Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2024 1:39:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Utahshooting]
I inherited an old one. It doesn't appear to have a serial # in the place Remington says there should be. Bore is also either shot out or it's a smooth bore. Did they make these without a serial #?

Where the serial number should be there's only a single digit.

It also doesn't have any of the date codes on left side of barrel. It's blank there. Further down towards the muzzle it does say Remington, etc
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:38:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a Remington 514 single shot .22 rifle with no serial number.

I believe the Gun Control Act of 1968 required serial numbers.  Not required prior to that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Not too many.22 LR barrels get shot out. Could it be full of lead?

Either way maybe the bird shot shells would perform better in a smooth bore
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Topper1:
Not too many.22 LR barrels get shot out. Could it be full of lead?

Either way maybe the bird shot shells would perform better in a smooth bore
View Quote

It may be. The barrel says it accepts 22LR but the chamber wouldn't close on one. Used a copper brush and it now accepts them but still binds on some. I think I need to find some Butch's bore shine through it and let it soak for awhile.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Remington made a smoothbore version of the rifle from 61-79. It it doesn't have a serial number, that puts it pre-68.

The bluing of those guns back then is way better than anything you will find today - on average.

-shooter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top