Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2024 8:30:52 PM EDT
I just got an 11/87 sbs that has a ghost ring rear sight on the receiver. I want to remove the original soldered on rear ramp from the barrel. Figured on trying a map gas torch. Do i need to worry about protecting the rest of the barrel from heat if I am blasting and cerakoting it anyway?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd submerge it in a tub of water just to keep the barrel from scaling. Alternatively there's some pastes that do the same.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
You mean hold it under water all except the the sight base I am heating up?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah.

Although, I should note I've never done anything with a shotgun barrel. Mainly bolts and barrels on bolt action rifles. But if I were working on a shotgun barrel, that's what I'd do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#4]
You probably won't be able to get it hot enough with just "MAPP" gas.  Check into it and you'll easily find that today's "MAPP" gas is totally different than what used to be available.  Those yellow tanks for your torch don't get much hotter than propane.  Unless Remington used some low temp solder, I doubt if you have any luck getting it off without using oxy acetylene.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jntmjt1:
You probably won't be able to get it hot enough with just "MAPP" gas.  Check into it and you'll easily find that today's "MAPP" gas is totally different than what used to be available.  Those yellow tanks for your torch don't get much hotter than propane.  Unless Remington used some low temp solder, I doubt if you have any luck getting it off without using oxy acetylene.

View Quote

This....

Grind, file, sand the sight off the barrel. You will end up with much less discoloration on the barrel's finish.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#6]
In addition to the above advice, no temperature related metal annealing that might render the barrel unsafe for use…
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jntmjt1:

View Quote

You are correct, that the current yellow tanks are no longer really much hotter than propane/blue bottle.

I tried removing the magazine tube from an old 11-48 receiver with a yellow tank and it didn't even think about budging.

I might try oxy acetylene at some point, but worry about warping/ ruining the receiver.   Of course, if I do mess it up, I'm right back where i started; with an unusable receiver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top