Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2023 1:40:32 AM EDT
Years ago my brother bought a used Remington model 11, and after firing some slugs, it developed a problem that appears to be trigger related.

We tried to tear it down, however the trigger plate screw (screw at near of receiver, holds trigger plate in) appears to be seized up.  If have read this is a common thing on older Model 11's and A5's.

Is there a way to unseize the screw, or drill it out safely?  If I send it out to a gunsmith, my concern is the cost of shipping plus the gunsmith fee could be steep on a shotgun that is worth around $400.  Sending it out could cost $100 in shipping alone.  The local gunsmiths I asked would not do it themselves.

In other words, is removing the seized screw something a person with basic tool working skills could do, or should it be left to a professional?
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 2:03:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Had an old A5 had same screw problem. First, make sure your screw driver exactly fits. You can pick up a small butane torch and try heat. Try penetrating oil. If you have a drill press, get a vice to hold reciever. Use the drill to hold your bit. Useing the vice and drill press, you might break it loose with the chuck but a wrench can be used for more torque. Alligned in drill press the bit is not likely to slip out.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Heat it and let it cool a few cycles. That's where I'd start.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a heat gun.  Would that put enough heat out?
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Moondog:
I have a heat gun.  Would that put enough heat out?
View Quote

Personally I'd use a hand held propane torch if possible. You may need to fab up a makeshift "shield" out of some sheet metal to protect the immediate area surrounding the screw to prevent flame damage.

I'm not sure a heat gun would get hot enough or concentrate heat as precisely as you will want.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Multiple cycles of heat and a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone as penetrating oil. Screwdriver in drill press as described above (or a screw jack, if you can find or make one). Expect to do this more than a few times before it breaks loose.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Personally I'd use a hand held propane torch if possible. You may need to fab up a makeshift "shield" out of some sheet metal to protect the immediate area surrounding the screw to prevent flame damage.

I'm not sure a heat gun would get hot enough or concentrate heat as precisely as you will want.
View Quote

The max temp is 1000 degrees F.  The gun came with clip on nozzles to direct and focus the heat area.

I'm going to attempt the cycle of heat and penetrating oil.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]
@Moondog , well, did it work?

I'm dealing with a similar issue trying to remove two screws from this:

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't had much progress.  I tried penetrating oil and applying heat, but haven't tried a drill press or arbor press on the seized screws.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm assuming you're dealing with the larger aft screw. The threads on the opposite side of the receiver are where I'd be focusing my attention (heat and penetrating oil). I've been pretty lucky in that I haven't had any trouble with those but it sounds pretty common. I see them buggered up a lot.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By parshooter:

https://www.imgur.com/zlkosvF.jpg
View Quote

Since the finish is gone, I would soak this one in Evaporust.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Cumberland:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cumberland:

https://www.imgur.com/zlkosvF.jpg
We did. That's the "after" pic above.  

It's one of several belonging to an elderly friend of a friend. I was tasked with cleaning them up for preservation or disposition. The recently-deceased wife didn't want guns in the house so the man stored them in an unsecured camper trailer.

I'd like to chop the barrel, install a choke, parkerize it, and make a beater turkey gun if we can get it running again.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#12]

It's one of several belonging to an elderly friend of a friend. I was tasked with cleaning them up for preservation or disposition. The recently-deceased wife didn't want guns in the house so the man stored them in an unsecured camper trailer.

View Quote

Sad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top