BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:11:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

It wouldn’t be hard (though perhaps not robust) for the blast functional features to thread on in front of the forward threads or taper. No can: unscrew brake orifice plate and screw on bird cage.  Suppressed: unscrew bird cage and screw in brake. Long hunting rifle: no forward feature.

It’s one more threaded interface to screw with but concentricity tolerances wouldn’t be any concern.
View Quote
Sig did exactly this with their previous generation QD. Funnily enough, its threads are ahead of its taper.  For a hunting rifle, Griffin’s “Taper Mount Direct Thread Adapter” could be used. Its not like most DT adapters… more like a taper mount with the front chopped off. Rex* sells a blast-can shaped HUB compatible muzzle brake which could be used like that, or with a flash hider mount.

*edit: other brands do, too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:30:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#2]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

It wouldn't be hard (though perhaps not robust) for the blast functional features to thread on in front of the forward threads or taper. No can: unscrew brake orifice plate and screw on bird cage.  Suppressed: unscrew bird cage and screw in brake. Long hunting rifle: no forward feature.

It's one more threaded interface to screw with but concentricity tolerances wouldn't be any concern.
View Quote
Interesting concept.

I wonder about effect on POI without a rezero though.  It's bad enough to keep track of that with suppressed or unsuppressed, now you might have a muzzle device variable added in.

May or may not matter depending on the particular rifle and use case (ie. PDW, probably not. Recce or DMR, maybe?)
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:

Interesting concept.

I wonder about effect on POI without a rezero though.  It's bad enough to keep track of that with suppressed or unsuppressed, now you might have a muzzle device variable added in.

May or may not matter depending on the particular rifle and use case (ie. PDW, probably not. Recce or DMR, maybe?)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:  It wouldn't be hard (though perhaps not robust) for the blast functional features to thread on in front of the forward threads or taper. No can: unscrew brake orifice plate and screw on bird cage.  Suppressed: unscrew bird cage and screw in brake. Long hunting rifle: no forward feature.

It's one more threaded interface to screw with but concentricity tolerances wouldn't be any concern.

Interesting concept.

Clearly need timed threads w/ a ratcheting locking device for the removable flash hider.  

And there will be two incompatible thread standards for removable brakes/hiders within otherwise standard Plan B - and 3 different ratcheting standards, two of which kinda will work together, but only one way.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
This looks like a good place to jump in. This is the first product of a series; flash hiders and short brakes coming soon. HUB adapters are a little further out.

https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/hansohn-brothers/accessories/muzzle-brakes/hansohn-brothers-radial-brake/

https://hansohnbrothers.com/sk/uploads/radial.jpg
View Quote

Waiting for the flash hiders and adapters. Rather spend my money in VA
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
This looks like a good place to jump in. This is the first product of a series; flash hiders and short brakes coming soon. HUB adapters are a little further out.

https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/hansohn-brothers/accessories/muzzle-brakes/hansohn-brothers-radial-brake/

View Quote

When you start making adapters I might have to switch everything over to this system.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:  This looks like a good place to jump in. This is the first product of a series; flash hiders and short brakes coming soon. HUB adapters are a little further out.

View Quote

Might I make a suggestion?  Organize your adapter page so that the differing mounts are categorized by the system they are in.  YOU know how they're categorized, the potential customer does not.  I look at your muzzle brakes listing and there's a sea of adapters.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Nice. In my experience radial brakes with larger ports (than for example a Cherry Bomb) give more perceptible recoil reduction.  It’s nice to have alternatives and now seems a good time market-wise.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't really get the concerns regarding the possibility of damaging the exposed threads on some of these taper mounts. It just seems like a moot point to me.

-Don't almost all suppressor mounts have a taper that could be damaged and screw up alignment? You could drop and fuck up any of these.

-It seems like it would be pretty simple to run a file through any damaged threads and clean them up enough to screw the can on. A few mm of boogered threads isn't going to mean anything so long as it screws on smoothly.

-I shoot my AR's suppressed 100% of the time now, so I guess my cans are thread protectors.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Redshift556:  I don't really get the concerns regarding the possibility of damaging the exposed threads on some of these taper mounts. It just seems like a moot point to me.

-Don't almost all suppressor mounts have a taper that could be damaged and screw up alignment? You could drop and fuck up any of these.

-It seems like it would be pretty simple to run a file through any damaged threads and clean them up enough to screw the can on. A few mm of boogered threads isn't going to mean anything so long as it screws on smoothly.

-I shoot my AR's suppressed 100% of the time now, so I guess my cans are thread protectors.
View Quote

I don't get it either.  The only time I'd have exposed threads is when switching between a can & the blast shield, so low cost (ie, multiple manufacturers) blast shields are more important to me than exposed threads.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:34:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#11]
lol, so strongly adjacent to this discussion is availability. Actually, the lack thereof.

Bought a Sig Rattler LT. I already have a Rex Silentium MG7K suppressor. I also have the RexQD setup. Well, the QD setup is 6.5oz to the 10.25oz of the can itself. That ain't happening (maybe; see the rest of this post).

Ok, who has a Hub adapter that fits the Sig QD Clutch-Lok FH? Nobody. Not even Sig. No such thing exists.

Alrighty then. Off to Plan B land.
I only found one place that has the Rearden Atlas Hub (titanium). Probably the version I'd choose anyway, if there was even a choice of anything else, anywhere else.
Ah, but no one has any Plan B FHs in stock that have a Sig taper. Well, I did find a Rearden FHD in Rainbow. I can guess why it's still in stock.

Dammit, let's quit swimming upstream already. I'll just go buy a Sig suppressor.
Whoops. No one has one.

So I guess that leaves me with the least optimal solution, a taper adapter so I can use a square FH or ????

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh and on the terminology front, when using the term "taper" are we talking about the interface between the muzzle device and suppressor or the interface between the barrel and muzzle device?
It can all be pretty confusing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Oh and on the terminology front, when using the term "taper" are we talking about the interface between the muzzle device and suppressor or the interface between the barrel and muzzle device?
View Quote

The taper refers to the taper within the mounting system that create a seal between the muzzle device and mount. Plan B has taper before threads, Plan A is threads before taper.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nomad221] [#14]
lol, so strongly adjacent to this discussion is availability. Actually, the lack thereof.
View Quote

This is exactly the reason why I went Plan A for my new OCL Polo K. Found both in stock on one site.

In my research for Plan B hubs and MB's before purchase, I found most were out of stock and couldn't find the same manufacturer for concentricity in stock.

Griffin Hub and Ez brake.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#15]
The irony of having so much variety but nothing is in stock. Even one of Hop's screenshots in his video shows OOS.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#16]
The irony of having so much variety but nothing is in stock. Even one of Hop's screenshots in his video shows OOS.

View Quote

I imagine Rearden and the other companies are having the same issues that suppressor manufacturers are right with staying ahead on production. Nobody really expected to ever see form 4 approvals this quick and it’s convinced a good amount of people to finally get into the NFA game.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:34:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#17]
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
The taper refers to the taper within the mounting system that create a seal between the muzzle device and mount. Plan B has taper before threads, Plan A is threads before taper.
Even more confusing is barrels with the Sig taper machined directly on them.

As eagarminuteman stated, the taper is the angled surface machined into both the mount adapter (the part screwed into the suppressor or sometimes permanently part of the suppressor) and the muzzle device on the barrel (or sometimes the taper is directly machined on the barrel in Sig's case).  The two angled surfaces of the taper are forced together and ramp up on each other when tightening the threads. It works somewhat like an angled block of wood jammed under a door to hold it open, except imagine if the bottom of the door was also angled like the block of wood.

Usually the muzzle device itself is tightened on the barrel against a square 90 degree shoulder behind the barrel threads as opposed to an angled taper (again, the Sig tapered barrels being an exception). In some cases, muzzle devices may tighten against the muzzle of the barrel instead of the shoulder (often referred to as a face mount).

Here is a good explanation of the taper:

The Magic of Tapers (on Barrels, Muzzle Devices & Silencers)

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Rearden FHD with taper came back in stock. That was helpful.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m not sure how you could make a case for a better mounting system. There are others on par with it though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By peachy:

CAT has really taken your point to the next level. Their suppressor page is just a bunch of cartoon people, and you have to click through each one to figure out what it is:
https://specterscat.com/product-category/cat-suppressors/

View Quote

Wow, just for making me look at that page, I think C.A.T. has just forfeited their chance at ever receiving any of my money.

I get branding, but like, wow, no.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Shackelford762:

Wow, just for making me look at that page, I think C.A.T. has just forfeited their chance at ever receiving any of my money.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By peachy:  CAT has really taken your point to the next level. Their suppressor page is just a bunch of cartoon people, and you have to click through each one to figure out what it is:
https://specterscat.com/product-category/cat-suppressors/

peachy, I thought you were joking.  That's the worst marketing I've ever seen.  That's like that one gun website where their videos are made by a former member who got kicked off the forum after he said all the members were idiots or something.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:18:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#22]
I must be one of the few that doesn’t really care about CATs marketing. If the product performs, which by all accounts it does, then I don’t care. I don’t buy things because of how scientific or tactical they make their products sound.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:  I must be one of the few that doesn’t really care about CATs marketing. If the product performs, which by all accounts it does, then I don’t care. I don’t buy things because of how scientific or tactical they make their products sound.
View Quote

If I knew what kind of cans they had, I might be interested.  When their store is full of half dressed cartoon characters, I'm not even going to click.  They might be the best cans ever, but you'd literally have to describe a cartoon character to me for me to look up their can.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I must be one of the few that doesn’t really care about CATs marketing. If the product performs, which by all accounts it does, then I don’t care. I don’t buy things because of how scientific or tactical they make their products sound.
View Quote

I think that's the point of the silliness, based on what they've said in their social media. It separates those who, at least in part, buy an image and those that just focus on the product they want.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:35:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#25]
View Quote
By all accounts? Who? So far, there are few paying customers reports, mostly social media influencers and guerrilla marketing. The signal to noise ratio is obfuscating. If you toss out all the shilling, marketing, and the no-experience internet opinions, the feedback I’m seeing so far is nil, like most other new cans. The only CAT can I’ve seen in the wild has never been fired, and likely ended up destroyed due to a paperwork error.
Originally Posted By DDS87:

I think that's the point of the silliness, based on what they've said in their social media. It separates those who, at least in part, buy an image and those that just focus on the product they want.
View Quote
Not really. It hides the product behind the marketing and drama rather than showcasing it. Anyone buying one is doing so because of the marketing, not the product’s merits….see above. That, of course, doesn’t mean the product has no merits, just that we mostly don’t know what they are. And here we are, providing them more discussion, off topic, with no actual product experience, based solely on our exposure to their marketing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#26]
So I guess that leaves me with the least optimal solution, a taper adapter so I can use a square FH or ????
View Quote

I'd probably run a brake with tapered mounting interface before I would run a square shoulder adapter just to run a flash hider. It's in the can anyway. A brake will act as a sacrificial first baffle for the can.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

I thought yall were joking so I went over there.  Holy shit.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top