Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2024 10:35:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06]
Alrighty folks ... everyone seems to have some trouble removing the flash hider ... no need to worry ... here is how I did it on mine and maaaany other platforms where I've used rocksett ...

Key is heat and water ...

Step 1)

Heat your muzzle device with a propane torch for about 30-45 seconds ... not scorching hot but hot ...

Step 2)

After torching it ... let it sit while you get HOT water out of your faucet in a container or bucket ... make sure you have enough to FULLY submerge the muzzle device (I go about an inch above the muzzle device)

Step 3)

Place your barrel with the hot muzzle device into the hot water for about 2 hours

Step 4)

Chuck your barrel into a wise with softjaws or wooden planks by the gas block

Step 5)

Be a man and apply about 45 ft/lbs ... voaaala ...

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I traced my barrel on a 2x4 and cut the shape out with a jig saw. Then I put my new 2x4 barrel clamp in my vice with the barrel in between and used a large wrench and it came right off.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Although we all have been fighting with Rockset on our Spear LT’s I still think most of what people are fighting against is the 25 degree taper.I’ve got several tapered barrels and even without Rockset they take alot more force to get off then one would anticipate.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
And be sure to take your barrel out of the upper before you do any of the above. I thought it wouldn't have been necessary to say that, but we've seen it occur several times here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The website for the maker of Rockset appears to show them soaking in boiling water on a hot stovetop.

https://www.flexbar.com/products/rocksett-1oz-muzzle-adhesive

I've never actually used Rockset myself, but I thought that it was interesting.

Griff
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I've removed rockset tons of times and it was always just putting g the muzzle end in boiling water for 5 minutes. That's it. Works 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
For my 11.5 spear I simply put the barrel assembly in a vice (padded with cardboard), took a breaker bar and a 3/4" socket. I supported the gas block assembly with my weak hand and pulled down on the breaker bar, broke that bitch loose in under 5 minutes.  No heat or water.  Gun built 8/2023
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a like new/used Spear-LT upper. Obviously, Sig used a lot of Rocksett.

Attachment Attached File

What had been previously explained to me is that Rocksett skin hardens from the outside in. So there was still some liquid that boiled out when this was shot.

I originally tried my normal method of cardboard in a clamp with no prep. It didn't want to budge, so I put it on the stove in boiling water for 10 minutes. Pulled it out, walked to the shop, clamp, spun it right off.

Piece of cake.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]
It is funny I saw this today.  Was literally just about to look this up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top