Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2024 1:24:08 PM EDT
Really displeased with this rifle. It never operated properly from the first.
Cartridge cases became jammed for each and every single round making it a bolt action rifle.
Then the barrel / bolt assembly locked back after 10 rounds.
Would not come unjammed in the field.
Contacted the Sero distributor.
"We'll get back to you"
Not.
I finally figured out how to bring the assembly forward but the spent case did not eject.
Contacted the distributor.
"We'll get back to you".
Not
After a few ounces of knock-er-loose and a few days of soaking I finally convinced the bolt to rotate out of the locking lugs.
However the ejector piston is stuck down inside the bolt's bore.
Contacted the distributor.
"We'll get back to you".
Not a word.
I still havent figured out to unstick the ejector and may have to drill it out.
Found out this is a COMMON problem as the ejector wasn't case hardened at the factory and develops a lip.
I cant wait to try and order a new one
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:13:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#1]
Nothing sucks more than getting a 50 that doesn't function right out of the box. I know your pain and disappointment OP.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks. I quit shooting Talon back in the day because it would lock up my 82 which is quite a feat apparently.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
That's incredibly disappointing for the price.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#4]
We bought around 6,000 rds of Talon when they started offering .50
It was either severely underpowered, or loaded so hot you could feel the heat from the fireball out of the brake.
We ended up pulling it all down and sold the primed brass and projectiles. Someone took the powder and used it as fertilizer for their garden.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:52:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#5]
How did this become a Talon thread?  I didn't read that OP was using Talon, if fact, I don't see an indication of any type of ammo used.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:
How did this become a Talon thread?  I didn't read that OP was using Talon, if fact, I don't see an indication of any type of ammo used.  Am I missing something?
View Quote

It's Arfcom. We can yhread slide any thread into what we want.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I was shooting factory Federal ball. I think Lake City manufactures it.
Its good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:48:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bbqncigars] [#8]
Well, crap!  Thanks for the warning, I'll give mine a close look tomorrow.  FWIW, mine has been dead nuts reliable with my handloads (about 1K so far).  Factory support is minimal at best.  Ian's video was far more helpful than the manual.  I wish the damned brake was more effective so you could adjust the operating recoil like the manual implies, but the gun cycles with the brake fully engaged even with subsonic 650gr loads *sigh*.  And don't get me started on the factory butt pad.  Replacing that with a Limbsaver was a PITA.  Also, the way the gun sits in the case means the balance is way biased towards one end and makes it seem a lot heavier to carry than my 37 pound Windrunner which balances very close to its case carry handle.  In perfect hindsight, I would buy something else that was fully ready for prime time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Dont know what your serial number is but mine's in the mid 200's.
Perhaps yours was before or after the ejector problem but either way I fully expect factory (distributor) support.
So far none.
Zip.
Zero.
Ziltch.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lightguy] [#10]
Really at this point I'm fortunatly in a position not to fret much over the money lost. It is what it is. A big hit but one to get over. 18 thousand dollars plus.
Anyone wanna buy a "like new" Sero GM6 ?
I'm just warning others as to the quality and more importantly the factory back up when purchasing a firearm of this cost and therefore the expected quality and distributor support.
Sero.
Make that Zero.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#11]
@lightguy  The serial number on my Lynx is just under 400.  I really don't want to screw with heat treating the ejector unless there is absolutely no alternative other than fabricating one myself.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say you had no joy getting a replacement ejector.
It's sad to see this kind of QC and support on such an expensive gun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine is mid 200's

I'm still waiting on instructions to remove the ejector and or replacement part.
Worse case I'll drill it out and replace it with a hardened steel drill bit shank cut down and machined to fit.
The available diameters of drill bits is staggering.
Hopefully one will work.

How many rounds through your GM6 ?
If I were you I'd take out the ejector NOW and check it for hardness. If its soft and mashes down into the bolt bore you are screwed.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top