Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2024 4:04:07 PM EDT
Anybody have the Opsin?  I understand it's digital and there will be limitations.  My question is this:  Is it as effective for start gazing as analog?  My PVS14 is freaking awesome for star gazing and I am looking for a low cost loaner option.

They are cheap.  I would have this unit for my wife or kids and part of the cool factor is star gazing.  I want something more forgiving with exposing it to bright lights.  My youngest son would do the work and be disciplined about it, but my wife and oldest son probably wouldn't.  

I know for regular use it will need supplemental IR light and I will have that covered.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
@GroundhogOZ is the only owner as far as I know, maybe he'll see this. I don't know anything about star-gazing, but the ability to see up to 1200nm may show more objects? As far as supplemental IR needed, only once you get into NL5 conditions, but once there, yes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:54:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#2]
@balloo @mickdonaldson

The OPSIN strength is it is ability is to see into SWIR, its weaknesses are the lens 15mm/F1.3 and detector pixel pitch which is between 9 microns and 10 microns.  

A decent quality analogue unit has MCP pores around 5 microns thus for a 10 micron block the analogue detector will have the equivalent of 4 pixels to the OPSINs 1.  The glass in a good quality analogue unit is also better, typically F1.2 or better, which will give better light transmission.  

Real world - people do use modified Sionyx products for star gazing by changing out the lens assembly for better glass and often using long pass filters to look at specific wavelengths e.g. SWIR.

If you want one device to do some gazing and photos go for a decent PVS14, in the first instance I would suggest something with a higher performing echo plus tube as they have extended wavelength and better edge to edge performance and Lp/mm.  Equally if you have a bit more cash in the bank stretch out to L3 filmless with white phosphor, you will get a little more gain but not the same wavelength spread and in my view slightly worse edge to edge contrast (this can be very user dependant).    

Nothing wrong with the OPSIN its an excellent multipurpose night vision device with very broad case use.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I might put this on eth back burner then and just let him use my PVS14 when I'm out with my son or wife then.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Candid Opsin review just released after using it at Moons Out Goons Out 2024:

I bought a SiOnyx Opsin with my own money
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:39:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#5]
That guy hasn't a clue what he's talking about.  

I have been using the pro in a professional capacity for multiple years and its truly excellent.

I have also used the OPSIN for many, many hundreds of hours in a wide variety of environments and as a general rule its been excellent.  

The OPSIN 2 version has performed flawlessly.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:04:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDS87] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:
That guy hasn't a clue what he's talking about.  

I have been using the pro in a professional capacity for multiple years and its truly excellent.

I have also used the OPSIN for many, many hundreds of hours in a wide variety of environments and as a general rule its been excellent.  

The OPSIN 2 version has performed flawlessly.  

View Quote

Could you be more specific? He basically makes a living trying out NV equipment and recording it so it seems like there would be a clue to be had in there somewhere. Which of his experiences/perceptions are wrong?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#7]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

Could you be more specific? He basically makes a living trying out NV equipment and recording it so it seems like there would be a clue to be had in there somewhere. Which of his experiences/perceptions are wrong?
View Quote

I neither have the time nor the inclination - that review was simply inarticulate and one dimensional.  The OSPIN absolutely shines in full moon conditions - its like its bright daylight whether you're in woods or not in woods.  As always a poor workman blames the tools.  

In fact, outdoors in quarter moon (and above) in lightly treed environments its better than analogue night vision for most use cases.  In any urban outdoors environment it also out performs analogue night vision because colour may have a great deal of importance and a layer of depth analogue doesn't have.  

The performance over water is generally better than analogue night vision.  

The fact the detector doesn't decay with high intensity use is a another factor to take into consideration.  

The upgrade to OPSIN 2 is dependant on the initial firmware and is a two stage process - it seems like something may have gone wrong when he did the upgrade.  Who knows?  Again, poor workmen blame the tools.  

Here's the rub, for a lot of general work I use the OPSIN 2.0 over my binos most of the time, because it has more range and flexibility.  In fact my two most used devices are a thermal spotter and the OPSIN.  

PS the limit of resolution which is related to pixel pitch does limit DRI.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:44:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDS87] [#8]

I neither have the time nor the inclination - that review was simply inarticulate and one dimensional.  The OSPIN absolutely shines in full moon conditions - its like its bright daylight whether you're in woods or not in woods.  As always a poor workman blames the tools.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You absolutely have the time and inclination, I've seen you do this in other threads, you love it.  

In fact, outdoors in quarter moon (and above) in lightly treed environments its better than analogue night vision for most use cases.  In any urban outdoors environment it also out performs analogue night vision because colour may have a great deal of importance and a layer of depth analogue doesn't have.  

The performance over water is generally better than analogue night vision.  

The fact the detector doesn't decay with high intensity use is a another factor to take into consideration.  

The upgrade to OPSIN 2 is dependant on the initial firmware and is a two stage process - it seems like something may have gone wrong when he did the upgrade.  Who knows?  Again, poor workmen blame the tools.

You think his issues with the device were from faulty firmware? What issue specifically do you think that caused?

Here's the rub, for a lot of general work I use the OPSIN 2.0 over my binos most of the time, because it has more range and flexibility.  In fact my two most used devices are a thermal spotter and the OPSIN.  

PS the limit of resolution which is related to pixel pitch does limit DRI.

How do you use these devices professionally? Do you sell them?

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:03:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#9]
LOL and no I don't sell them.

The juice isn't worth the squeeze contributing to this forum.  Far better things to do with my time.

The only reason I chimed in here was because Mickdonaldson tagged me, other than that I wouldn't have said anything.  Well other than laugh at the larping video.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:16:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#10]
Ive been asleep for awhile.  There is an OPSIN 2?  Version 2?  I did not know.

Gonna go look that up.

Edit.   Looks like the firmware update fixed a lot of original issues users complained about.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL and no I don't sell them.

The juice isn't worth the squeeze contributing to this forum.  Far better things to do with my time.

The only reason I chimed in here was because Mickdonaldson tagged me, other than that I wouldn't have said anything.  Well other than laugh at the larping video.
View Quote

Okay, well, glad you enjoyed the 24-minute video. The LARPer found the Opsin to be inferior in low-light use (where most people want their night vision to perform well) to Chinese Gen 2 analog tubes, but I guess it's adequate for some unmentionable professional things.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Did he now, as I said I found it remarkably one dimensional, actively hostile, shallow and with very little technical insight.  I gave you some pointers but you're not interested in facts or case use.  

As I said I own one and have been very happy with it, use it regularly.  The purpose of this thread was a discussion about use for star gazing - I gave my accurate feedback to the OP.  I have little more to add.  

Use the right tool for the right job.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:52:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#13]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
Ive been asleep for awhile.  There is an OPSIN 2?  Version 2?  I did not know.

Gonna go look that up.

Edit.   Looks like the firmware update fixed a lot of original issues users complained about.
View Quote

Yes lots of useful improvements and practical upgrades.  The update has been out for a long time.  

Simple touches e.g. ability to flick between colour and grey scale, better rendition of cardinal direction, EV moved to on off knob.  

I know about half a dozen users, all have good quality analogue gear and all like the OPSIN and all recognise its strengths and weaknesses.

The reality, is most of the time you're not at NL5........................and you're just covering ground (99.99% of time).  I run my unit in conjunction with ATAK, have a quick look at the compass nav and topo and go heads up with the OPSIN for long stretches as I have the coords and cardinal directions in the OPSIN HUD. This is particularly easy if you have the TDAL plugin installed (allowing you to run different coordinate sets e.g. MGRS and DD)

Saves a lot of time.

Would be great if there was an API linking the OPSIN to ATAK and thus to the rest of the mesh.  

The photos from the OPSIN are geocoded and its far better using the OPSIN to do this function than TAK geocam in a lot of cases. Caveat - unless you need to send immediately.  

It will be interesting to see where SiOnyx go with the 9950/51 detector which has half the pixel pitch of the 1350 detector.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Did he now, as I said I found it remarkably one dimensional, actively hostile, shallow and with very little technical insight.  I gave you some pointers but you're not interested in facts or case use.
View All Quotes
True, he focuses mostly on end-user experience, capability, and comparison to other devices for his use case rather than technical insight as to what creates those abilities and limitations. I can appreciate the advancement of this digital tech. I WANT very capable, relatively inexpensive digital technology, of course. You are knowledgeable about the technology and how it does with a star gazing use case, but you really shouldn't call someone clueless when they are very experienced with their use case.

As I said I own one and have been very happy with it, use it regularly.  The purpose of this thread was a discussion about use for star gazing - I gave my accurate feedback to the OP.  I have little more to add.  

Use the right tool for the right job.  

I thought that was very good information you shared about star gazing. Since that video was publicly released literally at the same time I noticed this thread I thought OP might be curious how it performs relative to analog NV when moving around terrain in different lighting.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Hop? Hahahahaha! I quit watching him when he was clueless about the Pro. I mean it's pretty simple - NL4 and it fn rocks, NL5 and it doesn't. So if he said it sucks in NL4 conditions - he had an agenda. PLEASE tell me he didn't say it sucked under a full moon, LOL.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:56:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Hop? Hahahahaha! I quit watching him when he was clueless about the Pro. I mean it's pretty simple - NL4 and it fn rocks, NL5 and it doesn't. So if he said it sucks in NL4 conditions - he had an agenda. PLEASE tell me he didn't say it sucked under a full moon, LOL.

View Quote

No, he said (and more importantly, showed) it worked quite well under a full moon and in more open areas. That's not saying much for NV. He made it clear the purpose-made Opsin is much better than the Aurora cameras.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:57:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#17]
Lol @mickdonaldson - pretty much, the usual schtick - damned with faint praise, a lot of the early filming was without the firmware upgrades etc In full moon, as you know under those conditions in woodland its like a bright summers day with lots of shadow cast by the moon.  

For me its the interoperability with other devices e.g. see ATAK above and range of use cases its effective for.  Most of the time its about movement and communication and with any moon its excellent.  Sure if you're in very dense tree cover it will suffer in starlight but no one has ever claimed it wouldn't.  I have always felt its about picking the right tool for the right circumstances.  

If you're sub 1mlux its analogue all the way.  

Perhaps the guy has bad eyesight or poor optics, who knows.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:30:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#18]
True, he focuses mostly on end-user experience, capability, and comparison to other devices for his use case rather than technical insight as to what creates those abilities and limitations. I can appreciate the advancement of this digital tech. I WANT very capable, relatively inexpensive digital technology, of course. You are knowledgeable about the technology and how it does with a star gazing use case, but you really shouldn't call someone clueless when they are very experienced with their use case.

I thought that was very good information you shared about star gazing. Since that video was publicly released literally at the same time I noticed this thread I thought OP might be curious how it performs relative to analog NV when moving around terrain in different lighting.
View Quote

LOL - "very experienced with their use case".  That is beyond priceless but you do you.  

The youtuber has no technical or military background whatsoever.  He's a youtuber and not a subject matter expert through development knowledge and training at best you could describe him as a product reviewer.  This is material if you want to judge competency.  Yes or No?

As I said his review was one dimensional, it was.  He has no balance or perspective - if he did he would test in a whole range of environments and different conditions.  I understand this because - I own an OPSIN and a Pro, so I can say this on the basis of knowledge, insight and a lot of use.  He simply rubbishes stuff and lacks the knowledge and insight to understand how, where and why you might turn to other devices.  As a consequence I have little time for him or his ilk.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:pretty much, the usual schtick - damned with faint praise, a lot of the early filming was without the firmware upgrades etc
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:pretty much, the usual schtick - damned with faint praise, a lot of the early filming was without the firmware upgrades etc

I asked you which of his issues were caused by firmware but you didn't want to talk about those. You didn't "have the time" for that, but you had plenty of time (as I said) to continue with the thread and avoid that. I was genuinely asking about the firmware.

LOL - "very experienced with their use case".  That is beyond priceless but you do you.  

Thanks, I will!

The youtuber has no technical or military background whatsoever.  He's a youtuber and not a subject matter expert through development knowledge and training.  This is material if you want to judge competency.  Yes or No?

No, not for understanding the strengths and weaknesses in practical use compared to analog. YouTube is a medium that all kinds of people use to convey information, some of which is done infinitely better than just typed words. If he completely missed out because of firmware issues on his particular sample, then that is very material. However, other online user reports describe similar issues.

As I said his review was one dimensional, it was.  He has no balance or perspective - if he did he would test in a whole range of environments and different conditions.  I understand this because - I own an OPSIN and a Pro, so I can say this on the basis of knowledge, insight and a lot of use.  He simply rubbishes stuff and lacks the knowledge and insight to understand how, where and why you might turn to other devices.  As a consequence I have little time for him or his ilk.

He has the perspective of using it in varying levels of ambient lighting conditions, within structures, in open terrain and in wooded areas while maneuvering and shooting actively and passively. Because he has done the same with analog for a few years, he has a basis for comparison. I'm glad you have found a niche for this, that would be constructive to share.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:58:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#20]
LOL.  Was he or is he military trained, does he have technical insight based on STEM knowledge and development of the device or similar.  Yes or No.  Answer NO

Does the limit of his knowledge come down to being a youtube gear reviewer.  With zero military expertise and no MATERIAL training beyond dress ups . Yes or no, answer the question.  Answer NO

Couldn't care less what you think - do you own an OPSIN or a Pro?  Yes or No, answer NO, otherwise you would understand the discussion which you don't.  

Stop trolling contribute something of meaning or simply go away if you have no knowledge of the subject matter.  

I have nothing to share with you, absolutely zero, because it would be a waste of time.  

Niche...........priceless.  Whats your niche? LOL  

Simply put, a youtuber with no material experience is simply that, a vacuous space, empty of intellect and devoid of genuine knowledge or experience, a larper who is destructive through the lens of ignorance rather than constructive through the lens of experience and knowledge.  

Have a nice day

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:19:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#21]
Like I said, NL4 = awesome (and the OPSIN goes way further into NL4 than the Pro), NL5 and it sucks (where analog is still rocking). I've posted about 100 pics from night shoots and other tests, and about 15 videos from night shoots and other tests, showing it's (in my case, a lower performing Aurora Pro) just fine. If the insinuation is that you can't use a Pro or OPSIN to walk, run, drive, and shoot in NL4 conditions, then maybe his settings were all jacked up? Grey Scale and 30fps is perfectly awesome for all of the above - Color and 90fps will lower the light collection performance - "lag" is the biggest nothing-burger with Sionyx.

I mean, here's the Moon Phases for that event:

Huh?

Here's a Gen 1 Sport under the same conditions:

I mean, who knows? That's why I don't watch that kid - his Sionyx stuff never matches up to what I experience with mine. It doesn't match up with Karl and Ian's last use of it, either, IIRC. But to be fair, like I said, I don't watch him - just going off of the above synopses.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:22:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#22]
Agreed, hard to know what to say.  No objectivity anymore, particularly from those that never have to use in the real world.  Likely explains why the Night Vision threads have died over the last few years.  It has become a waste of time.

Anyhow, thanks for tagging me - I'll clear off.  All the best.  

Got a great weekend planned with some former SOCOMD mates on the use and abuse of digital systems, so in many respects this thread was timely as was my ability to break ATAK!

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#23]
LOL.  Was he or is he military trained, does he have technical insight based on STEM knowledge and development of the device or similar.  Yes or No.  Answer NO

Does the limit of his knowledge come down to being a youtube gear reviewer.  With zero military expertise and no MATERIAL training beyond dress ups . Yes or no, answer the question.  Answer NO
View All Quotes

The limit of his knowledge does NOT come down to being a youtube gear reviewer? Interesting.

As an active duty service member I can say that military service is not required to have a perfectly valid grasp of gear/technology. I learned a lot from others when shopping for my own devices because I recognize that.

Couldn't care less what you think - do you own an OPSIN or a Pro?  Yes or No, answer NO, otherwise you would understand the discussion which you don't.  

Stop trolling contribute something of meaning or simply go away if you have no knowledge of the subject matter.  

I have nothing to share with you, absolutely zero, because it would be a waste of time.  

Niche...........priceless.  Whats your niche? LOL  

Simply put, a youtuber with no material experience is simply that, a vacuous space, empty of intellect and devoid of genuine knowledge or experience, a larper who is destructive through the lens of ignorance rather than constructive through the lens of experience and knowledge.  

Have a nice day

I just wanted to contribute other points of view and learn more about the Opsin. Your feelings about it are irrelevant.

My professional niche is  helicopter crew duties utilizing night vision. I also enjoy using my personal devices to hike in my free time, and to shoot with when I can. I'm sure that is uproariously hilarious to you, please condescend it, everyone will see how smart you are.

Just like the FLIR Breach thread, you won't mention your related professional credentials, and it's not because you are above doing so. Do you own any analog night vision devices?

You have a wonderful day as well, see you on your next reply!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Like I said, NL4 = awesome (and the OPSIN goes way further into NL4 than the Pro), NL5 and it sucks (where analog is still rocking). I've posted about 100 pics from night shoots and other tests, and about 15 videos from night shoots and other tests, showing it's (in my case, a lower performing Aurora Pro) just fine. If the insinuation is that you can't use a Pro or OPSIN to walk, run, drive, and shoot in NL4 conditions, then maybe his settings were all jacked up? Grey Scale and 30fps is perfectly awesome for all of the above - Color and 90fps will lower the light collection performance - "lag" is the biggest nothing-burger with Sionyx.

I mean, here's the Moon Phases for that event:

https://i.imgur.com/GLmW80J.jpeg

Huh?

Here's a Gen 1 Sport under the same conditions:

https://i.imgur.com/0GomJGB.jpg

I mean, who knows? That's why I don't watch that kid - his Sionyx stuff never matches up to what I experience with mine. It doesn't match up with Karl and Ian's last use of it, either, IIRC. But to be fair, like I said, I don't watch him - just going off of the above synopses.
View Quote

Right on, multiple end-user perspectives is where the value is.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#25]

I just wanted to contribute other points of view and learn more about the Opsin.
View Quote

It's all good man, that's how stuff gets hashed out. IMO, the Sionyx threads on ARFCOM, are the most detailed and data rich threads on the internet - a person can definitely figure out if one will work for their *own* use case, by reading everything in them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#26]

The limit of his knowledge does NOT come down to being a youtube gear reviewer? Interesting.

As an active duty service member I can say that military service is not required to have a perfectly valid grasp of gear/technology. I learned a lot from others when shopping for my own devices because I recognize that.

I just wanted to contribute other points of view and learn more about the Opsin. Your feelings about it are irrelevant.

My professional niche is  helicopter crew duties utilizing night vision. I also enjoy using my personal devices to hike in my free time, and to shoot with when I can. I'm sure that is uproariously hilarious to you, please condescend it, everyone will see how smart you are.

Just like the FLIR Breach thread, you won't mention your related professional credentials, and it's not because you are above doing so. Do you own any analog night vision devices?

You have a wonderful day as well, see you on your next reply!
View Quote
Also to add, not a single western tier 1/tier 2 group has opted for any kind of digital nvgs, not even for night observation roles. Also, atak capabilities can be added to analog with the ecoti.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#27]
SiOnyx has a weird issue with either the lenses that they use or the sensor which causes bright sources of light to appear as rhombus shaped. it's not really an issue for stargazing, however they could appear squarish. The Opsin has very good low light performance but in order to stargaze without a lot of noise present it has to be a bright sky with the moon out or in light polluted area. If you really want something good, modify the Aurora Pro and find F0.95/1.0/1.2 lenses that have very good transmission in the visible and IR spectrum (preferably also IR corrected) and then you can lower the framerate lower than 30fps and get a very good view. Keep in mind that the lens + Aurora Pro would most likely exceed the price of Opsin. Search up C-Mount 1" lenses. The very good ones are really expensive.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#28]
Originally Posted By mbz451:
Also to add, not a single western tier 1/tier 2 group has opted for any kind of digital nvgs, not even for night observation roles. Also, atak capabilities can be added to analog with the ecoti.
View Quote

You obviously missed the IVAS program, the Squad level assessment program recently finished (in Feb 2024).  

Three OPSIN units were used here over the weekend (the purpose of the exercise was effectively the use and abuse of systems in recovery/rescue scenarios - the purpose was not to test the OPSIN, they were part of a much broader mix of gear used in various scenarios).  This weekend was selected because the moon was ~ 2% and was rising at around 4.30AM and setting at 5PM.  In other words starlight only conditions.  There are two very significant irradiance peaks the OPSIN capitalises on at ~1050nm and 1150nm in the SWIR spectrum which allows it to function well in these conditions.  Also the 1050nm IR HM illuminators worked well.  

My unit performed flawlessly with EV not even maxed out at +1, another 12 hours under OPSIN on top of many hundreds of hours.  

The ATAK/comms linked display with analogue is a hot mess (it always has been), tho functional.  

I was the guy that had to paint the white lines, very onerous but the outcome looks pretty good.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#29]
GroundhogOZ, I'm not sure what happened, and it's not my business, but I throughly enjoyed your Opsin thread.  I was sad to see it go.  I'd very much welcome a similar new thread with the current updates.  I found it all extremely interesting and informative.

@GroundhogOZ
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:54:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#30]
I asked for it to be taken down as I was going to put up a full update with new video and photos, but life got very busy and for many reasons I didn't get round to it.  

In reality it had served its purpose which was an open and honest review of the technology and various firmware updates.  Having a long history in remote area operations and also being a business and IP owner I tend to try and keep it fair and balanced with an eye to the bigger picture.  

Whilst analogue still has a very good, albeit narrow future - digital is leading the way forward across a vast swathe of the electromagnetic spectrum - why, because you can integrate many different information sources and run the data through complex target generation algorithms that can provide enhanced situational awareness, identify high value targets and prioritise on the basis of threat level - this can be reviewed/utilised in a HUD (as a simple example and as seen with the OPSIN).  

The other key point is, this type of technology has many markets - not just military.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:45:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deltastone] [#31]
I think whatever the next version of the Opsin is, if we can expect even a remotely similar leap in quality that we had from the Aurora to the Opsin, will make it a device that competently and clearly fill a niche purpose.

Having the ability to see full color in a full moon, or rural town, or an urban environment might actually be extremely useful. Not even to necessarily replace analog NV devices, but to compliment them in the same way we might throw thermal into the mix now. Add in the ability to have on board built in recording as well and you are just adding to the convenience of it all. It'll also be way easier to make a Fusion device out of this technology than all the quirky work needed to combine analog NV and digital thermal on top of each other.

We're still going to be a ways off from it being just as good as a surplus PVS-14, and it might never reach a level of preferential parity to be a question like "Do I want the Red Dot + Magnifier, or a LPVO" but we are probably really close to it being a device that someone owns to fill a specific purpose. You get better ATAK integration, or the ability to see phone notifications on it, or plugging a thermal scope into it so you can aim through the Opsin? That starts becoming really cool.

Right now it's only a curiosity piece for those with disposable income, or those who have an extremely narrow niche they need this very, very specific device to fill.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:48:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#32]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Deltastone:
I think whatever the next version of the Opsin is, if we can expect even a remotely similar leap in quality that we had from the Aurora to the Opsin, will make it a device that competently and clearly fill a niche purpose.

Having the ability to see full color in a full moon, or rural town, or an urban environment might actually be extremely useful. Not even to necessarily replace analog NV devices, but to compliment them in the same way we might throw thermal into the mix now. Add in the ability to have on board built in recording as well and you are just adding to the convenience of it all. It'll also be way easier to make a Fusion device out of this technology than all the quirky work needed to combine analog NV and digital thermal on top of each other.

We're still going to be a ways off from it being just as good as a surplus PVS-14, and it might never reach a level of preferential parity to be a question like "Do I want the Red Dot + Magnifier, or a LPVO" but we are probably really close to it being a device that someone owns to fill a specific purpose. You get better ATAK integration, or the ability to see phone notifications on it, or plugging a thermal scope into it so you can aim through the Opsin? That starts becoming really cool.

Right now it's only a curiosity piece for those with disposable income, or those who have an extremely narrow niche they need this very, very specific device to fill.
View Quote

Pretty sure that the next Opsin is in the works and somebody asked SiOnyx on IG for a thermal fusion and they replied with "stay tuned". I personally think they might go like the ENVG-B or ADNV-GF31 route because it seems pretty logical. I do hope they will upgrade their lenses and hopefully put a new sensor in.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:41:12 AM EDT
[#34]
@ TNVC_will - The IVAS squad level assessment finished a cpl of months back, in Feb.  

The development path for analogue lay in part with a drive to reduced MCP pore diameter coupled with increased pore density.  This has an impact on both resolution and light amplification through increased surface area for the production of more electrons in the MCP.  

The future is a light-weight, multi-sensor array, an analogue intensifier tube will likely remain part of that array and the detector array does not have to be in front of the eyes.  This has been done in many different forms.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:43:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#35]
@ TNVC_will - The IVAS squad level assessment finished a cpl of months back, in Feb.  

The development path for analogue lay in part with a drive to reduced MCP pore diameter coupled with increased pore density.  This has an impact on both resolution and light amplification through increased surface area for the production of more electrons in the MCP.  

The future is a light-weight, multi-sensor array, an analogue intensifier tube will likely remain part of that array and the detector array does not have to be in front of the eyes.  This has been done in many different forms.
View Quote

In some respects and crudely speaking, current deployed large systems turn into future deployed small systems e.g. just look at the evolution of thermal or SAR.

He who controls the spectrum wins the war.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#37]
@TNVC_will No worries, all good
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top