Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2023 11:36:12 PM EDT
I read somewhere about stretching new m249 links so they feed easier in the Shrike but no idea how its done. Can anyone explain to me how its done? Ive got a Valkyrie Armaments belt fed that's pretty finicky with the links and was thinking that I may need to try "well used" links or something like stretching the links to get it to run right.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
This is from another thread.  I saved the image and copied the text. I think the original poster was MGNoob.

I am not taking his credit.

& Posted: 9/3/2017 5:27:16 PM EDT
The whole break in thing really just wears in the oprod spring, after 2500rds youll change it and may need to
"break it in" again dependings on ammo and barrel length.
My personal preference is picitanny.
Get yourself some links.
Get a .375 rod (i used stainless)
Grind a tapered point on 1 end and and a radius on the other.
Use the point for straitening bent links and the radius for stretching links.
Wear gloves.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If I am not mistaken, The original V beltfed took a modified link. I think they made a special model to take the standard link. Here is a link splaining. High Ridge arms used to make a link stretcher. The need for stretching is hit and miss. High ridge was the first time we could not get one running without slightly looser links. Another buddy bought some of the linked GI from the defunct UN ammo. Had trouble stripping, stretched and was fine. After several hundred rounds, stretching was no longer required. I prefer the term '"conditioning" to stretching. My thought being you are making the link a uniform dimension that puts less stress on the system making it more consistant.

https://bigshooterist.com/articles/the-black-rifle/valkyrie-armament-belt-fed-conversion/
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:21:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#3]
I think this video had some information on the right pliers to stretch them out and lots of tips. There was one that suggested some Amazon snap ring pliers to stretch them out.

https://youtu.be/8CKMBJngTao?si=koe9k7kEviCAgPvv

so far I've only sent like 50rd though my shrike (just got it) and I just used some case lube on new FN links and so far so good with m193.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top