Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2024 7:40:30 PM EDT
Looking at a few suppressors that are all currently out of stock, but want to be ready when they are back in stock on how to register them. I likely won’t do a traditional trust route and mess with background checks, fingerprints, etc for everyone on the trust. So I was thinking of doing the Single Shot/Unlimited. However, after reading on it a bit, it appears in the event of my death the Single Shot is limited in who the suppressor can go to.

Individual: can be willed to whoever is listed as beneficiary of that item in my will, after the required paperwork is completed for the transfer to said individual.
Standard trust: can list beneficiary to pass too in that trust.
Single Shot: “The Trust is set up to pass to whomever is listed as the Executor of your will.”

I don’t exactly like being limited to that. If my wife (executor if only I die) has no interest in owning them after I die, but my kids do, they would have to go through a transfer outside of the trust to get to my kids as individual registration. If my wife and I were to both pass at the same time, the executor in that case would be another relative of mine, and would get them, not my kids.

For those that have done a Single Shot, were you aware they are set up like this/is there anyway around it being set up like that?

Silencer Shop Trust Comparison
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Silencer Shop will not modify the trust for you. So that's to answer your second question.

To answer your first question: no, I did not notice this.  I also don't really care. Either way the Executor is a person I trust, and I'm dead....so meh.

In for a real response from an arf attorney.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I sometimes wish I had not done the SS Trust..It has been a long painful wait.. People are getting their Individual Eforms approved in as little as two day..With the Single Shot, I just wait.. But I am going to be happy to have it..It sounds like it is very easy to add the Wife, kids, and anyone else after approval very easy..I am not going to be buying anymore suppressors. So the SS is fine for me.. If you have other NFA stuff, a traditional trust may be the way to go..
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:46:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PlaysWithAtoms] [#3]
The SS trust says roles can be assigned and changed.  I don't see why you can't instruct the Executor of your will to assign their Successor Trustee to someone else, including a Beneficiary, and then relinquish their own position in the same act.  You can also have different types of Trustee powers, such as Supporting Trustee that can possess the NFA device but cannot make changes to the Trust.

IMO- buy the trust.  Get the toy.  Have fun.  Hire an attorney later to modify the trust if you don't like it.

ETA: I am not an attorney and my advice is worth what you paid for it
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By carbineone1964:
I sometimes wish I had not done the SS Trust..It has been a long painful wait.. People are getting their Individual Eforms approved in as little as two day..With the Single Shot, I just wait.. But I am going to be happy to have it..It sounds like it is very easy to add the Wife, kids, and anyone else after approval very easy..I am not going to be buying anymore suppressors. So the SS is fine for me.. If you have other NFA stuff, a traditional trust may be the way to go..
View Quote

BATFE is saying that some common trusts (read: SS) will get the same quick turnaround.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
My FFL said the only trusts they have seen come back quickly is the SS trusts.  They've seen 3-5 day turns on some of them.
It's all still a crapshoot. I'm going on 3 weeks waiting my my can, filed as an individual.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I did my SS Trust last Sept. and I still wait..I am sure others that did their SS Trust last week are probably approved already and mine is laying at the bottom of the pile..
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:56:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: carbineone1964] [#7]
I did a email inquiry this morning, they got back to quick..Which probably means it is just the normal autofill response they send everyone.. And below is what they said, good sign or not..Who knows.. Probably means nothing significant. But I will keep hoping anyway..

"It was submitted on November 29, 2023 and it has recently been moved into the trust processing queue and will be processed by the next available trust examiner."
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By carbineone1964:
I did a email inquiry this morning, they got back to quick..Which probably means it is just the normal autofill response they send everyone.. And below is what they said, good sign or not..Who knows.. Probably means nothing significant. But I will keep hoping anyway..

"It was submitted on November 29, 2023 and it has recently been moved into the trust processing queue and will be processed by the next available trust examiner."
View Quote

Who did you submit this to?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PlaysWithAtoms:

BATFE is saying that some common trusts (read: SS) will get the same quick turnaround.
View Quote
I just used SS for 2 eForm1's on Saturday. 1 got approved yesterday. The other one is in limbo because their system had an error, and their email customer service is horrible and only responds to me every other day. They instruct me to do something, I do it and reply that is it done, and then don't hear back for 2 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top