Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2016 5:26:15 PM EDT
NFA bug has bit me bad and all I can think about is how cool my 20ga/357mag would be chopped down to 12-14". If I understand correctly, with a length over 12" it would be a AOW. This would make a pretty handy hiking rifle able to take any game in my AO within reasonable distances. How will the 20ga perform at this length? Will shortening the barrels throw of my joint poi? Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe since it is already a shotgun, you can only SBS it. AOW's have to come from a virgin receiver (not sure if I used the correct terminology).

Anyhow, do the SBS. Post pics, too
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RumbleTruck:
I believe since it is already a shotgun, you can only SBS it. AOW's have to come from a virgin receiver (not sure if I used the correct terminology).

View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Exactly
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Exactly

Combo guns such as the savage 24 series will be AOWs if they meet certain standards. They aren't SBS because of the rifle barrel and they aren't SBR because of the shotgun barrel.

From the ATF AOW reg
Weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By williewvr:

Combo guns such as the savage 24 series will be AOWs if they meet certain standards. They aren't SBS because of the rifle barrel and they aren't SBR because of the shotgun barrel.

From the ATF AOW reg
Weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By williewvr:

Exactly

From the ATF AOW reg

This.

Everyone gets the whole "virgin receivers" mantra in their head without understanding what it means. The AOW category includes a number of types of firearms. One type is smoothbore handguns. For it to be a handgun, it can't have ever had a stock. If it did, it would have been a shotgun, not a handgun.

If the gun has both rifled and smoothbore barrels, it is a combination gun. If the barrels are between 12" and 18", it is an AOW. If you take a combination gun with a barrel greater than or equal to 18" and cut it down, it becomes an AOW. Since it has a smooth bore, it can't be an SBR. Since it has a rifled barrel, it can't be an SBS.

What I want someone to do is ask BATFE what category it would fit into if they took a combination gun and cut the barrels to below 12". It could be neither SBR or SBS, and the barrels would be too short to fit into the AOW category. So, being neither fish or fowl, what is it?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top