Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2023 3:14:00 PM EDT
Anyone here build there own?

I'm m looking into something for standard ammo storage and figured the requirements for a magazine would probably be sufficient for what I want, but maybe overkill. The requirements should be a decent starting point though.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 6:13:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#1]
How to make a cheap Indoor ATF Type 4 (IV) Storage Magazine for Display Fireworks

(Not my video)

I did something similar, but like you, it's out of an abundance of caution; it's not required for my situation.

Read up on the orange book. Good info if you ever decide to go the FEL route, and/or want it to be to specs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NAM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb4ok2I1pCQ

(Not my video)

I did something similar, but like you, it's out of an abundance of caution; it's not required for my situation.

Read up on the orange book. Good info if you ever decide to go the FEL route, and/or want it to be to specs.
View Quote

Thanks for posting that video. I've actually been looking at those boxes, the coating is an interesting solution. I figured there would be more to the requirements, like subterranean or in a certain amount of concrete/block, or fire suppression in place, ect.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:39:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wangstang:

Thanks for posting that video. I've actually been looking at those boxes, the coating is an interesting solution. I figured there would be more to the requirements, like subterranean or in a certain amount of concrete/block, or fire suppression in place, ect.
View Quote

Depends on the type of magazine you are looking for, and what you're storing. See page 47 (the .pdf says page 55): https://www.atf.gov/explosives/docs/report/publication-federal-explosives-laws-and-regulations-atf-p-54007/download

Type 2 magazines. Mobile and portable indoor and outdoor magazines for the storage of high explosives, subject to the limitations prescribed by §§§555.206, 555.208(b), and 555.213. Other classes of explosive materials may also be stored in type 2 magazines.

Type 4 magazines. Magazines for the storage of low explosives, subject to the limitations prescribed by §§ 555.206(b), 555.210(b), and 555.213. Blasting agents may be stored in type 4 magazines, subject to the
limitations prescribed by §§§ 555.206(c), 555.211(b), and 555.213. Detonators that will not mass detonate may also be stored in type 4 magazines, subject to the limitations prescribed by §§§555.206(a), 555.210(b), and 555.213.

...(under type 2 construction)...

"(b) Indoor magazines—

(1) General. Indoor magazines are to be fire-resistant and theft-resistant. They need not be bullet-resistant and weather resistant if the buildings in which they are stored provide protection from the weather and from bullet penetration. No indoor magazine is to be located in a residence or dwelling. The indoor storage of high explosives must not exceed a quantity of 50 pounds. More than one indoor magazine may be located in the same building if the total quantity of explosive materials stored does not exceed 50 pounds. Detonators must be stored in a separate magazine (except as provided in § 555.213) and the total quantity of detonators must not exceed 5,000.

(2) Exterior construction. Indoor magazines are to be constructed of wood or metal according to one of the following specifications:
(i) Wood indoor magazines are to have sides, bottoms and doors constructed of at least two inches of hardwood and are to be well braced at the corners. They are to be covered with sheet metal of not less than number 26-gauge (.0179 inches). Nails exposed to the interior of magazines must be countersunk.
(ii) Metal indoor magazines are to have sides, bottoms and doors constructed of not less than number 12-gauge (.1046 inches) metal and be lined inside with a nonsparking material. Edges of metal covers must overlap sides at least one inch.

(3) Hinges and hasps. Hinges and hasps are to be attached to doors by welding, riveting, or bolting (nuts on inside of door). Hinges and hasps must be installed so that they cannot be removed when the doors are closed and locked.

(4) Locks. Each door is to be equipped with (i) two mortise locks; (ii) two padlocks fastened in separate hasps and staples; (iii) a combination of a mortise lock and a padlock; (iv) a mortise lock that requires two keys to open; or (v) a three-point lock. Padlocks must have at least five tumblers and a case-hardened shackle of at least 3⁄8" diameter. Padlocks must be protected with not less than 1⁄4" steel hoods constructed  as to prevent sawing or lever action on the locks, hasps, and staples. Indoor magazines located in secure rooms that are locked as provided in this subparagraph may have each door locked with one steel padlock (which need not be protected by a steel hood) having at least five tumblers and a case-hardened shackle of at least 3⁄8" diameter, if the door hinges and lock hasp are securely fastened to the magazine. These requirements do not apply to magazine doors that are adequately secured on the inside by means of a bolt, lock, or bar that cannot be actuated from the outside."
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:12:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BrianSki] [#4]
I have one like this... Not sure if it would fill the ammo storage requirement. They are stupid expensive for what they are. I got it new for free. One of those right time right place. It was missing the shelves... I bit the bullet and bought them. Not sure how much weight they hold. But it has some in it.

Flammable safety cabinet
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
That's designed for flammable liquids, not explosive material.

They're designed differently with different goals in mind. I wouldn't mind having one around, but would not expect it to meet the requirements of an explosive magazine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard they no longer accept job boxes for type 4s, but idk if that's true or maybe region specific. i plan on getting my FEL soon and I'm going to do a walk in 10ft shipping container with the necessary modifications to be up to code
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top