Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 2:30:04 AM EDT
It'll be for 150 yards and in, so I'm leaning toward a Trijicon TR24G with the green triangle reticle, but was hoping the hive mind had other recommendations.  Ideally, I'll be making this a SBR so that's something to consider.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been considering a couple of scout scopes since they'll typically be mounted further forward on lever guns. The Leopold Pig Plex 1.5-4 and the Burris fixed 2.5, if I recall.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Primary Arms SLx 3X MicroPrism™

I put one of those on my 44 not traditional by any mean but it works great seems to have kept the gun lighter and more balanced  than putting a normql scope on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The Burris Scout Scopes are really great on a lever-action mounted low on a an XS rail. The XS rails and low scope mounts will actually have the scope objective sitting below the top plane of the picatinny as there is a trough milled down the center that accommodates such low mounting resulting in a good cheek-rest.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been waiting to try this mount but haven't yet:
https://ashleyperformance.com/products/leveractionscopemount?variant=28388793859
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd prefer a 1.5-5x 20 leupold. Anything bigger makes a nice light rifle feel clunky.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

This was great for evaluating handload performance at range.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:23:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#7]
The issue I have with scopes on lever guns is size. Most are just too damn big.

My .357 is currently attached to a Burris 4X. If I could find a compact 1-4X  or a prism in 3x with low profile rings,, that would be ideal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Most importantly, what brand of rifle do you have?  
Your options are limited if it ejects out the top.

All of the below.  
Every mount except for the ashley mounts scopes awkwardly high and/or awkwardly far aft.  The ashley mount with the leupold 2.5x is the best scope positioning you can get.  

Your tr24 has a very large diameter tube and eyepiece which will require it to be mounted very high.  
It's also far more scope than is necessary for such short ranges and bulky enough to make handling the rifle awkward.  
For the same price you have nearly unlimited options - I'd look into some of the low red dot mounts.  The midwest and phoenix weaponry mount are both pretty nice.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DuneShoot:
https://ashleyperformance.com/products/leveractionscopemount?variant=28388793859
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DuneShoot:

Originally Posted By 03RN:
I'd prefer a 1.5-5x 20 leupold. Anything bigger makes a nice light rifle feel clunky.

Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
The issue I have with scopes on lever guns is size. Most are just too damn big.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
This was supposed to go in PCC not lever guns. It’s a Ruger 77/357 bolt action. Mods can we move it please?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 77/357 that I had cut to 16.5" and threaded and it is a very accurate and stupidly easy rifle to shoot well.  I have a Leupold 1-4x variable with the pig plex reticle on it and it is a fantastic combo for my purposes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you used a scope with that reticle before OP? I have one and it will work for your intended use but I don't think I'll buy another. I much prefer something that has more reference and some kind of horizontal stadia lines. On that scope I'd do a standard duplex or the German reticle over the spear. At the ranges you are talking about you can make anything work. I also lean towards more magnification now more than ever with my eyes. There's a reason 3-9 and similar is so popular and has been for decades.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve used a German #1 which is the same thing, just with horizontal lines as well. I’m also looking at the 1-6 accupower with crosshairs,  it for now I just put a cheap 3-9 on it until I can SBR the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#13]
German isn't the same because it's thin at the aiming point which I prefer. The big Spear kinda covers everything up.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:49:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#14]
Fair enough.  The other thought is to go with the Credo 1-6 or 1-8 as it is pretty much the same reticle on the old Viper PST, which I had on my previous 77/357 and I really liked that setup.  If Eurooptic had the capped Ranger/PST I'd snag one in a heartbeat, but exposed turrets on a 100 yard rifle is kinda silly.

But an expensive scope can wait until I get rid of the tupperware stock, pillar bed, sbr, and suppress the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:30:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hillbilly62] [#15]
Leupold 3X9 Ultralight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top