Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2024 1:58:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gonzaar24]
I'm fairly new to the chest rig game and I don't want to go all out right off the bat. I'd rather build up my chest rig to my needs as much as I want to get a Haley D3CRXH but they're oos in multicam. I found some us army issued taps chest rigs in stock for cheap. Anyone ever own one and customize it? What are your thoughts on it? Or should i wait for the haley to come back in stock?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:27:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, it would make a good base for customization.  I haven't done one myself, but customized several Eagle "Paul Howe" rigs back in the day.  It was just a matter of swapping out the top web flaps for bungee and so forth.  But you're right; can't beat the price.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Gonzaar24:
I'm fairly new to the chest rig game and I don't want to go all out right off the bat. I'd rather build up my chest rig to my needs as much as I want to get a Haley D3CRXH but they're oos in multicam. I found some us army issued taps chest rigs in stock for cheap. Anyone ever own one and customize it? What are your thoughts on it? Or should i wait for the haley to come back in stock?
View Quote

IMHO you should try and get ahold on both to try on and then build based on how they fit your body. I built a couple of rigs and then ended up ditching them after the first couple of days of actual full time use.

It's been my experience that Comfort>Aesthetic (vibe).

Just about anything can be built out to function so putting together something with a nod to comfort has become a big priority for me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The TAPS is a good budget friendly option to see what you want in a chest rig.  Someone offers a ridiculously overpriced upgrade kit.  You can get a cheap H harness and waist strap online anywhere.  That’s the most important upgrade.  You can add kydex inserts or bungees to the mag pouches.  Tons of videos on YouTube for those modifications.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#5]
If the Haley rig is set up how you like, they are nice and well made.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I was issued a TAPS awhile ago, tried it out and it wasn't for me. The only experience I have with haley strategic is their micro rig and I've have no issues with it and it's served me well. I used to use it as a stand alone but it lived a bit of life on a JPC2 and now lives on a Spiritus. My current favorite is the Onward Research. It's been comfy and fit my needs so far.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#7]
What do you want it for?  The haley rigs (and similar) are minimalist, holding just a few magazines.  The taps and other large rigs (tactical tailor mav, etc.) are set up for carrying a heavier loadout.  

Figure out what your use for it will be, and what other gear you will want to use with it.  Minimalist home defense rig, full spicy times war rig, a do-it-all rig?  Using it with or without plate carrier?  As a placard or loose over the PC?  Are you running a pack?  If so, a full ruck or assault pack / day pack?  Are you running any sustainment gear on the chest rig?  (water specifically)  Sustainment in the pack?  (you need water unless it's a 'bump in the night home defense' rig)  What about a radio and IFAK?  

Also, what is your budget?  Factor in any other pouches you will add to the rigs?

Define the above and the answer will easily present itself.

EDIT:  I have a haley chest rig as my  'home defense rig'.  It's easier to throw a chest rig on that deal with a belt or whatever.  And I have a kydex holster set up on it to quickly throw a handgun on it.  I like the rig for that.  I also have the stuff to run it as a placard on my plate carrier or loose over the PC.

I also have a few other heavier chest rigs.  I'm a belt kit fan (like, full on modern belt mounted LBE) so I lean that direction for spicy times, especially since I live in the rural mountains, but I have some plate carriers set up for heavier loadouts.  You can quickly get $$$$$$ with pouches added to them.  And you can quickly overload them with far too much stuff.  But they have their time and place.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:
What do you want it for?  The haley rigs (and similar) are minimalist, holding just a few magazines.  The taps and other large rigs (tactical tailor mav, etc.) are set up for carrying a heavier loadout.  

Figure out what your use for it will be, and what other gear you will want to use with it.  Minimalist home defense rig, full spicy times war rig, a do-it-all rig?  Using it with or without plate carrier?  As a placard or loose over the PC?  Are you running a pack?  If so, a full ruck or assault pack / day pack?  Are you running any sustainment gear on the chest rig?  (water specifically)  Sustainment in the pack?  (you need water unless it's a 'bump in the night home defense' rig)  What about a radio and IFAK?  

Also, what is your budget?  Factor in any other pouches you will add to the rigs?

Define the above and the answer will easily present itself.

EDIT:  I have a haley chest rig as my  'home defense rig'.  It's easier to throw a chest rig on that deal with a belt or whatever.  And I have a kydex holster set up on it to quickly throw a handgun on it.  I like the rig for that.  I also have the stuff to run it as a placard on my plate carrier or loose over the PC.

I also have a few other heavier chest rigs.  I'm a belt kit fan (like, full on modern belt mounted LBE) so I lean that direction for spicy times, especially since I live in the rural mountains, but I have some plate carriers set up for heavier loadouts.  You can quickly get $$$$$$ with pouches added to them.  And you can quickly overload them with far too much stuff.  But they have their time and place.
View Quote

To answer your questions. I'd want it for a shtf if need be but also for range use/training. I do have a mystery ranch 3day assault pack as well. I do have a plate carrier but haven't decided if I'd want to attach my rig to it. Sustainment is a plus too. I'm planning on running a belt as well from bison or blue force
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:11:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#9]
Originally Posted By Gonzaar24:

To answer your questions. I'd want it for a shtf if need be but also for range use/training. I do have a mystery ranch 3day assault pack as well. I do have a plate carrier but haven't decided if I'd want to attach my rig to it. Sustainment is a plus too. I'm planning on running a belt as well from bison or blue force
View Quote

Unless you absolutely want to attach it as a placard onto the plate carrier  (pros and cons there)  then get a bigger one.  You will have trouble running real sustainment (water) on one of the haley rigs.  And you can always run it over the top of the slick plate carrier.  

Keep your chest rig simple though.  Don't throw a TON of stuff on there, especially if you are going to use it for range / training.  You can always keep a few extra pouches in storage in case you wanted to plus up after the Chinese paratroopers drop too.  Keep the actual front as slick as possible to allow you to go prone.  This is one of the pros of the bigger chest rigs - it allows you to move stuff to the sides instead of all on the front.

I would also put some decent money into your chest rig, possible something a bit better than the taps (unless you can get one stupid cheap, you will have to upgrade the harness system.  Like someone said above, there are cheapish options to upgrade it.  But you will want to factor that into your costs)  - you will find that the battle belt setup is going to cost you more than the chest rig.  But the chest rig is going to carry more stuff, all supported by your shoulders and back.  

I'd also consider pricing out a more dedicated, sewn on chest rig than one of the molle ones.  UW Gear, Platatac, etc.  Or one of the all-molle Tactical Tailor MAV chest rigs.  All of those are going to be much much nicer than even an upgraded TAPS chest rig.  

Check these out, they are on sale right now.  By the time you fix the TAPS and add pouches to it, this might actually end up being cheaper, and is much much nicer.  (And they have an option for Rhodesian Brushstroke too.....)  They also have various suspension strap options you can swap onto those - X and H harnesses, and a couple heavy duty harness setups.  (X vs H is a personal preference.  I prefer H usually.)

https://www.optactical.com/plpemk4chrig.html

There are a bunch of other options out there.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

Unless you absolutely want to attach it as a placard onto the plate carrier  (pros and cons there)  then get a bigger one.  You will have trouble running real sustainment (water) on one of the haley rigs.  And you can always run it over the top of the slick plate carrier.  

Keep your chest rig simple though.  Don't throw a TON of stuff on there, especially if you are going to use it for range / training.  You can always keep a few extra pouches in storage in case you wanted to plus up after the Chinese paratroopers drop too.  Keep the actual front as slick as possible to allow you to go prone.  This is one of the pros of the bigger chest rigs - it allows you to move stuff to the sides instead of all on the front.

I would also put some decent money into your chest rig, possible something a bit better than the taps (unless you can get one stupid cheap, you will have to upgrade the harness system.  Like someone said above, there are cheapish options to upgrade it.  But you will want to factor that into your costs)  - you will find that the battle belt setup is going to cost you more than the chest rig.  But the chest rig is going to carry more stuff, all supported by your shoulders and back.  

I'd also consider pricing out a more dedicated, sewn on chest rig than one of the molle ones.  UW Gear, Platatac, etc.  Or one of the all-molle Tactical Tailor MAV chest rigs.  All of those are going to be much much nicer than even an upgraded TAPS chest rig.  

Check these out, they are on sale right now.  By the time you fix the TAPS and add pouches to it, this might actually end up being cheaper, and is much much nicer.  (And they have an option for Rhodesian Brushstroke too.....)  They also have various suspension strap options you can swap onto those - X and H harnesses, and a couple heavy duty harness setups.  (X vs H is a personal preference.  I prefer H usually.)

https://www.optactical.com/plpemk4chrig.html

There are a bunch of other options out there.
View Quote

For water sustainment I'm just going to get a camelbak. And I've been looking at the battle belt from blue alpha to carry a little extra stuff to take away weight from the rig. For the taps I'm already going to get a different harness. Pretty much it from what I can think of
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like my D3CR Heavy with the MP2 inserts. Pretty much fits any mag I can stuff in it. Integrates well into a plate carrier. Easily concealed under a larger flannel. Just enough utility pouches to keep you from over filling it. Once I figured out the X Harness I liked it. Very easy to stuff it behind the rear cover for stowing and fast deployment. Overall it's a very well thought out rig.

The only downside is 4 mags is not a lot. I rigged up a 6 mag bandoleer with two shingles. Easy to toss into a pack or just grab and go. We all have shingles kicking around so the cost is pretty low.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:16:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#13]
I like my haley rig for carbine classes and playing in the woods. I dont view it as a legit field gear for serious application as more sustainment is needed.

If I were to buy a chest rig today, it would probably be the TRex Quad flap (or whatever its called) or the Hybrid 556 by Velocity. I do not pretend to know what others would view as ideal but i think they are a better base than the haley.

I have a low tolerance for not having water and usually have a pack too large to not consider the possibility of ditching. Which means I need water on me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top