Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2023 12:45:46 PM EDT
Apologize if this has been answered multiple times. I did a search but it didn't result in an answer that I was satisfied with.

After many years of being asked if I could repair/build/manufacture certain guns and parts I've decided to enter the planning phase of getting my 07/02. I'm trying to be very cautious entering this venture and I was curious what your solution (to whom it applies) is for having firearms sent to you as a home-based entity when you're not home? I will be keeping my 9-5 job as it pays too well to abandon. I work from home one day a week and that may be increased to two in the future. While I do live in a quiet neighborhood that doesn't have a porch pirate problem (that I'm aware of); I'd like to have more peace of mind.

For more context, I intend for this to be gunsmithing only. No retail sales and no walk-ins. This should minimize the amount of packages being received and attention drawn to the house, but even one gun being left out while I'm out of the house doesn't sit well with me. Thank for any insight ahead of time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Have the shipping company hold them at their hub and pick them up at your leisure.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mindfull:
Have the shipping company hold them at their hub and pick them up at your leisure.
View Quote

This. Or install metal lockers like one of my 07/SOT friends did. I had a pretty good relationship with my regular UPS/FEDEX guys, I'd leave my truck unlocked, they'd lock them in there til I got home.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Mailing address is a local UPS store.  They can receive and hold a package for you, they just can't ship out guns for you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:
View Quote

I'm honestly a little embarrassed that didn't occur to me right away, lol. Thanks.

Thanks everyone else. I considered a lock box of some kind, but didn't want to have a "target" on the side of my house. But I'm likely just overthinking this. There is a UPS store with mailboxes near me so I'll look into that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
Mailing address is a local UPS store.  They can receive and hold a package for you, they just can't ship out guns for you.
View Quote

This.
I've used a local UPS Store as my FFL mailing address for almost fifteen years.
Be aware that some dealers and distributors will ignore your request to ship there and will still ship to your home.

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
Be aware that some dealers and distributors will ignore your request to ship there and will still ship to your home...
View Quote

...and you will come home from work to find a stack of firearms sitting on your porch in the rain.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

This.
I've used a local UPS Store as my FFL mailing address for almost fifteen years.
Be aware that some dealers and distributors will ignore your request to ship there and will still ship to your home.

View Quote

Awesome. I'll probably go this route.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

...and you will come home from work to find a stack of firearms sitting on your porch in the rain.
View Quote

Or.........a case of ammo last Thursday.
Classic Firearms shipped the gun to my shipping address, but the ammo and Pelican case to my front porch. I have Ring video show the FedEx Ground driver reading my damn sign, backing away ten feet, reading it again, then leaves to get back in the truck. Box of ammo was soaked when I got home three hours later.
Classic was supposed to ship those to packages to the buyers front porch. Idiots abound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top