I prefer to buy rifles that I can fully service on my own, to include replacing the barrel if that eventuality ever comes around.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 9:27:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#13]
Originally Posted By lew:

What cartridges are yours chambered for? Thanks, mate!
View Quote

I have Mark V Deluxe Weatherby's in the following calibers..... 22-250, 224 Weatherby, 240 Wby x 3, 6-6.5 Wby RPM, 257 Wby, 6.5-300 Wby, 270 Wby, 300 Wby, 30-378 Wby, 340 Wby, 338-378 Wby, 378 Wby, 416 Wby, and 460 Wby.
They are all left hand other than the 460 and the Varmintmasters.  Only the 6.5-300 and 338-378 are Sheridan guns.  All the others are from Japan or Germany.

I have never rebarreled a true Vanguard, but I did rebarrel a Howa 1500 and it was straight forward just like any other bolt gun.  No issues.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Edited to add: Pic of the Sheridan guns and one of the 240's with nice wood.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Tony

View Quote

Glad to hear about the Wyoming guns.  I have a Mark V Deluxe in 378 Weatherby on order.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
For anyone that may know, is there anything special about rebarreling a Vanguard? I prefer to buy rifles that I can fully service on my own, to include replacing the barrel if that eventuality ever comes around.
View Quote

They are threaded and can be replaced. They don't have a barrel nut though so a gunsmith is in order unless you have the tools to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

They are definitely made by Howa in Japan to Weatherbys specs. Weatherby is in Wy and rebrands the rifles and puts their own stock on but they say made by Howa on them
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Howa barrels are put on TIGHT! I have done a couple of them and needed to put a parting cut just in front of the receiver to get them off.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#18]

They are definitely made by Howa in Japan to Weatherbys specs. Weatherby is in Wy and rebrands the rifles and puts their own stock on but they say made by Howa on them
View All Quotes

Thanks. Howa is good, so that's not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Yep, near 100% clones of the Sako 85, so pretty much nothing compares in its price range.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#20]
You will not be disappointed in the action built buy Howa as the barrel is also.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HAGDADDY] [#21]
The Weatherby Vanguard is made by Howa in Japan.  It is a rebranded Howa 1500.  Some may be assembled in Wyoming.  The Weatherby MkV is made by Weatherby in Wyoming.  The Vanguards/Howas are great rifles.  My son hunts deer with a Howa 1500 in 6mm Creedmoor and my daughter hunts with a Vanguard compact in .243.  They are both accurate as hell.

My primary rifle is a Weatherby MKV in 6.5 Weatherby RPM.  It shoots half inch groups at 200 yards with factory Weatherby ammo.  Yes, 1/4 MOA from a sporter weight rifle with factory ammo.  You can go wrong with any of them.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I have MK V Japan receiver that I had rebarreled several years ago to get away from the pencil barrel that came on the gun. I could only find 1 gunsmith to do the job and he no longer does barrel jobs.

All I can say is accuracy went from 1 1/2 inch to 1/2 inch at 100 yards and putting a thunderbeast suppressor on a 300 way makes it a lot more fun to shoot.

PAC NOR may work with them. They make good barrels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top