Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2024 9:13:13 PM EDT
Sord MFF Rig

Does anyone use one of these?  Is it practical?  How do you use it?

I am debating one for open carry of a pistol while driving.

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:03:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BloodRaven] [#1]
Would it be just for driving? I'd think that a mounted level 2 holster might be a better option. That way you're not having to wear something extra just for driving.

ETA: And I say level 2 because they usually have a locking system to keep the gun in the holster until the lock is disengaged. So in the case of a accident, the gun is more likely to stay in the holster and not be flying around the vehicle hitting you in the head or causing worse damage.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, it is "A" way of doing it.  I think the original intent was to have essential mission equipment mounted center mass, for Military Free Fall operations.  One of those might be a gat.  So in that sense, yes, that's exactly what it was made for.  But.  If you're not going to be driving all day, then I could see it as being a PITA.  Depending on their SOP, when you jumped it in, you might stash it with your parachute equipment, and then throw on your belt kit, or, you might keep it on as a handy spot for a secondary, or primary mags, or radio.  In your case, If I needed to go in heavy, with lots of re-loads, and possibly a radio, or even a BOK/TQ, then yeah, it might be a good piece of kit.  A light wind jacket thrown over it might even be a good idea.  But if it's just to and from work, or dropping the kids off, then I'd probably go with a regular belt holster, positioned so I could get at it while sitting.  Heavy kit rides better on the waistline, vs higher up on the chest.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My new daily driver has bolstered seats so, a good belt holster won't work.  Neither would appendix carry.

A shoulder holster might work but, that is a lot of kit to carry around every day and is a pain to take off when I need to take the coat off if I'm not in an "open" carry area.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm.  In that case, I'd consider a separate vehicle weapon, which is hard-mounted/secured to the vehicle.  In addition to your daily carry piece.  That way it is instantly accessible, but you still have your EDC.  It could also serve as a spare or replacement in case your EDC is lost or unavailable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Diz:
Hmmm.  In that case, I'd consider a separate vehicle weapon, which is hard-mounted/secured to the vehicle.  In addition to your daily carry piece.  That way it is instantly accessible, but you still have your EDC.  It could also serve as a spare or replacement in case your EDC is lost or unavailable.
View Quote

Good thought.  I guess I need to see if there is a reasonable place to mount a secondary holster around the driver area but, things seem a bit tight and cluttered so I'm not sure if that will work or not at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
I like the Esstac Mini Boar.

https://esstac.com/mini-boar-5-56/
View Quote
That looks like a good option!  I will check it out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sidpost:
My new daily driver has bolstered seats so, a good belt holster won't work.  Neither would appendix carry.

A shoulder holster might work but, that is a lot of kit to carry around every day and is a pain to take off when I need to take the coat off if I'm not in an "open" carry area.
View Quote

Depending on your gat, a holster attached to your seabelt in cross draw might be the ticket.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
This is what you seek.  It actually works really well and is far more low-profile than rolling around with a gat strapped to your chest.

Seriously, they are a great piece of kit.  

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top