Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2023 5:01:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SwissArmsFan]
Is there anyone out there making SIG 540 and / or SIG 550 upper receivers (the serialized part)? I've seen a handful of 550-series ex-police parts kits floating around, and I am trying to get a 540 series parts kit
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
No. Why would anyone at this point, when Swiss 55x are being imported.

The 540 receiver is also different than the 550, in several ways. There is no outward bump for the rubber dust covers. The bolt catch assembly is part of the upper.

Where are you planning on finding a 540 parts kit? There was an importer of the Chilean FAMAE 540 series, but they didn’t really bring in any significant quantities of semis. They were selling post-86 DS MGs, so maybe you could find someone who’s willing to cut their gun into a kit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Just buy.it from JDI
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes - the idea would be to get a parts kit from a post-sample gun if it is even feasible to get a receiver made. I realize getting a receiver made would be a custom job
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Where are you planning on finding a 540 parts kit? There was an importer of the Chilean FAMAE 540 series, but they didn’t really bring in any significant quantities of semis. They were selling post-86 DS MGs, so maybe you could find someone who’s willing to cut their gun into a kit.
View Quote

Yes - the idea would be to get a parts kit from a post-sample gun if I could get a receiver made for one. I realize the receiver would be a custom job / one-time manufacture
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have any control over it, get it cut in a way so the receiver is reweldable and all stubs are present. That will save you the hunt for a receiver.

Otherwise the parts kits for 55X have little use beyond post sample conversions of existing guns or sig 556 conversions, which are not economically feasible with actual imports around now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 10:22:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Apec:
If you have any control over it, get it cut in a way so the receiver is reweldable and all stubs are present. That will save you the hunt for a receiver.

Otherwise the parts kits for 55X have little use beyond post sample conversions of existing guns or sig 556 conversions, which are not economically feasible with actual imports around now.
View Quote

To remanufacture by welding, you’d really need overlapping sections of demilled receiver. Or you would need a saw cut receiver that had been done in a sketchy way to make it easily weldable. I have a bunch of cut receiver segments, sadly none that overlap. But as you mention, with current imports available, it’s a foolish project unless you can weld yourself and just want to do it because you can. And if you did it with a 55x, you’d lose the brazing at the weld joints.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
only manurhin and famae other than sig ag made them. Not even sig usa could get it right if that tells you anything, and i've heard the famae rifles aren't really that good quality wise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top