Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2024 11:14:41 PM EDT
Alright, now hear me out.  I've got a wild hair to get a Ruger American Ranch, chop it to 8", and suppress it.  Then I saw the CZ 600 Trail, and thought it was cool as hell.  The only thing I didn't like was the proprietary nature of it (HGs and stock).  Then I remembered the Lantac Raven...

While an AR SBR in .300 is sweet, my lame-assed state still has length limits for SBRs so a 10.5" barrel is as short as I can go on a semi-auto...BUT a bolt/manual doesn't have those restrictions.  An 8" straight pull with a LAW folder could be a really fun little package.  Lantac can sell me the BCG, and I found a Lantac upper for sale.  The only thing I could see being difficult is sourcing an 8" .300 barrel with no gas port.  Otherwise I have the SBR lowers ready to go.  SO, any reason to NOT build an upper like this?  Recommendations for sourcing an 8" blk barrel with no gas port drilled?

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just use something like a cali-key in a regular upper?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
But the Kalikey is gross.  The Raven is sexy
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You have literally described the solo 300
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
They're cool too, but I want the right side charging.  Don't think the Solo uses the buffer spring either like the Lantac.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe find a carbine has length barrel and have it chopped, if such thing exist because I think pistol is the standard gas tube length for 300blk.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you a lefty or something? Why would you prefer right side charging for something like this?

Also nothing is keeping you from modifying a buffer spring to jam behind a solo 300 bcg to have a spring loaded straight pull if you feel like that's really a priority.

Either way, solo 300 is where you could go to look for a barrel.

Here's a 6" barrel solo300.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:31:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
Are you a lefty or something? Why would you prefer right side charging for something like this?

Also nothing is keeping you from modifying a buffer spring to jam behind a solo 300 bcg to have a spring loaded straight pull if you feel like that's really a priority.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20200612_172403_jpg-3089727.JPG

View Quote

For the same reason right handed bolt guns have it on the right.  Look at the gif above, and you'll see it's faster/more stable to move the dominant hand instead of the support hand (which is supporting more weight of the rifle)

ETA: Nice build!  What kind of accuracy are you getting out of it?
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Another question; I don't think the Solo is compatible with the buffer spring since it's a shortened BCG.  That being the case would using a Young or Gibbz or QC10 etc side charging setup without a gasblock/tube/system accomplish the same thing?  Or would there be some issue preventing me from doing that?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

@Daggert

Is the Solo upper "plugged"?  What kind of spring do you think might work in there?  The Solo is looking more and more like a viable option if I could do that.  Then I could also have a folder without going the LAW folder route.  What kind of accuracy are you getting out of yours?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:29:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#10]
the upper isn't plugged or anything. It's just a chopped bcg in a more or less standard upper. You can put a plug or picatinny adapter or whatever you want in the rear stock portion of your lower.

You could probably fit some kind of spring into it, but i'm still not clear why you'd want to. It's like a 2" pull and push.

I jsut shoot mine at steel reallly quiet with subs. I've never shot for groups.

Honestly, when I was looking to build a sbr bolt action for maximum quiet subsonic performance, I looked at all the available options at the time to make a compact, quiet, folding stock 300 blk host, and realized that keeping AR15 ergos and handling was optimal. Creating a barrel without gas port looked complicated, especially a few years ago, and other bolt action AR uppers were like $1000. Then I saw the guy putting these solo 300 things together like a han solo pistol and realized that with a folding stock and a handguard, it would be exactly what I was looking for with all the features I wanted, so I was one of the first adopters of the platform. And it works as advertised. It's as quiet as my remington 700 300blk that I sold, but weighs a lot less and is a lot more convenient.

You can also buy 6 or 9" barrels without gas ports and other parts from the website.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

One more question; what's the can/rail combo?  Is that a Spikes BAR?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

One more question; what's the can/rail combo?  Is that a Spikes BAR?
View Quote
Yeah it's the spikes bar picatinny rail. Mlok mounts require hardware inside the diameter of the handguard
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#13]
X-Caliber will make one, just choose the “no gas port” under the drop down

https://www.x-caliber.net/custom-ar-barrel
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:39:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jandbj] [#14]
Here’s what I did.

Details on how I did mine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Upper is done just waiting on form 1 to clear
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top