Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2024 12:48:09 PM EDT
I am putting together a reloading bench. The base is built, glued and screwed and braced. I have a piece of maple from a bowling alley for the top but have not yet attached the top. For some cartridges I use a Harrell's press and hand dies. It that mounts to the top with an integral clamp which needs about 4" of overhang. I will also be using a 550 and occasionally a Rockchucker. I have Ultramounts for both. Any reason to have more than  4" of overhang on the front?

Any other ideas how to mount the presses? Maybe something modular?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:10:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#1]
Inline fabrication  makes quick change mounting platforms in three different heights. I use a medium height which I use for a press, trimmer, and vice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think that 4” of overhang would be plenty.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure the rear 2 bolts on a mounting system don't end up where a base support is located. Should be fine with Inline Fab mount with a 4" over hang according to these templates: https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/quick-change-press-mounting-system

I used a Lee bench mount system and a rockchucker fits, just barely. 550 would probably need a larger mounting system.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steelworker:
I would think that 4” of overhang would be plenty.  

View Quote

10-4
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blowout:
Just make sure the rear 2 bolts on a mounting system don't end up where a base support is located.
View Quote

This is a good point, figure out what equipment you're going to mount before deciding about the top, since you can. E.g. Might you ever mount a basic vise to this bench to hold stuff while you work on it?
Top Top