Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2024 2:35:56 PM EDT
I have been having intermittent feeding issues with my 17. Periodically a round chambers “nose up” and wedges itself into the chamber. Im assuming it’s due to the mass of the BCG, but the bullet is shoved a good bit into the case when this occurs.

I admittedly haven’t done much testing due to inclement weather, but was wondering if anyone had any insight.

My current suspicion is magazine related. I’m using factory FN mags that are relatively new. I have a few new in box I plan to use at the next range trip to eliminate that variable.

Second guess would be ammo. I’m using 147gr brass case, which would surprise/disappoint me because I bought a lot of it.

Any input would be appreciated, love the platform so far, and I think this issue is an anomaly, but I really feel I shouldn’t have to baby it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#2]
what actual 147gr ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Believe it’s primarily magtech m80 ball but will check tonight and edit if needed. I’ve also shot a fair bit of Western Montana Tactical bulk stuff, which I assumed may be the culprit and my penance for being cheap, but it’s happened with various brands. The WMTAC stuff also cycles flawlessly in other .308s.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had the exact same malfunction you are describing when I tried to use modified FAL magazines in the SCAR system. This illustrates the importance of the SCAR magazine feed lip geometry.

I would guess that your issue is with the magazines. Have you gone and shot the rifle with other magazines yet? If it is determined that this is your issue, you may be able to slightly bend down the lips on your problem magazine to get the rounds to stop popping up like you describe.

Are you using a new magazine, or is it a used unit? It is not unlikely that the magazine was dropped on the feed lips and bent them out of spec, should you be using a used mag.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Try some different SCAR magazines. If it is a few individual mags and they were new, FN will replace them free from my experience the past several years. Fortunately for me, I have yet to experience any issues with their factory 20 round steel magazines.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Appreciate the responses.

All mags are factory FN. I purchased the rifle used and the previous owner included 10+ mags with a few that are new in the box. I will try to get out this weekend with the new mags and see what happens.

Could someone describe the way the feed lips would have to bend to cause this malfunction? I’m having issues visualizing it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I know everyone has done it, but strip your magazine and lightly oil the inside, the spring and flower, remove excess oil then reassemble and try the magazine again. Let us know the results.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Update - it appears to be a mag issue. Shot it today with a magazine fresh out of the wrapper and had zero issues.

Now to disassemble and clean all the other ones…..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top