Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2024 9:43:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013]
I recently got a great deal on an excellent condition Remington model 10. I’ve been wanting to do a trench gun build forever and this price was way too good to pass up. I was actually able to locate a solid walnut reproduction handguard already. The problem is, I did not realize how big of an issue the bayonet lug was going to be. My question, and I’m pretty sure I know the answer already but I want to try and do my due diligence, does anyone know of someone who is currently making reproduction bayonet lugs or does anyone have a reproduction bayonet lug they would be willing to let be used for making additionals assuming no one is currently making them? My only other thought with this was taking a reproduction 1897 bayonet lug to a machinist to use for measurements and giving them the pictures I have acquired of the Remington version and seeing if they can make a functional reproduction using those. I know this is probably a lost cause but  I appreciate any and all help anyone can give.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Not super familiar with these, but looking at some pictures, it looks like the easiest route would be to cut the bayonet lug/ barrel cover portion off a reproduction 97 trench guard and fit it to the Remington? Probably not perfectly correct pattern, but I would think trying to reproduce this from scratch would be a bit difficult and expensive
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I made a Model 10 Riot as the 10 Trench replica parts had dried up.  Its nice as a Riot gun and super fast takedown too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thought about just using the 1897 replica, but there’s enough subtle differences on the machining that I just can’t do it. The shotgun was so cheap and it’s about 90% original condition so it shouldn’t require much. So the cost of having a reproduction made isn’t really a concern. It will be pricey but I’m more worried about finding someone who will take such a small job. As far as running it as a riot, I think that’s the plan until I can figure out the bayonet lug. It won’t be a true riot because I believe the barrel on the trench is actually 23”. I’ve gotta confirm the exact barrel length. The model 10 I purchased has a 30” barrel so I’ll get it shortened to exact length and run it like that for the time being. I actually considered, if I go the machining route, doing a run if I can get one that’s close enough to work as a reproduction.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Gunbroker listed a bayonet lug that said it was a reproduction. Contact the seller and see where it came from.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1027681545

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bradleyswine:
Gunbroker listed a bayonet lug that said it was a reproduction. Contact the seller and see where it came from.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1027681545

View Quote

Wish I could. There’s no way to contact a seller through gunbroker unless they have an active listing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunnie357] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
I made a Model 10 Riot as the 10 Trench replica parts had dried up.  Its nice as a Riot gun and super fast takedown too.
View Quote

I’ve got a riot model and agree it’s a nice fast to assemble gun. Had link at one point for repro lugs but can’t seem to locate it.

East Taylor LLC was the company
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#7]
So idk how many people would actually attempt this build bc of the availability of parts, even reproduction parts are non-existent at this point it seems, but I’ll start updating this thread as a build thread as things happen. Received to host gun. For anyone who is upset for molesting a classic, I promise this is not a pristine example. It is a great donor however. At some point someone had the rear tang drilled and tapped for a sight I’m assuming. The barrel is not matching to the receiver, I quickly got over that once I saw the bore. It’s pretty immaculate. It retains most of its original bluing. There’s some light surface rust in spots and some very light pitting on the side of the receiver. But aside from those things and some fine surface scratches it’s in great shape. Wood is almost perfect. No cracks or major dings. The action is surprisingly smooth, no grit or binding. Wasn’t sure what to expect with that. Everything appears to be in working order. So far I have found a reproduction black walnut heat shield and some original Remington sling swivels. The heat shield will need some fitting and finishing. I’ve collected every picture I could find to try and replicate the attachment hardware for the heat shield best I could. The stock will have to be inletted for the rear swivel and the front will have to be radius cut on the backside to contour the magazine tube. I also need to have the barrel cutdown to 23” and figure out the bayonet lug conundrum. So as things start to happen I will update this thread so it’s there for anyone who wants to give it go. Here’s where I’m at currently.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Best of look looks like a good start. Might have been for a scope base as some were used by folks for spot shoots.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
So as it turns out, the top hole is a factory hole that was recycled. Looks like they just used the factory screw and just never put it back in when they took whatever was there off. So there’s only one hole that was added. I think I’m just going to put the factory screw in the top hole and find one that will work with the hole that’s there and put a slot head screw into that. These are them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top