Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2018 7:57:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial]
I need an AOW... I think its the only kind of stamp I don't have. And since I have an M-11 Nine... Briefcase Gun

Is the briefcase itself an AOW... or only an AOW when configured with a gun in it?

They shouldn't be to hard to build... But does anyone sell them outright?
I checked subguns and Gunbroker and found nothing.

If I go with a build, where does the serial number go... the briefcase? The gun?
Does the briefcase get the MGs serial number on it?
I have a few cans I could pair with it; YHM Cobra M2, TiRant 45, Evo 9, Tundra.
Any build tips?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:59:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4thPointOfContact] [#1]
Per Guns.com
Legality

The case is unregulated in its empty condition unless you happen to own an MP5 or a SP89 (semi auto MP5 pistol) while you also have said case. In that situation the gun inside (not the case) becomes an AOW and needs a tax stamp and registration under the NFA to be compliant. This is of course unless the weapon used with the case is already a registered AOW in and of itself. In that case, the briefcase is always just a briefcase.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't the Machine Gun trump the AOW category?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:24:38 AM EDT
[#3]
So if I build a briefcase for my registered M-11/9 I wont need an AOW stamp?

Poop.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:
So if I build a briefcase for my registered M-11/9 I wont need an AOW stamp?

Poop.
View Quote
my understanding.... that is correct.  MG trumps AOW.

Uzitalk is a good place for all things MAC.  there's a very long thread on building your own MAC briefcase.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]
To get the "AOW" stamp (like the different $5 kind) you need to get one on a form4 anyway

If it's to add an AOW to the collection, then yes MG trumps AOW so you could get a briefcase for it without any further requirements and wouldn't make it an AOW

You could do a briefcase build off an HK mp5 pistol, where the host could be registered as an AOW. A registered trigger pack could be added later for FA
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The above posters are correct. If your M11-9 is a registered MG you just build and go. If you use a semi auto in the case, the weapon must be registered as the AOW to use in the case. The case is just a case. It depends on what you put in it that makes a difference. I have one that I built and it is fun to take out every once in a while. Mostly a novelty with no real practical use but aren't MGs the same thing. Something different and fun to shoot. I built mine to be used with a suppressor. You could make one to use without.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
... what if your firearm is already a registered SBR?  Not sure that trumps AOW, and I don't think a SBR can also be registered as an AOW?
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By shblackdragon:
... what if your firearm is already a registered SBR?  Not sure that trumps AOW, and I don't think a SBR can also be registered as an AOW?
View Quote
My understanding is that it does
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shblackdragon:
Then I need to start looking for a fiercely overpriced and insignificantly useful mp5 case!

Maybe a 'case' for a DIY project? (slight pun intended)
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#10]
@chase45

Did you ever hear back from BATFE on your similar question?
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
@chase45

Did you ever hear back from BATFE on your similar question?
View Quote

I know this thread is years old

But no I did not

No reply

@SiVisPacem
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By chase45:

I know this thread is years old

But no I did not

No reply

@SiVisPacem
View Quote

That's bullshit. It's not surprising, but, it's still bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#13]
What was the question? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:
View Quote

Can you stick a SBR in a firing briefcase without the stock; essentially

MP5K SBR + briefcase

At the time it was questionable by some here

Anyways a briefcase never turned out so it didnt matter for me
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]

MP5K SBR + briefcase

View All Quotes

MP5K SBR + briefcase

Ah, neat idea.

Just make your own briefcase, I did one for my MAC, but it's FA, still fun though. Jams after about 5 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I"m doing one with a Glock 17 and a pelican briefcase.  I registered the Glock as an AOW and am slowly collecting parts for the case.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#17]

MP5K SBR + briefcase

View All Quotes

MP5K SBR + briefcase

This isn’t something I’d be comfortable with. The SBR and AOW here are very different and the legal definitions do not overlap whatsoever.

A “machine gun” fires more than one round per trigger pull regardless of all other characteristics, you’ll never leave that definition. “Machine gun” and “suppressor” are the only NFA definitions that follow the function of the firearm, so they can take any physical form. All others follow a specific physical attribute; barrel length, presence of accessories, bore diameter, bore type, etc.

A registered SBR would presumably have the stock removed to fit and function inside a briefcase, so it doesn’t follow “SBR” anymore. And installation of that firearm into a briefcase is also hiding/concealing/disguising it, which further transcends into “AOW”.

Some would suggest it’s ok because “Hey, it’s NFA-registered, that’s good enough,” but those same people would never alternatively just put a buttstock on their registered AOW and say the same thing. Why? One doesn’t “trump” the other, they just follow different definitions.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Removing the stock from a short barrel rifle doesn't alter the fact that it's a short barreled rifle any more than removing the stock from a regular file turns it into a pistol in the eyes of the ATF. It's still a short barreled rifle, and as a short barreled rifle it can have all the foregrips it can handle...
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Removing the stock from a short barrel rifle doesn't alter the fact that it's a short barreled rifle any more than removing the stock from a regular file turns it into a pistol in the eyes of the ATF. It's still a short barreled rifle, and as a short barreled rifle it can have all the foregrips it can handle...
View Quote

Correct, but you’re reconfiguring it away from “designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder” and into more clearly regulated AOW territory as a disguised firearm.

And an SBR can have a vertical foregrip and avoid “AOW” because as a “rifle” it’s already designed to be fired with two hands.

This is quite different.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Homeinvader:

Correct, but you’re reconfiguring it away from “designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder” and into more clearly regulated AOW territory as a disguised firearm.

And an SBR can have a vertical foregrip and avoid “AOW” because as a “rifle” it’s already designed to be fired with two hands.

This is quite different.
View All Quotes

This is quite different.

...just like you're reconfiguring a rifle when removing it's buttstock, now it's not designed to be fired from the shoulder, either, if there's no buttstock. But the ATF has said if it's papered as a rifle, then it's a rifle whether it has a stock or not. Same with an SBR...that's why it's a short barreled RIFLE, and not a short barreled whatever.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#21]

...just like you're reconfiguring a rifle when removing it's buttstock, now it's not designed to be fired from the shoulder, either, if there's no buttstock. But the ATF has said if it's papered as a rifle, then it's a rifle whether it has a stock or not. Same with an SBR...that's why it's a short barreled RIFLE, and not a short barreled whatever.
View All Quotes

This is quite different.

Correct, but you’re missing the additional step that makes this so tenuous. An SBR without the stock vs an SBR without the stock….and installed into a disguising briefcase. You’ve just run into the definition of an AOW, not just reconfigured an SBR.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:05:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#22]
Correct, but you're missing the additional step that makes this so tenuous. An SBR without the stock vs an SBR without the stock.and installed into a disguising briefcase. You've just run into the definition of an AOW, not just reconfigured an SBR.
View Quote
It's still a "weapon made from a rifle" which is why it's ok to do this using a registered SBR.

Firearms that were rifles can never technically become AOWs (because they had a butt stock).

The AOW definition states nothing about disguises.
Evil_Ed is 100% correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top