Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2024 6:37:03 PM EDT
My collection (wife calls it a hoard) of plate carriers, plates, war belts, pouches, etc. is growing faster than so can find places to put it.
I picked up a couple of totes, but there too large for the intended storage space, and the wife squashed my idea of making a tactical table out of them :-)

Not concerned about concealment, but I want to keep everything  together. One carrier is “pre staged” for household use, but I have others  that need to be stored. Placards for different loadouts, that kind of stuff.

Without dedicating a full room in the house, what solutions have you found for storage?
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Dedicated full room in the house.

Sorry, it has to be done.

Mine is in the basement.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
My go to gear is in a 2'x8' cubby I built in our walk in closet that houses a small safe with couple guns, nods, thermal, etc. Above that is hanger for helmet, plate carrier, and belt gear. Pack on shelf above that. I don't need more stuff readily accessible than that.

Extra stuff gets totes in the attic or sold.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dogrobber13:

Dedicated full room in the house.

Sorry, it has to be done.

Mine is in the basement.

View Quote

I've got 1/2 of a room—my office/armory. Currently, I have more office, but I work from home, so it's needed. The closet is for ammo storage, uppers, etc.
I want one carrier setup for HD (plates, AR and pistol mags, IFAK) that is grab-and-go. The other(s) are my "main" carrier with it's own plates, battle belt, etc. I have a less tactical carrier in wolf grey for...reasons... and a ranger green one for the wife. She won't be "active" in an HD situation, but she, the dogs, and a 12 gauge (her preferred longarm) are my backup, so she also needs protection. Different placards for AR, SCAR, and eventually the MPX now that I know placards are a thing :-) And... I'm a gear whore.
I'm upgrading from Condor level stuff to HRT Gear, Esstac, and Agilite, so there is "decommissioned" stuff to store until I move it to their new homes. All this crap takes up space
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Totes are how I keep most of my stuff. Other stuff is crammed in a closet in the office.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have extra space on your hanging bar, you can use the Tough Hook Hangars and hang plate carriers up on them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I hang mine in my closet. The full rigs, a chest rig and an LBE hang on three coat hangers zip tied together. For each one of course. The random pouches and unused packs stuff are in totes when not out and my packs I use sit on the closet flloor under the rigs.

I doubled up on the quantity of closet rod hangers. There's a rod hanger shelf bracket on every stud.

People do make hangers for gear. I am looking at making some out of rebar since the 3 coat hangers zip tied together is sketchy, but works.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Schedule 80 coat rack, tough hooks, and a totes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Do the tough hook hangers actually live up to the hype? I’ve had one in my Amazon cart, but haven’t clicked buy yet
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dunndw:
Do the tough hook hangers actually live up to the hype? I've had one in my Amazon cart, but haven't clicked buy yet
View Quote
Mine has been good to go. Loaded PC hanging on it for 2+ years
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:54:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#10]
Do the tough hook hangers actually live up to the hype? I've had one in my Amazon cart, but haven't clicked buy yet
View Quote
It ain't the hanger you need to worry about it, it is all about installing the world's beefiest closet rod.

Once you get a couple plate carriers, loaded chest rigs etc, the rod quickly becomes the weakest link in my opinion. I've had 2 of the tough hooks for a decade maybe, still rock solid.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:53:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#11]
My collection (wife calls it a hoard) of plate carriers, plates, war belts, pouches, etc. is growing faster than so can find places to put it.
I picked up a couple of totes, but there too large for the intended storage space, and the wife squashed my idea of making a tactical table out of them :-)

Not concerned about concealment, but I want to keep everything  together. One carrier is “pre staged” for household use, but I have others  that need to be stored. Placards for different loadouts, that kind of stuff.

Without dedicating a full room in the house, what solutions have you found for storage?
View Quote

Too gay?

I have a small office area with my big gun safe and put this wall mount up. It wasn't difficult, but took some time and the way it's mounted, it can hold a ton of shit. I'm still using some large gear boxes to keep stuff from getting too cluttered. I seriously need a dedicated room which will be my only major concession if we ever move to a new house...

One compromise my wife allowed me was this gear stand in the bedroom. I put my EDC and carry guns on top, plate carrier and battle belt under with some slip-on Keens for nighttime patrols for odd sounds.

Both have been worthy investments for gear hoard organization and bedside preps for zombie invastions!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jt526:
It ain't the hanger you need to worry about it, it is all about installing the world's beefiest closet rod.

Once you get a couple plate carriers, loaded chest rigs etc, the rod quickly becomes the weakest link in my opinion. I've had 2 of the tough hooks for a decade maybe, still rock solid.
View Quote
I used 3/4" iron black pipe and made an L shape with a floor flange on each end. Attached to the 3/4" plywood closet cabinets.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
I used 3/4" iron black pipe and made an L shape with a floor flange on each end. Attached to the 3/4" plywood closet cabinets.
View Quote

About the same but I doubled up the 3/4 and mounted it to studs in the basement.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have most of my crap- packs, belt kits- in a Pelican case with wheels under a workbench. One PC and inner/outer belt are on a rack nearby. I got the Pelican for the price of rescuing it from the dumpster, and it adapts nicely to my situation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Lots of good ideas, especially about beefing up the closet rods., I appreciate the contributions.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Do the plate carrier hangers crush the padding in the shoulder straps?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:46:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#17]
Originally Posted By trails-end:
Do the plate carrier hangers crush the padding in the shoulder straps?
View Quote

I use a tough hook hanger. I have a Ferro PC w/ lvl IV plates, seven rifle mags, med kit, misc kit, and other odds and ends hanging on it with no issues. The hanger is pretty wide plus you can duct tape pieces of pool noodle around the shoulder sections for added real estate.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Do the tough hook hangers actually live up to the hype? I’ve had one in my Amazon cart, but haven’t clicked buy yet
View Quote

Yes they do. Keep an eye out as there are Chinese versions of these that are a couple of bucks cheaper. I use them for my plate carrier and my training carrier with steel plates. They work very well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Savior Equipment has you covered...

Wall Rack System

H.A.B. Rack
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Always worth considering to build your own.  This rack cost about $20, and an afternoon of work with handtools.

I'm pleased at how it turned out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#21]
You can get thinner, flat storage totes that slide under the bed for smaller stuff (pouches, etc.)  Or go all-out, and build a bed frame designed to clear regular sized storage totes  - that REALLY helps with storage (for anything) for stuff you rarely use.  You can fit ALOT under your bed with regular sized totes.

Otherwise stack totes 2 high under a closet rod to hang stuff off of.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Alpha-17:
Always worth considering to build your own.  This rack cost about $20, and an afternoon of work with handtools.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53620833752_ae6c193cc3_c.jpg

I'm pleased at how it turned out.
View Quote
i've made a few like this out of pvc

i use 4" for the main body then tee it off to 2"

you can fill the main tube base with sand or rocks to help make it stable , or get a floor plate fitting and screw it down

they can be made free standing or wall mountable

if you want to get fancy you could use black pipe and make some nice gear holders , albeit more expensive
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]
How I had stuff in the old house. I'll have a similar setup in my room once I get the new one build

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Just fucking take over a space fuck her...........................................

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Crucifix stand is pretty good for a ready rack.
Tack bags or go bags take up less pace than totes.
The tough hook hanger is good gear.

Also you know you are supposed to pre stage old AR 500 or excess plate carriers beneath the windows that overlook your main avenues of approach.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top