Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2023 7:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CKxx]
What's the story on the color of the stock latch button? I see that some of the FDE guns have a black button, and some of them have an FDE button. When did that change?

Edit: on a SCAR 16/17
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#1]
on what gun?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The first latches were black but were changed to tan sometime before 2012-2013 from what I recall. (This is not official, just observational based on following SCARs in this thread and getting mine---both tan latches---that I got in 2013).

My understanding is that they addressed shortcomings with the stock latches failing. Not sure why they decided to change the color other than matchy matchy.

You might see TangoDown aluminum latches on some guns, which are also black. Though these may have fallen out of favor because the interaction between an aluminum latch and plastic stock could weaken the plastic over time.

You could probably get an idea of when the change occurred by going through the SCAR picture thread from the beginning and noting latch colors and post dates.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Ah, interesting. Thank you.  I happened to notice while going though a collection of mk17 photos.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cmcflex:
The first latches were black but were changed to tan sometime before 2012-2013 from what I recall. (This is not official, just observational based on following SCARs in this thread and getting mine---both tan latches---that I got in 2013).

My understanding is that they addressed shortcomings with the stock latches failing. Not sure why they decided to change the color other than matchy matchy.

You might see TangoDown aluminum latches on some guns, which are also black. Though these may have fallen out of favor because the interaction between an aluminum latch and plastic stock could weaken the plastic over time.

You could probably get an idea of when the change occurred by going through the SCAR picture thread from the beginning and noting latch colors and post dates.
View Quote

Yes, this is exactly correct. I can add from my experience that I have a first-batch SCAR16 (manufactured in 2008) that has the black latch button, but a later SCAR17 which has the tan latch button.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 2:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#5]
I have an early serial number 17(HC11xxx) that came with the black button/latch and a newer production stock with the tan button/latch.  I know the month of manufacture is molded into the plastic of the folding mechanism, I’ll have to look a little closer and see if the year is marked anywhere. I’m curious to know when they made the switch.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Speaking of these latches, does anyone know of a source for FN factory made spare parts? Looking to pick up the entire latch and button mechanism to keep as a spare.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Midwest Gun Works and Primary Arms carry pretty much every SCAR part, including the stock latches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top