Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2024 8:49:37 AM EDT
I am currently using a TBAC Ultra 5 and a Nomad LT with a CB adapter on my bolt action rifles. I’d like to add a third can to the mix to minimize switching between rifles while at the range. Since all of my .30 and under bolt rifles have CB brakes, the third can also needs to be either CB or hub. I’d like something in between my two current cans in size and I definitely want to keep it light weight.

The new Magnus S was my first consideration, but it sounds like TBAC is pretty backed up due to current demand, so it might be a while before I can get my hands on one.

The Scythe-Ti is also a consideration and seems to be more available, but I haven’t managed to track down information on whether the blast chamber is long enough to fit a CB brake with either the TBAC or Energetic CB adapter.  Does anyone happen to have blast chamber dimensions for the Scythe-Ti, or even better, experience with using a Scythe-Ti with a CB adapter and brake?

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Scythe and CB Brake

Brake just setting on top of first baffle in Scythe

Looking at the top

Not sure if that helps or not. Just eyeballing it I think if the hub adapter is a true flush mount it might not fit but curious to hear from someone who actually owns that setup
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, the pics were very helpful.  By Mk1 eyeball, I'd guess somewhere between 1/4" and 3/8" of clearance between the face of the CB brake and the blast baffle based on the Energetic CB adapter I have on my Nomad LT.  Not sure what's ideal for clearance.  This isn't going to be a high round count situation, so I'm guessing it will be fine, but if anyone else has input I'm interested in hearing it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Based on some measurements, I came up with a blast baffle clearance of 0.255" on my Nomad LT with the Energetic CB adapter and a CB brake.  My Ultra 5 has about .50" of clearance with the same CB brake.  The Nomad blast baffle still looks pristine, but the round count is still pretty low.  Most of the rounds through the Nomad were with my 16.5" .308 bolt rifle, some were from a 24" 6.5 PRC.  Not sure if I've even tried the Nomad on the .300 Win Mag yet, I typically use the Ultra 5 on that rifle.

Referencing the pictures above and my measurements, it appears that I'd have just about the same blast baffle clearance on a Scythe as I do on my Nomad if I use the same Energetic adapter.  For reference, I calculated a blast chamber length of 1.56" on my Nomad from the rear of the can with no adapter to the tip of the blast baffle.  Does anyone have this measurement on a Scythe-Ti?

Most important question:  is about 0.25" clearance from the front of the brake to the rear of the blast baffle sufficient for use on a 22" .300 Win Mag in a hunting rifle application?  The Scythe would probably see most of its use on the .300 and some on the 6.5 PRC.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:39:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Minshooter] [#5]
On my EA/TBAC adapter, the TBAC CB Brake (5/8-24) projects about 1.305" forward of the adapter mount flange -into the can.

But

Silencer Central also uses the Thunderbeast mount pattern;  their Banish 30 Muzzle Break is slightly shorter, and projects 1.055" forward of the flange.

In addition, SC has thoughtfully included wrench flats on the rear of their Brake, plus, it is made of Titanium.

These are my quick hand held measurements with a caliper, on my parts.  
Will get to a granite measuring table and height gauge, and report if I find any differences more than .005".

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the additional information. I was able to get my hands on a Scythe-Ti today. I could only measure it with a tape measure, but I’d say the blast chamber is slightly longer than my Nomad LT. I got a pretty decent deal, so I bought it and ordered an EA CB adapter from Hanson.

I hadn’t realized that the Banish brakes were CB pattern, so that’s a nice fallback plan in case I start seeing excess blast baffle erosion with the .300wm and want a little extra clearance. I did talk to a gunsmith I trust too and he didn’t think that .25” of clearance would be a problem. Time will tell. Now to see how long this form 4 will take….
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top