Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2024 1:28:54 PM EDT
It's somewhat of a hassle to reset my sizing die for 7.62 brass from regular 308 and even between headstamps, and I recently discovered these shellholder sets.

I'm not exactly sure I understand how they work, but as I understand it you set up with the .010" shellholder that should bump the most and then you dial back with the smaller shell plates to get what you want.

Is that correct?

How do they do this? If set to cam over with the .010" plate does it just cam over less as you move to the smaller ones or does the base the case sits on drop lower so the case goes a bit less into the die and cam over remains consistent?

If you use these, do they bascially work as expected? Can you leave you die set up one way and change shoulder bump with just different shellholders?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:09:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#1]
The +.010 bumps the least, so longer shoulder. Start long, .010, size case, wipe off lube, chamber check. If it doesn't chamber and extract easy, got to the .008 and size a new case, chamber extract. Repeat with smaller numbers on unsized cases until function is achieved, then check several cases at that setting because springback may put it at the edge.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:23:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#2]
You can do everything you need to do by simply adjusting your die with standard shell holders.

I set my sizing die to bump case shoulders .002" for bolt action rifles, .003' to .004" for semi-auto rifles.

If you can't get enough shoulder bump to achieve .0035" of shoulder bump with cam over, remove material from the top of your shell holder.

You can use wet/dry sandpaper and a figure eight motions on a flat surface, changing directions as you go. Use your calipers to gage your progress. .001" to no more than .002" should be plenty to achieve the desired results.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#3]
iirc they simply mill the case head shelf lower and lower in each.  The rim height stays the same so your cam over should not change.

FYI the standard regular Redding shellholder has no height relationship to the match shell holder sets.  It sure as hell is NOT 0 to the match +0.002-0.010 set.  Redding will tell you that if you call them,....which I did in confusion when I first bought them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
The +.010 bumps the least, so longer shoulder. Start long, .010, size case, wipe off lube, chamber check. If it doesn't chamber and extract easy, got to the .008 and size a new case, chamber extract. Repeat with smaller numbers on unsized cases until function is achieved, then check several cases at that setting because springback may put it at the edge.
View Quote

Good advice!

I found that out at the school of hard knocks with M1 garand fired LC and HXP brass.  That volume of powder and they get hot and work hardened causing inconsistent springback. (4th loading without annealing)
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
iirc they simply mill the case head shelf lower and lower in each.  The rim height stays the same so your cam over should not change.

FYI the standard regular Redding shellholder has no height relationship to the match shell holder sets.  It sure as hell is NOT 0 to the match +0.002-0.010 set.  Redding will tell you that if you call them,....which I did in confusion when I first bought them.
View Quote

Thanks. I know I can just adjust the die. It's what I've been doing, but it's finicky and I thought the different shellholders would simplify switching.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
You can do everything you need to do by simply adjusting your die with standard shell holders.

I set my sizing die to bump case shoulders .002" for bolt action rifles, .003' to .004" for semi-auto rifles.

If you can't get enough shoulder bump to achieve .0035" of shoulder bump with cam over, remove material from the top of your shell holder.

You can use wet/dry sandpaper and a figure eight motions on a flat surface, changing directions as you go. Use your calipers to gage your progress. .001" to no more than .002" should be plenty to achieve the desired results.
View Quote

James S. White, 6th Marine Division, Haliburton engineer, DR in 1960, and HM by the '80s, gave Redding the idea for the shellholders as he found floating the ram was less consistent, but the effort of making a set was better for production runs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top