Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2024 7:11:52 PM EDT
So my son is turning 6 soon and I'd like to setup one of my 10/22s for him.

I'm going to be unemployed shortly so I'd like to keep it as affordable as possible.

For the stock, I found an old wood 10/22 stock on my parts rack.  I'm considering drilling a couple holes through the butt of the stock to use as alignment holes with steel rods or dowels. Then cutting the stock shorter in a few pieces -- the dowels would be so I can add them back as he gets older.  

Is this a terrible idea? I welcome any better ideas.

I was also hoping to find an affordable threaded barrel so I can put a can on it to keep him focused on shooting instead of noise.   A heavy .920 barrel might prove too heavy for him, so was leaning towards a tapered option. Any recommendations ? Preferably near the $100 price point?

If anyone has any other 10/22 youth setups I'd love to see and learn about them.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:56:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#1]
As long as its safe, that would work.

I would just get him a crickett $140. Makes kids slow down and focus on fundamentals.

It should cost around $60 or so to thread the barrel depending on who you choose.

I don't think a threaded barrel adapter would be a good idea, I would worry about baffle strikes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
That will work for the stock. Just remember that each saw cut removes (loses) some material called the saw kerf. When you add a piece back the fit will not be perfect due to this loss. You will need to reshape it some.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mindfull:
As long as its safe, that would work.

I would just get him a crickett $140. Makes kids slow down and focus on fundamentals.

It should cost around $60 or so to thread the barrel depending on who you choose.

I don't think a threaded barrel adapter would be a good idea, I would worry about baffle strikes.
View Quote

I do like that rifle. But I'm sorta hesitant to add another rifle to the stable. Already have 5 10/22s and a half a dozen other rimfire rifles.  Mostly I want to figure out the LOP issue until he's old enough to graduate to the regular rifles.

Maybe the suppressor ask is Overkill and I just live with what I have (plus a cut stock). He's a bit sound sensitive so I want to make it as approachable as possible (with one shot in the mag only for quite a long time).
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:36:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: linuxgnar] [#4]
Originally Posted By Mountaineer_Shootist:
That will work for the stock. Just remember that each saw cut removes (loses) some material called the saw kerf. When you add a piece back the fit will not be perfect due to this loss. You will need to reshape it some.
View Quote
Good reminder on the kerf. I honestly didn't think of that. I'll need to use the thinnest blade I can find and be prepared for a little sanding afterwards.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By linuxgnar:
Good reminder on the kerf. I honestly didn't think of that. I'll need to use the thinnest blade I can find and be prepared for a little sanding afterwards.
View Quote

I don't know what your specific goals are with your son/the rifle (beyond firearm safety) but I can't imagine a cheap 10/22 stock can be very expensive. I would be tempted to cut a wooden stock to an appropriate youth LOP then worry about a longer LOP in a few years.

Spacers like those on competition shotguns would also look nifty when you need to gain LOP.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
There are literally dozens of aftermarket stock chassis that use a collapsible AR stocks. This is probably ideal for your situation, and some are pretty affordable.
Regarding a barrel, finding a used ruger factory threaded barrel should be both inexpensive and easy to find. I would check places like tac sol volquartsen etc as some offer essentially new barrels that are takeoffs from builds pretty cheap. When it comes to finding parts for a project the key is patience. Hunt around gun shows dusty gun shops etc and you will eventually find what you need
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By linuxgnar:
So my son is turning 6 soon and I'd like to setup one of my 10/22s for him.

I'm going to be unemployed shortly so I'd like to keep it as affordable as possible.

For the stock, I found an old wood 10/22 stock on my parts rack.  I'm considering drilling a couple holes through the butt of the stock to use as alignment holes with steel rods or dowels. Then cutting the stock shorter in a few pieces -- the dowels would be so I can add them back as he gets older.  

Is this a terrible idea? I welcome any better ideas.

I was also hoping to find an affordable threaded barrel so I can put a can on it to keep him focused on shooting instead of noise.   A heavy .920 barrel might prove too heavy for him, so was leaning towards a tapered option. Any recommendations ? Preferably near the $100 price point?

If anyone has any other 10/22 youth setups I'd love to see and learn about them.

View Quote

No pics of mine because it's still a work in progress, but I'm assembling a kid-sized 10/22 as well.

- SBR'd receiver (was a braced pistol, then magically turned into an SBR about a year ago, crazy huh?)
- 10" threaded Charger barrel (can get takeoffs for ~$100)
- 10/22 Compact laminate stock (got it used for like $75)

Will be obviously be suppressed once it's done. Still need to decide what optic to put on top, maybe something small and light like a Holosun 507C.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top