Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2023 3:16:29 PM EDT
I want to remove the Marshield finish on my 336 Cowboy and go with boiled linseed.
I've seen people here recom citristrip to remove the finish.  In terms of the checkering,  should I use something like a toothbrush? After the finish is removed,  do I prep the wood before I apply the linseed?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 4:05:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#1]
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that.  I always thought BLO was what everyone used.  It will certainly save me hassle not having to hand rub multiple coats.  Also, how do you sand the checkering?
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 8:40:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:32:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddlerocker] [#4]
I can attest that kinda BLO sucks.
I even bought Pure Swedish BLO (Heated in a vacuum, no heavy metals added as driers)
It doesnt dry well. "Sweats" in the sun months after drying.

But I didnt do a real refinish. Just a cleanup of old military wood, without sanding.
It does look wonderful now, but, My problem is, you cant keep rubbing in BLO every year because the wood will be black from grease/oils soon.

You can coat the BLO in wipe on poly if you want to seal it up. But it can build a clearcoat type layer, which does not look correct for me.

If your sanding and refinishing anyway, I would research and pick a finish (think sealer). And maybe a stain depending on what it looks like after sanding

Oh, and I am not familiar with Mar-Shield, but if its tough you might not be happy with Citri-Strip or anything available nowadays.
The good strippers were banned a decade ago.
Might be able to find the good stuff at a yard sale or friends paint shop
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 9:48:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm jumping on the BLO hate /dislike train. I burned the last of my BLO. Tung oil is a far superior finish and I have to reapply far less often.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done several stocks in Walmart's finest BLO, after steaming the dents out in the dishwasher.  I was happy w/ em.

They didn't take all that long to dry either, but then we have a/c in the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top