Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2024 2:25:39 PM EDT
I have three 6390 holsters that serve me well.  

Does anyone find the L3 6360 as a far superior retention option for a war belt?   I'm looking to buy one more and was wondering if the L3 was worth it (6360) or if the L1 (6390) was perfectly adequate.  I have not seen an issue while training with the latter but curious as to Tech's thoughts.  And looking through the warbelt pic thread most seem to go with the 90

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Level 1 ALS holsters haven't failed me, but I'm just a dude that plinks on the range and plays airsoft.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I used the 6360 as a duty holster for years and would push the roll top out of the way many times to just use the thumb thing. I would just use the 6390 now days.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
I used the 6360 as a duty holster for years and would push the roll top out of the way many times to just use the thumb thing. I would just use the 6390 now days.
View Quote

Same for me.

The rolling retention strap is redundant for normal use.

I would add that the Nub Mod by OTDefense is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer having the hood additionally (ALS+SLS) but that's more for LE work around crowds etc. so you may not want Level 3 retention. I'd say this is very much a personal preference thing, and I wouldn't fault anyone for just going with the ALS (as our detectives often do).

I'd like to tell you about a couple other things too...

The fabric covering on that holster will fray and start to "roll off" near the top where the pistol is inserted so I'd recommend against it, in favor of molded-in or painted colors.

Safariland may have improved how these are made since I bought mine, but the "toilet lid" cover for the optic tends to get loose to the point of not staying closed and/or it may fall off completely from where it pivots.

I bought a 7362RDS holster to replace it (which has an entirely new design for the optics cover) and I've found it to perform much better. Seems like it'll have much greater service life.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
Level 1 ALS holsters haven't failed me, but I'm just a dude that plinks on the range and plays airsoft.
View Quote

ALS holsters are level II, not I. Level I is just friction to hold the firearm in. Every level in retention is another barrier that has to be defeated. So with Safariland you can get up to IV, which is friction + ALS (thumb) + SLS (hood) + Sentry (hood lock).

For duty use where you're going to be around more people, SLS is a better option, and many of the SLS options come with the shield that's supposed to prevent manipulation of the hood by those except the carrier. If you just want better retention than friction, the ALS is more than sufficient.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:

ALS holsters are level II, not I. Level I is just friction to hold the firearm in. Every level in retention is another barrier that has to be defeated. So with Safariland you can get up to IV, which is friction + ALS (thumb) + SLS (hood) + Sentry (hood lock).
View Quote

Safariland advertises them as level 1.

Majority of ALS holsters I own, the handguns with WML are loose in holster and the ALS is what keeps it locked in place.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Good feedback so far.  I also notice the hood loosens as time goes on; it seems like a weak link in the system.  Removable, so maybe an optional link vs. weak link.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Realistically, unless you’re potentially dealing people actively trying to take your handgun, lvl 1 holsters are fine.

If you are only using this at the range and in competition, the 6390 will be fine.

If you will be out in public acting as a police officer or armed security guard, you should consider at least a level 2 holster, and might want to seriously consider the 6360.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
Realistically, unless you’re potentially dealing people actively trying to take your handgun, lvl 1 holsters are fine.

If you are only using this at the range and in competition, the 6390 will be fine.

If you will be out in public acting as a police officer or armed security guard, you should consider at least a level 2 holster, and might want to seriously consider the 6360.

View Quote

Agreed.

Our .gov contract stipulated lvl3 retention. The hood is a pain in the ass, I'd just rather not have it at all if given the choice. Idk why anyone would ELECT to have it if you're not planning on getting in a tussle for your sidearm
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

The 6390 is listed as an L1, but in practice, it seems like an L2 holster.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:
View Quote

It is. There's tension screws to give more friction fit to them.

I've only ever used a SLS when I was open carrying to prevent some chucklefuck from making a grab. On my battle belt and elsewhere I just use an ALS as the active retention keeps it in the holster when things get bumpy, but I'm not at such a risk of someone making a grab (and if they are, we're already tussling).
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
Our .gov contract stipulated lvl3 retention. The hood is a pain in the ass, I'd just rather not have it at all if given the choice. Idk why anyone would ELECT to have it if you're not planning on getting in a tussle for your sidearm
View Quote
If I'm riding in boats or aircraft, I've got 2 retention mechanisms holding the pistol in, which makes me super comfortable not having a lanyard (since lanyards suck), but I do see plenty of photos of SOCOM guys just running ALS, so again personal preference.

Mainly it is for the crazy people, in crowds, where I didn't show up to go weapons free but somebody might try to snatch my pistol since I'm right next to them.
(This is also a great thing to train for on a BJJ sparring mat.)

If nobody ever tries to grab your pistol then ALS would certainly be fine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:09:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#13]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
If I'm riding in boats or aircraft, I've got 2 retention mechanisms holding the pistol in, which makes me super comfortable not having a lanyard (since lanyards suck), but I do see plenty of photos of SOCOM guys just running ALS, so again personal preference.

Mainly it is for the crazy people, in crowds, where I didn't show up to go weapons free but somebody might try to snatch my pistol since I'm right next to them.
(This is also a great thing to train for on a BJJ sparring mat.)

If nobody ever tries to grab your pistol then ALS would certainly be fine.
View Quote

I guess that's what I'm saying. We were compelled to use them because there was a >0% chance of having to grapple with someone who might want your gun.

Unless you're getting paid to be in places where ding dongs may be tempted to grab for your pistol, or jumping out of airplanes, a lvl 2 will do all you need and more. That thumb release is gonna be just fine for ya
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:46:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MaxxII] [#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Friction isnt really a level of retention IMO.

I have a 6377 which Safariland called a “concealment” holster.
It is essentially a 6390 with a belt slide loop for 1.5 in belts (instead of 2.25 in belts). It only has the SLS thumb drive. No hood.
It works quite well as a range holster.
More than enough retention to keep the gun in when running etc, but comes out easily.
Absolutely sucks at concealment.

You should be fine with the 6390
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Friction isnt really a level of retention IMO.
View Quote

Your opinion is objectively wrong.

If friction didn't count, then everyone who didn't need active retention should get those cheap nylon multi-gun holsters. The ones where the gun bounces around all the time because it's not fit to the gun and there's no friction keeping the firearm from, at the very least, skittering across the concrete.

But that's a retarded idea, as you can plainly see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top