Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2024 11:21:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Rossi's are hit and miss. Unfortunately I missed 5x in a row. I'd get the Ruger, no worries with them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the Rossi and Steve's instructions on slicking it up. Great gun for the money, just takes a little work up front.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
Get the Rossi and Steve's instructions on slicking it up. Great gun for the money, just takes a little work up front.
View Quote

Unfortunately Steve's tune up wouldn't of helped with my Rossi's unless replacing the barrels and or mag tubes is part of it. The first one I bought was a shooter after I sent it back to Braztech. They all had broken barrel band screws, except for one..I 🤔

Reloading is a plus if you get the 44 mag. Both of mine had oversized barrels.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Rossi is good to go. I have and have had numerous Rossi rifles. They’ve all been solid performers.

Marlin is also stellar. I have 3 of the new Ruger models. They’re also excellent.

Every company is going to have some bad reports. From my experience, Rossi and Marlin are good to go.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
A local smith that does slicking for cowboy action shooters says that Rossi's leave enough material to properly slick up a lever action to perfection. I plan on giving it a shot with a 357 some day soon.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I think everyone here completely overlooked that the OP wasn't talking about the R92. The R95 is Rossi' new Marlin 336 clone. From what I have seen, people really like them. Even ranger point precision likes them.

Rossi R95 First Look | Ranger Point Precision

Seems they did a product improvement on the old 336 and it seems to be a good gun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:28:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: golfish] [#8]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:
I think everyone here completely overlooked that the OP wasn't talking about the R92. The R95 is Rossi' new Marlin 336 clone. .
View Quote

I believe Its the 1895 series, not the 336.

I really like the R92, I'd pay double for a new one that worked out of the box. Unfortunately I struck out 5x. The only one I have left is a 20" CCH .357 short rifle that has been flawless right out of the box, except the problem with this one is that the mag tube is stuck in the receiver. They must of forced it in at the factory. I've tried everything to remove it. It's not a big deal, it's just another Rossi screw up.

I worry about a cheaply made gun shooting such a large caliber round. I want guns that I can hand down to my son and grandson/s and their sons. The Rossi will never make that grade. I have a new Ruger/Marlin 336. Anybody who know Marlins knows they're the best Marlins ever made, hands down.

OP, you might check out Gunbroker.com. they have all of the new Marlins.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Lever-Action-Rifles/search?Keywords=45-70&PageSize=24&Sort=13&View=1&Ch-manufacturerName=Marlin&Condition=1
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:

Thanks. I did look at gb but their prices are so high it's not even worth pursuing.
View Quote

I hear ya..I'd say take a look at a Henry but the last one I bought was a POS. I know, I'm just unlucky. 😞

Remember, you get what you pay for. There's a reason the Marlins are so high.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a crazy time for lever guns. Winchester are top notch but hard to find. I don't even know if they make one in 45/70 anymore. The good thing about Henry is their customer service. It's the best I have ever delt with. You can't go wrong with a Henry. (Unless your me)

I've purchased a dozen lever guns in the past 10 years. 2 of them have been perfect out of the box. A Remington made Marlin 1894 .357 (2018) and the Ruger made Marlin 336. The later Remingtons are great guns, I wouldn't shy away from them.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By golfish:

I hear ya..I'd say take a look at a Henry but the last one I bought was a POS. I know, I'm just unlucky. 😞

Remember, you get what you pay for. There's a reason the Marlins are so high.
View Quote

Lol, I hope you don't waste money on lottery tickets.  I had 2 Henry 357 big boys, a 16" color case and 20" steel, both shot right at 1-1.25moa with red dot and handloads.  My rossi r92 wasn't bad, after Steve's springs and video, it's slick as snot.  With 140gr jhp handloads and red dot, it shoots 1.5moa.  This was all at 100yds and both red dots were 2moa dots.  With magnified optics, sub 1moa is a definite.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:19:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#14]
Rossi's are hit and miss. Unfortunately I missed 5x in a row. I'd get the Ruger, no worries with them.
View Quote
I have had close to ten 92s and only one needed very minor work to feed .357 length cartridges correctly.  I don't exactly cycle these in a mild manner for reasons.

I like my .45-70 to be a bit longer with a straight stock and no checkering.   JM stamped:

OP, you will never regret getting a Ruger Marlin.  Don't hold out, get both.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:19:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: golfish] [#15]
Originally Posted By DH243:

Lol, I hope you don't waste money on lottery tickets.  I had 2 Henry 357 big boys, a 16" color case and 20" steel, both shot right at 1-1.25moa with red dot and handloads.  My rossi r92 wasn't bad, after Steve's springs and video, it's slick as snot.  With 140gr jhp handloads and red dot, it shoots 1.5moa.  This was all at 100yds and both red dots were 2moa dots.  With magnified optics, sub 1moa is a definite.
View Quote

My little Henry H001 out shoots all my 22s. But when you compare it to my Winchester 94/22 the real deal shows through, the Winchester is made so much better, the comparison is a joke. The last Henry I bought was a Long Langer in 308. It shot just a little bit better than the 2 POS oversized barrel Rossi R92 44 mags.

Nobody likes to admit they bought a pos gun. I've stated it for 10+ years. You get what you pay for...and no, the cbc guns are crap too.

I'm not even going to say hit or miss..it's maybe and probably miss. There's only one reason for the Steve's Gunz ungrade. Because the gun doesn't work out of the box and you've got to address all of the problems.

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#16]
My experience with anything Rossi has been nothing but great. Had some of their revolvers and love my 92. I don't know about the 45-70, so I can't comment there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By patw:
My experience with anything Rossi has been nothing but great. Had some of their revolvers and love my 92. I don't know about the 45-70, so I can't comment there.
View Quote

Same here. Nothing but good things to say and I’ve had at least 10 throughout the years. Had to send one because of a mistake I made and they fixed it for free. Currently have a handful.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I keep trying to talk myself into the triple black R92.  I love how slim and light it is.  And at $4-500, I'd get one.  But at $900, I'm going to spend the extra and get a Marlin.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:22:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DH243] [#19]

My little Henry H001 out shoots all my 22s. But when you compare it to my Winchester 94/22 the real deal shows through, the Winchester is made so much better, the comparison is a joke. The last Henry I bought was a Long Langer in 308. It shot just a little bit better than the 2 POS oversized barrel Rossi R92 44 mags.

Nobody likes to admit they bought a pos gun. I've stated it for 10+ years. You get what you pay for...and no, the cbc guns are crap too.

I'm not even going to say hit or miss..it's maybe and probably miss. There's only one reason for the Steve's Gunz ungrade. Because the gun doesn't work out of the box and you've got to address all of the problems.

Good luck
View Quote

That bolded part is not true, you literally tell the tale if your rossi experience in every levergun thread.  I wish rossi had just given you 5 brand new custom built rifles, at this point.  I've handled and shot several rossi's and they are ok smooth and they've all shot good out of the box with atleast a couple commercial loads and most handloads.  Had several Henry's and they also shot very well, except a pretty 30-30 that I bought used.  Not for sure if the previous owner sold it cause it shot bad or if he dicked it up and traded it off.  My 16" 357 rossi that got a Steve's gun ejector and hammer spring along with some slicking up courtesy of his vid is like butter.  I will say rossi wood is hit or miss and I'm not a fan of their crescent butt plates.

Edit, you're not wrong about the long ranger, some of those don't shoot special.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Winchester produces a beautiful 92 short rifle at a great price. They come and go, but you'll find one soon.

I still see them on GB for less than $900 when available. Rossi's are junk compared to a Winchester.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DH243:

That bolded part is not true, you literally tell the tale if your rossi experience in every levergun thread.  I wish rossi had just given you 5 brand new custom built rifles, at this point.  I've handled and shot several rossi's and they are ok smooth and they've all shot good out of the box with atleast a couple commercial loads and most handloads.  Had several Henry's and they also shot very well, except a pretty 30-30 that I bought used.  Not for sure if the previous owner sold it cause it shot bad or if he dicked it up and traded it off.  My 16" 357 rossi that got a Steve's gun ejector and hammer spring along with some slicking up courtesy of his vid is like butter.  I will say rossi wood is hit or miss and I'm not a fan of their crescent butt plates.

Edit, you're not wrong about the long ranger, some of those don't shoot special.
View Quote

You’re right. Every freakin thread has the same narrative from him. My experience has been nothing but good. Who keeps buying a manufacturer’s rifle if each example is unusable? 5 times! There’s an expression about repeating the same mistake…

I’m quite smitten with my Rossi 92s…
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:49:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SiVisPacem] [#22]
I've owned three Rossi 92's in .357 Magnum and all three have been great, though one did have some fitment issues with the stock and buttplate.

My first was a pre-safety 16" stainless. I could smack cantaloupes at 100 yards with it without issue. I sold it to a friend for his son when I was selling some guns to raise capital for a business venture about 20 years ago.

I always wanted a replacement for it, so about 12-15 years later, I bought a 16" blued carbine with the safety. I could tell the quality control wasn't quite the same as it had been, because the buttplate didn't mate up perfectly to the stock. If you ran your hand along the stock, you could feel where the buttplate was due to the slight overhang. It, too, was an accurate gun, though.

About a year or so later, I came across a vendor at a local gun show selling a 16" stainless carbine with the safety replaced with the plug and the action slicked up a bit. I ended up trading him my blued carbine and tossed some cash his way and brought it home with me. It's as accurate as the others and there isn't the same issue with the fitment of the buttplate to the stock.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I have always wanted a Rossi 92, but in 357 with the 24 inch octagonal barrel. Mainly to throw a tang sight on an be a wannabe cowboy sniper. Are the new 24 inch rifles drilled and tapped for tang sights still?

Wish I could remember the name of the company/guy that used to do leather butt cuffs and slings that had the option to hold ammo. Named everything after old Westerns. Found him because of the Rossi rifleman forum and lost the info to time. Was my favorite for the R92 guns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Oh my!

IMWO, the Rossi R92 is the best looking model 92 made, I love it. It seems a tiny bit smaller than the other examples I have owned or shot. The bluing is second to none. The wood is second to all but that can be addressed. Its a beautiful gun.

I kept buying them because I liked them so much. I truly wanted one that worked. For now I'll spend the money and buy a Winchester or Marlin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top