Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2023 12:56:42 PM EDT
Is anyone knowledgeable on these actions and rifles?
Are there different size actions?
Are there pressure limits based on cartridge head size? Like with an tc encore?
Are there good or bad years to look for or avoid?

Thanks for your time guys.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#1]
One in four is great.  One in four is ok.  Two of four are crap and nothing can be done with them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I have friends (really I do) that love the platform.  BUT, it has it's quirks.  There are a variety of tricks they've used over the years.  It seems to fit of the fore-end wood is critical to good accuracy.  I don't understand all the intricacies but they seem to have it figured out.  

Kind of like old British sports cars.  When they run they are heaven on earth.  When they don't they'll make baby Jesus cry.  You just have to accept that and learn to work with them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Super cool Ruger No. 1

They come in various sizes. I've had several and still own two. Both really good shooters and very good looking rifles. I would not load past normal pressure. The falling block design is solid, however, I would be nervous going over book loads.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I wasnt referring to loading over book. The reference or question refers to "bolt thrust" on the locking block based on cartridge head size. an example being a large case head like a .450 bushmaster is limited to 38k psi in the AR vs a 5.56 can run at 62k psi. If I rebarrel a No. 1 to a larger case head size cartridge am I limited on operating pressure?
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SSTPAC:
I wasnt referring to loading over book. The reference or question refers to "bolt thrust" on the locking block based on cartridge head size. an example being a large case head like a .450 bushmaster is limited to 38k psi in the AR vs a 5.56 can run at 62k psi. If I rebarrel a No. 1 to a larger case head size cartridge am I limited on operating pressure?
View Quote

No.  The No.1 is one of the strongest actions out there.  There are 3 levels for loading the No. 1 in 45-70.  Trapdoor level loads, Marlin 1895 level loads and then there are the No.1 level loads.  With good components and careful loading you can get the 45-70 up near 458 Winchester loads in the No. 1.

I've been selling some off but I've had at one point most if not all of the No. 1H versions.  Plus the No.1S in 45-70.

404 Jeffery, 375 H&H, 405 Win, 450-400 NE, 416 Ruger, 416 Rem Mag, 416 Rigby, 458 Win Mag, 458 Lott.

I think the Jeffery was the rarest one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SSTPAC:
Is anyone knowledgeable on these actions and rifles?
Are there different size actions?
Are there pressure limits based on cartridge head size? Like with an tc encore?
Are there good or bad years to look for or avoid?

Thanks for your time guys.
View Quote

All of the Ruger No. 1 and also No. 3 actions are the same size. Some have even taken the No. 3s and put the nicer No. 1 furniture on them to make them a "No. 2" type. I think it would have been neat if Ruger had made a smaller mini-action for some of the pistol cartridges.
A No. 1 will hold any reasonable load. As already posted the No. 1 action is very strong, and "Ruger only 45-70 loads" are approaching 458 WinMag territory. It has been chambered in some of Weatherby's cartridges. It is a strong action.
I am only aware of the older "red pad" (older Rugers had red recoil pads) guns being better due to having nicer figured wood on them. I don't know of any bad No. 1 years. But like all things manufactured, some are better than others. Some of the post-Ruger family owned guns (after Bill Sr. and Jr. passed away) *might* not be as good, but I don't know that to be fact.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 12:34:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#7]
Agree with the others.  The No. 1 is one of the strongest modern firearm actions there is.  As others have said you can get 45-70 loads that are No. 1 only that I don't think are even safe in a bolt action rifle, but are safe in the No. 1.  The No. 1 will handle everything all the way up to the uber powerful shoulder fired howitzer rounds like 460 Weatherby and 700 Nitro Express.

A while back I read something, and can't remember for sure what the claim was - but it was either the Ruger engineers were trying like hell and couldn't get one to kaboom, or they did kaboom one but it took an absolutely insane overpressure charge.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Lipseys has a 275 Rigby (7x57) in their custom list.
Problem is msrp is 3 guns in that #1 ruger.

Having never owned a Ruger #1, and hearing the ol 2 out of 5 are junk, I am hesitant to purchase one for that sort of cash.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#9]
When working the action on my .385 H&H, there is a distinct ping upon closing the action.  Anyone else get that?
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, I meant .375, not .385.  If there is a .385 out there, let me know…
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mobjack:

All of the Ruger No. 1 and also No. 3 actions are the same size. Some have even taken the No. 3s and put the nicer No. 1 furniture on them to make them a "No. 2" type. I think it would have been neat if Ruger had made a smaller mini-action...
View Quote

You don't say...

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GunCat:

You don't say...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31644/ruger3a-3031304.jpg
View Quote

That does have a Winchester 85 vibe to it. I like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top