Link Posted: 11/14/2007 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By monkeyman:
Cheap extended mag release for the Ruger 10/22

What you will need...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3282.jpg

Use the drill to make a hole in your stock mag release just slightly bigger than the empty 22 shell. I think that is a 1/4" bit but I can't remember.  Glue the shell into the hole using JB Weld. Clamp and let it set up over night.

This is what you get...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3272.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3285.jpg

If you want a nice silver colored one, use a CCI Stinger case. If you want a nice custom cover on the casing do this...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3279.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3281.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3283.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3284.jpg

If you want to slip the cover on afterwards, just split it and push it down over the casing.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3286.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3287.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3292.jpg

Has the JB Weld held up to constant use?  I have never used the stuff and always wondered if it really worked.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 3:12:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Save your old toothbrushes for cleaning those hard to get nooks and crannies.

If you change your toothbrushes every 3 months like you are supposed to, you get a lot of free gun cleaning brushes.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
OST
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#6]
A real easy way to clean the star chamber on your AR is to put a 12 gauge bore brush on the end of a short rod and push it in just like you are going to push it down the barrel. The bristles get in all the nooks and crannies very well, couple swipes like that and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 1/11/2008 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Willamette:
Three tips for locating small parts that hit the floor, such as detents, springs, pins, etc.  

For hard floors set an illuminated flashlight onto the floor to shine its beam across the surface.  Try to reduce the room lighting and look for cast shadows from the part(s).  You may need to move the flashlight at different compass points around the floor to get the best shadow from the part.

For hard floors or carpetted floors, use a vacuum with a new bag or cleaned out filter, vacuum the area of the lost part, then open the vacuum bag or canister to locate the part.  If the part is magnetic, then using a fridge magnet or tool magnet may aid in speeding up the recovery.  This would also work with a broom for hard floors by sweeping everything into a pile, then performing the search within the pile.

This one is a little difficult to recommend, but I have had good success with it, especially with carpetted floors.  If you dropped a part, saw it's initial path when it fell, but were unable to see where it landed and looked all over the place for it but could not find it, then use an exact spare part or similar sized and shaped part to duplicate its fall.  You will be better able to watch the trajectory of the second part and quite often the part will rest close to where the original part came to rest.  If this fails, you can always resort to the first two tips.  

This also works with cars. I have done this with a small pebble more times than I can count when I am working on the TA or GT in the driveway and drop a small bolt in the engine-bay that bounces around on the pulleys, K-member, ect. and I cannot find it's final resting place. (dont drop near un-filtered carbs, with heads off, or anything stupid though).
Link Posted: 1/11/2008 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By dontgiveahoot:
The best muzzle cover? A condom with a rubber band to hold it on. Shoot-off, waterproof and dirt cheap.

Yeah, I learned it from a Demi Moore movie, but she was frickin' hot in that movie!

For a heck of a lot of cheap survival tricks this guy has a lot of neat stuff on his website. Condoms, film canisters, 550 cord and pop cans can do anything.

Why not just use a small water-balloon? They don't require a rubber band around them to stay on the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2008 12:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: knightsar] [#9]

1. Ok my contribution, when you want to clean the area inside of you AR bolt where your firing pin is I pull just about all the cotton off of those hard paper Q-tip and run them down the Firing pin hole it dose a good job of getting them clean. The cotton will go all the way to your firing pin hole on your bolt. I always check with a flashlight after to make sure not cotton is left in the hole.

2. Those nasty gas tubes that need cleaning after a few hundred rounds on your AK. Two passes from a 12g Bore snake and they are clean. Just a little tight but cleans them up in quick order.

knightsar
Link Posted: 2/12/2008 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By MikeWilliamson:

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
instead of coughing up cash for a duckbill, gapper, magpul trigger guard, etc....
use an ear plug

You all do realize that trigger guard FOLDS DOWN for use with gloves, and that "plugging" that "gap" makes that impossible, right?

I also have to wonder how small people's fingers are if they get pinched in there?

I first saw those things and thought they were a stupid solution to a non-problem.

Ten years later...I still think so.

+1
Link Posted: 2/12/2008 8:17:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrM4] [#11]
Just thought of another one my C3 dealer showed me for all you guys with "operator" rifles, Use a paint pen to mark you optic mounts and you upper receiver with a line so if you switch between optics makes it easy to rember where each sight goes.

Another thing when you are finished engaging a target practice closing your ejection port cover before setting the weapon down this will help keep it clean. This adds up if you are shooting all day.
Link Posted: 2/12/2008 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By MrM4:

Originally Posted By MikeWilliamson:

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
instead of coughing up cash for a duckbill, gapper, magpul trigger guard, etc....
use an ear plug

You all do realize that trigger guard FOLDS DOWN for use with gloves, and that "plugging" that "gap" makes that impossible, right?

I also have to wonder how small people's fingers are if they get pinched in there?

I first saw those things and thought they were a stupid solution to a non-problem.

Ten years later...I still think so.

+1

Its not so much getting pinched as it is getting cut.  The edges of that gap are fairly sharp on my bushaster and have made my finger bleed after a long class.  I am a wuss, the gapper is much more comfortable.  But that is just me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 10:38:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickey223] [#13]
Cheap photoluminescent sights.

If you've seen the glow in the dark dots lately people are using for sights then here's a more cost effective way of doing it.  

Pick up some 3m glow in the dark safety tape at (or your local supply store)

http://www.officebella.com/devStoreProductDetails.asp?idProduct=42409

Not cheap, but technically you could get 14-15 dots off a 1/16 strip so at 10 yards of tape, thats alot of dots.

Pick up a 1/16 hole punch (or do like I did an steal one from the wife's scrapbooking stuff)

and there you have it, punch away until you have little dots everywhere.  You can even get larger punch sizes (the traditional size works great for peep sights) and even cut strips and triangles with some little scissors to make that special arm chair commando glow in the dark sight look.

Link Posted: 2/18/2008 7:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#14]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Making 5-rnd ar mags.

Take a 10-rnd mag and remove the floorplate.

Slide the hollow plastic tube from a bic pen on the center post of the follower. Trim the tube to the length that allows only 5-rounds.

I have to ask-- WHY whould you want to do this
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 8:11:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#16]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By tweeter:

Originally Posted By BossHoss:

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Making 5-rnd ar mags.

Take a 10-rnd mag and remove the floorplate.

Slide the hollow plastic tube from a bic pen on the center post of the follower. Trim the tube to the length that allows only 5-rounds.

I have to ask-- WHY whould you want to do this

Some places have restrictions as to the size of magazines you use to hunt with.  Even varmints.

Thats understandable, are those modified as such count as legal? Been many yrs since i bird hunted but we used to have to have a "dowel rod" in our shotgun tubes to limit the rounds it whould hold.
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#18]
OST
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently wasted some money on one of those printer cartridge refill kits (then had to buy a new cartridge anyway a few days later).

The only benefit of the kit was the 3 empty ink resevoirs. If you've never bought one, they are round, about 1.5" high, they are "accordianed" so you can pump the ink out into the printer cartridge, they have a long thin steel needle on them and a small cap to keep the ink from leaking out.

Now, since they were empty I turned on the sink, full hot water, stuck the tip down in the hot water and began to squeeze and release the bottle to first suck the water up inside them and then force it out (along with some of the diluted ink). Once I got them clean I set them aside to dry, but they wouldn't with only the small hole in the needle's tip for moisture to leave the bottle. I pulled the needle and it came out of the top of the bottle along with a rubbery section of plastic that hold the needle and seals it into the top of the bottle. Then they dried out fine. I poured them full of 3n1 oil (but it could have been any type of lubricant) and put the needle back in the end of the bottle. I know have "oilers" that can "pump" oil out at any angle, a drop at a time, or more and the small long (about 2 inches) needle tip allows me to put the oil exactly where I want it down in the trigger assembly, the receiver, the bolt, etc.

So far they are working great. Yeah, I know, it won't fit in the stock but it fits in my tool box and on the workshop bench.

Have a good one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Well....there is this little thing I do with a towel after I come out of the shower
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Use a regular Tampon to clean the gas tube of an AK as well as the barrel of a shotgun.

Plus it looks awesome when you're in line at wally world with bullets and tampons.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Dace:
Found this one in my girl friends home magazine.

Krylon sells magnetic paint.

Krylon Magnetic Paint

Paint your workbench with it, you can even paint over it to paint your workbench another color once the magnetic paint has been applied.

Then your entire workbench will be magnetic and you can use the whole surface to hold springs and detents.  Get rid of the ugly magnetic mats.

Oh boy....
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#23]
CARDBOARD SILENCERS.
If you buy a case of soda or beer the intelaced cardboard latace works well. just a pice of tape at th end.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 9:15:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Frens] [#24]
any idea on how to build safety chamber flags?

and what about a bras catcher for the AR15?
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 12:02:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cerberus1] [#25]

Originally Posted By Frens:
any idea on how to build safety chamber flags?

and what about a bras catcher for the AR15?

Snip the pocket clip off of an ink-pen cap and fill with epoxy. Once it's dried,
drill a hole in  the end and screw a thin strip of colored plastic to serve as the
flag. Be sure to use a flush-head screw and seat it deep enough that it doesn't
gouge the bolt-face. (Edited for clarity.)
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 12:04:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cerberus1] [#26]
For the top of P. 20!

Another poor-man's job for making a 'tadpole' follower for shotgun mag tubes:
Use a pointed nozzle cap, such as a refill for a chalk line, and set it into the inside
of the cup-shaped factory follower with epoxy. Yes, this is absurdly stingy, but the
one I made who-knows-when is still solid and has served its purpose trouble-free.

I learned much from my poverty!  

Edited for Spellcheck-fail.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By BLY:

Originally Posted By JedYonkers:
If you get stitches they usually throw away the hemos and forceps when they are done if you ask they let you keep them, if you dont mind the blood. believe me i have lots
the angled ones are very handy

Next time I cut myself deep enough to need a Doc, I'll have to remember that.

My wife is a nurse. They come in "use once and throw away" kits. I get her to keep some of them, throw them in the sterilizer, then bring them home. They are handy!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#28]
BTT to keep the thread alive
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By FB41:

How do you "BTT" a tacked thread to keep it alive?
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Cuz I'm stoopid and didn't see the tack...  
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By SteelTalon:
Dont know if this has been added yet.

For patches go to fabric store buy a yard of cotton flannal for a buck. Cut to your need 1 yard of material will last a very long time.

Peace
Steel Talon
If your wife is into embroidery or quilting or any of that cloth craft stuff, she probably has a cutting mat and can easily cut that flannel into 1 inch squares (or whatever size you need) for you in a heart beat.  Or maybe you could buy a mat and cutter at WWorld and do it yourself.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 5:47:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Charliebee] [#32]

Originally Posted By Frens:
any plans for building a brass catcher for the AR15?

was wondering that myself
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Tag for some good ideas
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By ohiobob:
Tag for some good ideas

Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:

Link Posted: 9/1/2008 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By cerberus1:

Tag for some good ideas

Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:

uh I didn't BUMP the thread
Link Posted: 9/15/2008 3:29:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#37]

uh I didn't BUMP the thread

Sorry, sorry! I mis-spoke, and apologize for it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2008 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Science Lab Bottle Brushes... work fucking wonders... Hold CLP in them well... will touch all surfaces of springs and odd ball areas... I use them to CLP all the weird nooks and cranny's in all my guns.

Bottles Brushes are great for:
-Springs
-Lubing hard to reach spots
-Mag wells
-Magazine bodies
-Thin layer of CLP in almost any caliber barrel (handguns)
-All Size holes that would be used for Pins,screws, or holes that guide rods go through.
-They basically will hold CLP and conform to any shape you brush them against...
-Great for quickly applying think Layers of CLP on all surfaces upon completion of cleaning a firearm.

When you are done... you clean them in the sink with Dish Soap... let them dry... and they are like brand new...

Have had the same one for almost 2 years... and it still holds its shape...

I USE THEM ON EVERY GUN I CLEAN!!!!... especially cleaning the Springs and Mags...
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#39]
OST....great ideas!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#40]
El-tagooooo

GREAT thread!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Using the scope rings sold at WalMart and an LED light from WalMart to give yourself a low-cost yet relatively effective light mount.

The trick is finding a flashlight that fits the scope rings.... once you do that, just mount it on like a scope to your handguards of whatever.

A mounted light costs $30 instead of $300.
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 11:34:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PeaceKeepr] [#42]
pour 1 bottle of rubbing alcohol into a sealable bag
fill the empty bottle w/ tap water and pour into the bag
seal the bag
freeze

makes 1 ice/slush pack for aches and pains

pour a pack of dry beans into a sock or similar cloth pouch and tie off
warm the pouch in microwave for a bit

makes 1 "heat pad" for aches and pains
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By monkeyman:
Cheap extended mag release for the Ruger 10/22

What you will need...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3282.jpg

Use the drill to make a hole in your stock mag release just slightly bigger than the empty 22 shell. I think that is a 1/4" bit but I can't remember.  Glue the shell into the hole using JB Weld. Clamp and let it set up over night.

This is what you get...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3272.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3285.jpg

If you want a nice silver colored one, use a CCI Stinger case. If you want a nice custom cover on the casing do this...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3279.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3281.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3283.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3284.jpg

If you want to slip the cover on afterwards, just split it and push it down over the casing.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3286.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3287.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mac66/100_3292.jpg

Has the JB Weld held up to constant use?  I have never used the stuff and always wondered if it really worked.

So far it has work well in this application. It may not work as well in high torque situations.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By badazzar15:

Originally Posted By Mike_L:

Krylon Magnetic Paint

Paint your workbench with it, ...

Then your entire workbench will be magnetic and you can use the whole surface to hold springs and detents. Get rid of the ugly magnetic mats.

Have you tried that? The Krylon page says:

Creates a surface that magnets will stick to

I take that to mean that it has enough iron in the paint that magnets will stick, but that the paint itself isn't magnetic and won't hold anything that's not magnetic itself.

If that's true, your workbench idea won't work. (But the play box would work just like the fridge for the daughter's toys.)

if it really has alot of lead in it, i dont see it being to safe, im going to have to look into it further.
It wouldn't be lead in the paint; lead is non-ferrous.  It would have to be iron particles.  I doubt that the paint is magnetic; it would make a surface ferrous so a magnet will stick to it.

Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By R0ME0:
<table]<tr]<td]
Originally Posted By JosephR:
This might not work for all of you like it has for me, but it really only cost a few bucks-

I had a spare A2 FS and I used our surveying Blaze Orange Marking Paint to give it a nice bright glow.  I walk into the bank with that A2 installed and then when I'm inside, I swap back to the original.  This accomplishes two things- the people who see me first and call the police think I'm just some dumbass with a toy gun- they see the orange tip and the police recognize that as a toy.  Once I get inside, I swap so that those people know I mean business.  They will trip the alarms and the police ought to say "hmm...  We already got a call about that bank.  The dumbass teller must not know the difference.  Let the old security guard take care of that airsoft kid..."

It works better for me because Steve at ADCO ensures he picks A2s that will line up without needing peel washers or crush washers.  I can swap my FS out instantly and have it timed perfectly in seconds!!!!

I keep a little pack of paintballs with me so i can smash those over my arms and chest.  Everyone outisde will think I was inside playing paintball and am running away with the "loot"

i cant stop laughing!!!

That made me belly-laugh. lol I love sayin' shit like that just to see people's reactions. lol

Link Posted: 2/27/2009 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TheFightinFrog:
Originally Posted By R0ME0:
<table]<tr]<td]
Originally Posted By JosephR:
This might not work for all of you like it has for me, but it really only cost a few bucks-

I had a spare A2 FS and I used our surveying Blaze Orange Marking Paint to give it a nice bright glow.  I walk into the bank with that A2 installed and then when I'm inside, I swap back to the original.  This accomplishes two things- the people who see me first and call the police think I'm just some dumbass with a toy gun- they see the orange tip and the police recognize that as a toy.  Once I get inside, I swap so that those people know I mean business.  They will trip the alarms and the police ought to say "hmm...  We already got a call about that bank.  The dumbass teller must not know the difference.  Let the old security guard take care of that airsoft kid..."

It works better for me because Steve at ADCO ensures he picks A2s that will line up without needing peel washers or crush washers.  I can swap my FS out instantly and have it timed perfectly in seconds!!!!

I keep a little pack of paintballs with me so i can smash those over my arms and chest.  Everyone outisde will think I was inside playing paintball and am running away with the "loot"

i cant stop laughing!!!

That made me belly-laugh. lol I love sayin' shit like that just to see people's reactions. lol

He (OP) wasn't kidding....

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 12:59:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slickside35] [#47]
To make a buttstock on any AR15 truly interchangeable withou having to remove the spring and detent for the rear takedown pin...do this. Tap the hole w/standard 4-40 tap (no drilling) and insert a 1/8" 4-40 hexhead set screw(all available at Lowes, Home Depot, or Ace Hardware). You can then change out stocks on the AR lower without worrying about losing the spring and detent. I do this on all my rifles. Costs about $6-$7 bucks
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 5:29:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cerberus1] [#48]
I just thought of this one last night:

Save those little 2-oz. energy drink bottles to for cleaning
up Loc-Tite'd screws or other tiny parts. Fill the bottle up
about half-way with your solvent of choice (non-chlorinated
brake cleaner for me), drop in your tiny parts, cap it tightly,
and shake the bejeezus out of it. Let it sit and soak for a bit.
Repeat as necessary. It's like a tiny little parts-washing
machine, nearly for free.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Easy way to recover those tiny parts springs etc. that fall and roll away to unknown parts.
Take your shop vac or the house vac. Grab a pair of the wifes nylons. fold em over the end of the hose secure with rubber bands.and run the vacum in the nooks and crannies.

The vacum will suck em in and the nylon will catch it at the hose entrance.Easy to recover..
Peace
Steel Talon
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#50]
tag
Page / 13
Top Top