Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2024 12:49:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the reason I stopped wet tumbling pistol brass years ago was due to the sticking problem with the Dillon powder funnel.

Is the length of the MON brass the same as the S&B?

Was the S&B wet tumbled with Wash & Wax and the MON with just soap? Wash & Wax adds a bit of slickness to the case.

Why aren't the MON cases as clean as the S&B?

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Starline brass- seems to be associated with the Dillon powder funnel . The land for expanding case mouth is too long and when you begin to bell mouth the bottom of expander gets into the thicker taper of case and wedges causing it to be very hard to get back out. We have modified several by increasing radius on end and slightly shortening expanding land and this eliminated the problem completely.

Or lube inside case mouth.

Or buy RCBS sizing die that maintains the case taper.

Or maybe chamfer and deburr.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it possible the dirtiness that remains in the MON brass after cleaning is some type of sealant/tar used at the factory?
I've seen it on speer nickel brass before.
I could see something like that causing an issue like you are having.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:40:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#5]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Your cases are too clean. On some powder funnels(most) the brass is too clean and is galling on the expander. Tumble them in some type of dirty dry media for 15 min as Dry said. It will go away. This is another reason I dont wet clean my brass.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you sure the monarch brass is really brass and not brass plated steel cases?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm also thinking different alloy OR different heat treatment.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:32:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Kind of agree with some of the other ideas:
Plated steel casings?
Add a wash/wax step?  (Always a good idea)
Euro casing with tighter inner diameter or step?

9mm brass is so common and cheap (or free to pick up).  Problematic cases aren’t worth the hassle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#16]
#1 get a scotch brite cleaning pad and soak with the copper remove
#2 clean the funnel.  

US and SS Tumbling take away the firing residue that acts as lube.  
So if you must use above then run through case polisher with corn cob media.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#17]
This is a new one to me.  I would imagine this is a die issue, more than press specific.  FWIW I run Honrady Dies and their LnL progressive, and don't experience this with any brand brass.

And I wet tumble. Usually with chips, but lots of time without media - no difference.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I use a cap full of Armorall wash & wax in the wet tumbler.  Seems to provide just a little bit of lube.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Couple more random thoughts:

Check the thickness of the brass at the case mouth.  

Clean it longer in soap/lemi shine, and follow with wash/wax cycle.  Too clean is “sticky” anyhow, and a wash/waxed casing is more resistant to corrosion if you are storing a while before reloading it.  

Those Monarch cases all appear to have crimped primers, so probably not a fun 9mm casing to reload anyhow.  

While I do actually lube pistol casings when carbide sizing them (every 10th one maybe, makes things a lot easier), not sure I would want to lube the inside of the mouth.  Just gives the powder something to stick to when charging the case.  

I get the need to find an answer, even when discarding them is the easy solution!  Leaning towards thicker case mouths personally.  Some Euro 9mm is known for this I believe.  I have never seen the tar sealant used on pistol ammo, so while that might account for the inner surface dirtiness, I would be surprised if it was the cause.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:17:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#22]
Once I stared wet tumbling I got frequent cases getting "stuck" on the 650's powder funnel.

the thicker the case the more it will stick.  CBC brass is a frequent offender.  

using wash n wax instead of dawn helps

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:14:25 AM EDT
[#23]
this is a issue of the cases have no lube in them to prevent sticking. It does not matter that they look like they are dirty. If you clean with the pins or chips they are too clean. Listen to the people that are telling you to run them in dirty media. The cases are galling on the powder die. Thats why they stick. People are trying to help you but you are not listening. Take the advice.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm a bit curious as to why none of the aftermarket suppliers for Dillon powder funnels ever seem to have considered titanium nitride coatings. It seems like it would be a natural.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:46:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#25]
With the 750, I found leaving it slightly dirty (no pins or limiting tumble time), using wash n wax when wet tumbling, and/or AA Academy funnel were all strategies that help. Dry tumbling instead leaves dust in the neck, and that helps, too.

You could also change to running a prep cycle and a loading cycle, using lube inside the necks on the prep cycle.

I’d also consider ditching (or selling) that brass. I use a different press/dies now, and probably wouldn’t have as much trouble with it, so maybe someone would be happy with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top