Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2024 9:15:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCPhoenix]
I have 3 10/22’s that I’m wanting to do something on each one of them.

The first is a takedown model. I’ve shot it a handful of times and while I haven’t tested it properly, it doesn’t seem to be that accurate. Just plinking around, hitting things is more of luck rather than skill.
I kind of regret buying this. Takedowns serve very little purpose in reality (for me anyway).

Second is a 2011 model that has never skipped a beat for me. I’ve probably put around 1000 rounds through it (I’m the second owner) and I think the previous owner shot it a lot.
The rear sight is loose and seems like a bit of a pain to change out?
I actually was going to forget about the sight altogether and just scope it. HOWEVER, it seems like the previous owner tapped the holes out slightly as they won’t accept standard sized 10/22 screws.
Attachment Attached File

Third one I own is a brand new bog standard model.
I’d really like to replace the barrel with a 16” threaded barrel and make it into a good squirrel getter. Happy to take suggestions on barrels!
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By DCPhoenix:
Third one I own is a brand new bog standard model.
I’d really like to replace the barrel with a 16” threaded barrel and make it into a good squirrel getter. Happy to take suggestions on barrels!
View Quote

Feddersen 16" tapered barrel is superb. If you want a little more weight, their 17" heavy taper is probably the most accurate aftermarket barrel I've ever shot
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Kidd barrel
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#3]
On the one with the stripped out receiver holes, if you have a drill press, substituting the 6:48 screws for 8:40 which will require a #28 jobber drill bit and an 8:40 tap. can fix that.  
On the one with the loose rear sight, you can get one at Brownells, remove from left to right, install from right with brass punch.
Feddersen makes a 16.5 bull barrel threaded with iron sights.
I have the Feddersen and a Kidd barrel they're both equal in accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]
On your TD 10/22, make sure the adjustment for how tight the barrel fits the receiver is very snug.

If you have it loose enough to easily assemble/disassemble the two halves, it will not be very accurate. You need to adjust it so you force it (at least a little bit) when you put the two together.

The adjustment is the large knurled ring on the receiver end, if my memory is correct, turning it from left-right tightens the connection.

Good luck,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#5]
For that takedown, maybe get a barrel mounted red dot for it (to hold zero) and one of those Magpul backpacker stocks. Maybe a binary trigger for blasting if it's reliable?

For the one with the receiver issues, maybe try a few screws till you find the one that fits? Some aftermarket rails come with larger taps for bigger screws.

Go with KIDD parts for any upgrades on barrels and such.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't help with the TD model. I was suspicious of that design because the union between optic mount and the barrel. I like optics anchored to barrels.

I own two 10/22s. One is a standard SS model that came with a plastic stock. The other is a non-takedown Charger.

On both, i have Sig Romeo 5 red dots. Those are awesome little optics. I never liked the stock on the full size 10/22. Replaced it with a skeletonized fiber stock of the Druganov style. That stock is awesome and light. I considered putting on a brace on the little Charger (there are adaptors made for that), but i found i can shoot it very steadily by just anchoring the end of the stock to my cheek. The red dot lines up perfectly to my eye. It's. 22lr, so there is no recoil beating my cheek in. Kind of unorthadox, but it works well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Check that your barrel nut is tensioned correctly, then let the bolt fly home 3 times before shooting.  Mine is accurate enough with Tech Sights to reliably smack a gas cylinder at 200 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top