Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2024 9:26:20 AM EDT
The NEW Steyr AUG is Here! The AUG A3 M2 is in the USA

Watch the video. New details of the AUG submodel.

At least the 300 blk is going to be released soon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool.

I hope it doesn't add too much weight. Already the DT WLVRN is roughly the same weight, already has a handguard, and can switch to short action calibers.

I also hope they fix the cracking stock problem.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I like all the stuff he shows but find the guy to be super annoying
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:26:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
Very cool.

I hope it doesn't add too much weight. Already the DT WLVRN is roughly the same weight, already has a handguard, and can switch to short action calibers.

View Quote

Do we know how much this weighs? The Aug A3M2?

The AUG A3 M1 is 7.8lbs
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:35:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#4]
I wish they would just go back to the A3 or offer a custom service of machining M1s to the A3 profile.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
I wish they would just go back to the A3 or offer a custom service of machining M1s to the A3 profile.
View Quote

From the video, it sounds like this so-called A3M2 is pretty much going back to the A3 receiver style so you may get your wish.

Seems interesting overall, my jury is out as far whether or not I’d get one.  I’d need to see the final configurations or possible upgrades.  I prefer the retro-style AUG but the right mall-ninja AUG could get me.  If nothing else, paint the receiver so we could get a factory green/brown gun like the Australian F90 or the military Austrian A3 SF (that they advertised with a painted receiver anyway).
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't call it a new model. It's just a new type of rail and fore-end
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it weird that I always liked the AUG, but the moment they show a version without the fore grip, I suddenly really want it?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AR18:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELfTbtI5sTE

Watch the video. New details of the AUG submodel.

At least the 300 blk is going to be released soon.
View Quote
Palmetto has the 300 BO Aug's on clearance.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/steyr-aug-a3-m1-300-blackout-16-30rd-rifle-w-1-5x-steyr-optic-augm1blkext300sp.html

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:43:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenIceman] [#9]
Very cool.

View Quote

Wlvrn is half a pound lighter than the aug...

Add more rail and mlok and the new aug will certainly be heavier.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:21:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
I wouldn't call it a new model. It's just a new type of rail and fore-end
View Quote

It's going back to the A3 receiver without the bump.  Definitely a welcome change.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Very cool.

View Quote

The WLVRN is yet completely unproven from a company that previously foisted their turd burgled MDR on consumers. I’ll take an AUG over anything Desert Tech, even with the risk of a cracked stock.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

The WLVRN is yet completely unproven from a company that previously foisted their turd burgled MDR on consumers. I'll take an AUG over anything Desert Tech, even with the risk of a cracked stock.
View Quote
Same here.  Desert Tech is a goat rope of a company.  As pissed as I am at some (but not all) of Steyr's handling of the stock issue . I would chance an AUG over anything by DT.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:07:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenIceman] [#13]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

The WLVRN is yet completely unproven from a company that previously foisted their turd burgled MDR on consumers. I’ll take an AUG over anything Desert Tech, even with the risk of a cracked stock.
View Quote

I don't know about that.  We have tracked the MDRx failures pretty closely and we have seen at least 5x more aug cracked failures than MDR/MDRx failures in all shapes and sizes.  They aren't at the point where 3 years of production is bad and avoid x years.

The reddit page even has sort features and tags for every failure type so you can see all reported failures in 6 years in one place.

Mdrx failures haven't cracked the gun in two pieces either.  Realistically the Aug, today, is far more unreliable than the MDRx.  That wasn't the case before 2019, but now it is.  That kind of shows how far a pedigree/history of manufacturers of something can go.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve owned an mdr and mdrx. I purchased them after I had gotten rid of 3 aug’s of different types. I thought they’d be the ultimate Bullpup. One thing is my augs never had a failure.  It’s the mdr and mdrx I couldn’t get to cycle reliably. I sent them back to dt over and over. I had them in my possession for 20% of the time that deserttech had them. I’m dumb enough to want a wolverine now. Thankfully I don’t have the money.

I’d say that the Aug still has a better track record, as the mdr in all its forms haven’t been out through rigorous use like the augs have. History counts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FiveseveNKAC:
I’ve owned an mdr and mdrx. I purchased them after I had gotten rid of 3 aug’s of different types. I thought they’d be the ultimate Bullpup. One thing is my augs never had a failure.  It’s the mdr and mdrx I couldn’t get to cycle reliably. I sent them back to dt over and over. I had them in my possession for 20% of the time that deserttech had them. I’m dumb enough to want a wolverine now. Thankfully I don’t have the money.

I’d say that the Aug still has a better track record, as the mdr in all its forms haven’t been out through rigorous use like the augs have. History counts.
View Quote

I own them both.  I like the AUG, it's iconic, it's classic.  I've had far more failures with my AUG than my MDRx - and I'm running the MDRx in 6.5 creedmoor even.  My Aug has shattered a cam pin, it occasionally eats the dust cover and locks up, it's headspace loose is at the far far end of NATO spec, so older brass will headspace separate and jam up the gun (specific item to reloaders though, FWIW), my unit is so bad overgassed that heavy bullets with slow powder have an excessive bolt-speed that will cause ejection failures, though better with the new supressed gas plug now.

My MDRx basically never jams.  The only thing I've broken on it is the dust cover spring.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#16]
So what you are saying is your reloads are causing all of your AUG problems.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By texasyid:
So what you are saying is your reloads are causing all of your AUG problems.
View Quote

And not in any other guns.  Green-tip M855 will sometimes do it too, since it's the same slow powder.  And reloads didn't shatter the cam pin or cause the dust cover to get eaten.  But sure, if you want dismiss it as that to feel better, that's cool.  Pay no attention to the other threads where others have their AUG dust covers falling off and sometimes getting eaten as well.

Personally, if I'm going into harms way - I trust my MDRx or even the RDB as much or more than the AUG.  It's a cool gun, don't get me wrong, I like it - but the lore that it's intensly reliable while the MDRx is intensly not reliable, isn't actually true in my experience - on in the experience of a few other heavy bullpup users either, apparently.  It's still a good gun though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I am biased because I have never had a problem with any Of my AUG's over decades. Pre Ban, A3, A3M1 and 40th anniversary. I know I don't shoot as much as you but I don't use reloads either.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:11:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#19]
I am biased because I have never had a problem with any Of my AUG's over decades. Pre Ban, A3, A3M1 and 40th anniversary. I know I don't shoot as much as you but I don't use reloads either.
View Quote

I suspect my 18" BBL is overgassed, and that's part of my problem.  A friend got a 16" this year, and his recoil is notably milder.  Even with the Supressed plug, (at Supressed), his recoil is still thr same or milder with the factory plug.  I even swapped barrels, and yep, his 16" is way milder even in my gun.

If I had gumption and see on on sale for cheap (good luck, right?), I'd buy a 20" (with 20" gas port) and cut it down to 18", and rethread.   Heck, If I could, I'd just cut a whole new BBL with a smaller gas port. But that's not so easy with the AUG.  (But hey, if anyone wants a ssssslightly used 18" FN Chrome Lined Aug BBL, shoot me a PM!  - It's chrome lined.  So impervious to wear, right? :) )

So I bought an RDB instead - which I like quite a lot in fact.  JMHO.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:26:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenIceman] [#20]
View Quote

Reloads are a mixed bag, it depends on the skill and care of the reloader.  If the reloader wants to maximize performance a reloader has the ability to size his cases to be near or over the maximum dimensions of the ammunition.  The theory is that the closer your ammo is to the chamber dimensions the less tolerance there is in the bullet position and the greater accuracy there is.  Ideally it is paired with the specific chamber you are shooting the cartridge out of as some chambers are cut differently or have anomalies in them.  It also has the benefit of less cold work on your brass so that it lasts longer (less expansion = longer brass life if you reload the casing multiple times).

Factory ammo usually sizes the cases to the loose side of the tolerance spectrum so that badly cut or less precision chambers will still load and chamber the round.

Exactly how much more accurate it is, few people measure that level.

However, if the cartridge is in SAAMI specifications/fits in a case gauge, but doesn't fit in the chamber, that is an indication the chamber is not cut to within SAAMI specifications.  I.E. the Rifle chamber is cut badly.

In this case, if the Rifle headspace is too loose it will chamber the round, but the brass will stretch more than it should and you will get fewer reloads out of it.  It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is annoying, as you would need to track exactly how many times each piece of brass is fired.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#21]
Originally Posted By FrozenIceman:

Reloads are a mixed bag, it depends on the skill and care of the reloader.  If the reloader wants to maximize performance a reloader has the ability to size his cases to be near or over the maximum dimensions of the ammunition.  The theory is that the closer your ammo is to the chamber dimensions the less tolerance there is in the bullet position and the greater accuracy there is.  Ideally it is paired with the specific chamber you are shooting the cartridge out of as some chambers are cut differently or have anomalies in them.  It also has the benefit of less cold work on your brass so that it lasts longer (less expansion = longer brass life if you reload the casing multiple times).

Factory ammo usually sizes the cases to the loose side of the tolerance spectrum so that badly cut or less precision chambers will still load and chamber the round.

However, if the cartridge is in SAAMI specifications/fits in a case gauge, but doesn't fit in the chamber, that is an indication the chamber is not cut to within SAAMI specifications.  I.E. the Rifle chamber is cut badly.

In this case, if the Rifle headspace is too loose it will chamber the round, but the brass will stretch more than it should and you will get fewer reloads out of it.  It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is annoying, as you would need to track exactly how many times each piece of brass is fired.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good post.  To follow-up, this isn't unique to the AUG.  Colt and many true mil-spec guns are cut with very loose chambers.  This assures reliable operations even when it starts to get fouled.  With factory brass, that one stretch will almost never cause a case head separation.  With reloaders, it can add up quick.  Most anyone with an AUG has numerous other guns as well, and in general is going to try to resize components to be universally compatible with all guns.  Meaning that unless one is purposely long-sizing brass specific for a loose chamber gun, that brass is quickly going to be stretched and compressed and head-separate in just a few cycles.  The good news is head-separate pretty much is never actually anything serious - especially in 223 where the casing is designed to break maybe a half-inch up, leaving plenty of body left to seal the pressure event, so no kaboom.  But the gun will jam when the front stays in the chamber.  This is still rare, I don't mean to imply this is every magazine - I've had it happen maybe 3 times if that.  But I'm also aggressive about retiring brass, and often if I'm shooting reloads in an AUG, I don't bother recovering it.  FWIW, I have a batch of FC headstamp factory ammo that visibly stretches to CHS warning signs, first firing in the AUG.  I think that's a case of tolerance stacking, but tolerance stacking that only shows up in the AUG.

It's not actually a flaw for the AUG to have such a loose chamber.  It's designed for NATO spec factory ammo.  And reloads in an AUG indeed are something to be done with care.  The part that I hadn't expected was how sensitive my gas system is to heavy loads of slower powders.  My bolt velocity gets very fast, and even with different extract, ejector, complete bolt - I'll get failure to eject jams if I'm running something like a hot competition load of 73 gr Bergers over a slow powder like CFE223.   And even with 62 gr.  Problem there is that's getting very close to proper M855 spec.   I run a fast powder under a light bullet, and it runs all day.  Fortunately the suppressor plug seems to have fixed my problem.  Unfortunately it does this by venting gas from a hole thats about 25% the diameter of my entire barrel.  As it turns out, my AUG is kind of loud, blows gas like a beast, and has a little slower velocity than it should.

Meanwhile, all of that ammo runs in a 10.5, 16, 17, 20" just fine all day long.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't believe that's a real M2 receiver as was developed recently. The M2 receivers are different due to the flush stowable barrel release lever (not button) and the folding A1 style CH. What is being shown appears to be an A3 receiver with rail system that you'd expect of the AUG's evolution from the 2003 era CQC. I'll still buy one, but I'm not very excited about it because it's just a rail system.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Are you all really having an internet argument over the reliability of a desert tech polygamy product versus a Steyr product? Buy whatever you want, but nobody will ever convince me that desert tech can make a reliable semi auto after my experience with the MDR. Good luck being a beta tester and I wish you the best.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 80085:
Are you all really having an internet argument over the reliability of a desert tech polygamy product versus a Steyr product? Buy whatever you want, but nobody will ever convince me that desert tech can make a reliable semi auto after my experience with the MDR. Good luck being a beta tester and I wish you the best.
View Quote

Oh you're right - DT bumbled around plenty - and to the average user in the store which one has better odds being more reliable, no way am I going to put money on DT (yet), based on experiences like yours.

As fate would have it - my own MDRx is freakishly reliable.  That's mine.  My own AUG is... OK.  That's mine.  So in my own gun rack, I'm taking my MDRx over my AUG.

Well... actually I have my MDRx at a gun store looking to sell it, and my AUG I mothballed, while I moved RDB up to primary - because believe it or not, me and a decent number of others, think the RDB is the best one to take right now.  

And I'll be replacing that MDRx with a Wolvrn (or however that cheesy name is spelled - MDRy), or an SFAR - awaiting more field reports.  Because you are very much correct - no way in Hell am I buying early production runs of either of those.

(And if you want an MDRx, drop me a note! )
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:46:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenIceman] [#25]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Oh you're right - DT bumbled around plenty - and to the average user in the store which one has better odds being more reliable, no way am I going to put money on DT (yet), based on experiences like yours.

As fate would have it - my own MDRx is freakishly reliable.  That's mine.  My own AUG is... OK.  That's mine.  So in my own gun rack, I'm taking my MDRx over my AUG.

Well... actually I have my MDRx at a gun store looking to sell it, and my AUG I mothballed, while I moved RDB up to primary - because believe it or not, me and a decent number of others, think the RDB is the best one to take right now.  

And I'll be replacing that MDRx with a Wolvrn (or however that cheesy name is spelled - MDRy), or an SFAR - awaiting more field reports.  Because you are very much correct - no way in Hell am I buying early production runs of either of those.

(And if you want an MDRx, drop me a note! )
View Quote

Agreed, DT did an absolutely terrible job with the Rifle when it launched, but progressively improved it.  Is it more reliable than an average AR15 today?  Probably not.

My argument was more that Aug's produced today, since 2021, where we believed they changed the material recipe (from the guy who claimed he heard it from Steyr directly) indicate it isn't a QA problem it is a design problem that affects 100% of all Aug's produced since 2021.  I wasn't even factoring in the nuisance issues that you mentioned.  A self disassembling is a big freaken deal, especially when it can't be re-assembled in the field.  And we are getting reports of self disassembly what it appears to be weekly for the Aug.  MDR/X issues are mild compared to a gun cracking open on you and sending the BCG into your eye/shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:
Is it weird that I always liked the AUG, but the moment they show a version without the fore grip, I suddenly really want it?
View Quote

Yes

It is weird.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe this model will come with a stock that doesn't break in half.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

Yes

It is weird.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:

Yes

It is weird.

Ahh.

Good to know.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#29]
The problem for me with the flat top A3 receiver is that it's impossible to get the classic AUG look with a factory optic. You end up with that old armored pickle optic on a mostly empty rail
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:03:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#30]
The problem for me with the flat top A3 receiver is that it's impossible to get the classic AUG look with a factory optic. You end up with that old armored pickle optic on a mostly empty rail
View Quote

I guess I'm the only one, and this probably isn't going to be a very welcome post in this thread - but as an 80's kid, I had no interest in a 2010 era AUG unless I could get the integrated optic, which meant A3M1, and when that was released, I was back in the game - and got one.   I love the AUG, I think it's a great gun and has awesome nostalgia to me to finally have and run such a cool iconic classic.  And I can run it pretty good even, I've put a lot of rounds on mine.  With the trigger pack upgrades, it's a pleasure of a gun.  It's an iconic classic with that integrated scope, just like from back in the day, and the look is complete.  

It's also 1970's technology.  MP5 and AUG are *great* guns- and just as great as they ever were.  But technologically both have been surpassed by more modern systems that use more modern materials and design concepts and find themselves heavy classics of more limited features.  If you want a more modern 5.56 bullpup that hosts more modern sighting systems and such, that's cool - but a heavy AUG isn't the path for me for that.  The RDB is the modern gun today with better features and better experience and better usability.  Just like the Stribog SP9A3 is the modern gun today than the MP5.   Aug and MP5 are awesome, but I'm not modernizing a "battle-proven" M1 Garand, when there are more modern guns if I want modern gun and kit.  So the new path of non-integrated scope for AUG, just doesn't appeal to me.

That's me, and this is probably a post I should just delete, as I doubt it's winning me friends.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Personally I have 0 interest c clamping an AUG or mlok in general but at least they are trying something new I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#32]
This optic setup:

vs this optic setup:

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FullAssault:
Personally I have 0 interest c clamping an AUG or mlok in general but at least they are trying something new I suppose.
View Quote

Same.

The VFG on the AUG is one of the features that make it so handy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Same.

View All Quotes

Same.

I once laid a business card over the AUG gas system port, as a curiosity.  It blew it apart and shredded it into about 8 pieces.  Yea, don't C-clamp an AUG.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#35]
They haven’t said anything about discontinuing the M1, so having an M2 as an option for the mall ninjas is a good thing.  You can’t really deny that segment of the market exists at this point.

I lean towards the retro-style config myself but if having a second receiver style appeals to more buyers, then Steyr is smart to have the two.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Findsman:
They haven’t said anything about discontinuing the M1, so having an M2 as an option for the mall ninjas is a good thing.  You can’t really deny that segment of the market exists at this point.

I lean towards the retro-style config myself but if having a second receiver style appeals to more buyers, then Steyr is smart to have the two.
View Quote

Sure - all good.  I will say in my experience there is constant pressure to cut SKU's, so in general I doubt they will actually make two separate reciever sets for long.  One of them is going to get cut.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Want in 9mm. It is a toy, about time they embraced that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#38]

And not in any other guns.  Green-tip M855 will sometimes do it too, since it's the same slow powder.  And reloads didn't shatter the cam pin or cause the dust cover to get eaten.  But sure, if you want dismiss it as that to feel better, that's cool.  Pay no attention to the other threads where others have their AUG dust covers falling off and sometimes getting eaten as well.

Personally, if I'm going into harms way - I trust my MDRx or even the RDB as much or more than the AUG.  It's a cool gun, don't get me wrong, I like it - but the lore that it's intensly reliable while the MDRx is intensly not reliable, isn't actually true in my experience - on in the experience of a few other heavy bullpup users either, apparently.  It's still a good gun though.
View Quote

I'm very new to the AUG. What is this dust cover you are talking about? The left-hand ejection port cover? Mine has nothing I would call a dust cover.

Also what are the signs of being over-gassed? I can tell in an AR by the ejection pattern (throws them for forward at 1-20'clock) but my AUG sends brass around 3-4:30 depending on lighter 223 or 5.56. I've seen maybe a dozen dings in the plastic stock from ejecting brass so maybe that is a sign. The recoil seems mild.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I'm very new to the AUG. What is this dust cover you are talking about? The left-hand ejection port cover? Mine has nothing I would call a dust cover.

Also what are the signs of being over-gassed? I can tell in an AR by the ejection pattern (throws them for forward at 1-20'clock) but my AUG sends brass around 3-4:30 depending on lighter 223 or 5.56. I've seen maybe a dozen dings in the plastic stock from ejecting brass so maybe that is a sign. The recoil seems mild.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

The plastic plate over the ejection port in the direction not in use, would be the dust-cover.  It's held on by a metal bracket on the inside.  The BCG of the AUG slings past that metal bracket every shot.  Should the gun, receiver, bracket flex from recoil or your face engaging it or whatever, the bolt carrier can easily strike it.  When it does, a number of things from absolutely nothing, to it getting dislodged and jamming up the gun, can happen.  Some people experience this more than others.  Should you experience this to the point it gets dislodged and damage, Steyr USA doesn't know you, and will ask you spend something like $50 or in parts and shipping to send you the new parts to try and fix it.

Overgassed sign is ejection at 1:00.  If your AUG is sending your brass forward there, it's probably overgassed.  And your AR is overgassed btw.  

Dings in the plastic stock on an AUG are normal and not a sign of anything.  Many people will put electrical take or such there, to protect the stock from dings.  This isn't important, but what some folks like to do.  I have a piece of self-adhesive Velcro there.  With the other side of that Velcro tape attached to a plastic angle thingy, as a low-budget velcro-on shell deflector should I do left hand shooting.  I rarely apply it, but yea, that's something you can do with the other side to make the velcro usage appear to be for purpose, rather than just pure vanity.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#40]

The plastic plate over the ejection port in the direction not in use, would be the dust-cover.  It's held on by a metal bracket on the inside.  The BCG of the AUG slings past that metal bracket every shot.  Should the gun, receiver, bracket flex from recoil or your face engaging it or whatever, the bolt carrier can easily strike it.  When it does, a number of things from absolutely nothing, to it getting dislodged and jamming up the gun, can happen.  Some people experience this more than others.  Should you experience this to the point it gets dislodged and damage, Steyr USA doesn't know you, and will ask you spend something like $50 or in parts and shipping to send you the new parts to try and fix it.

Overgassed sign is ejection at 1:00.  If your AUG is sending your brass forward there, it's probably overgassed.  And your AR is overgassed btw.  

Dings in the plastic stock on an AUG are normal and not a sign of anything.  Many people will put electrical take or such there, to protect the stock from dings.  This isn't important, but what some folks like to do.  I have a piece of self-adhesive Velcro there.  With the other side of that Velcro tape attached to a plastic angle thingy, as a low-budget velcro-on shell deflector should I do left hand shooting.  I rarely apply it, but yea, that's something you can do with the other side to make the velcro usage appear to be for purpose, rather than just pure vanity.

View Quote

Thank you. Very informative.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#41]

I once laid a business card over the AUG gas system port, as a curiosity.  It blew it apart and shredded it into about 8 pieces.  Yea, don't C-clamp an AUG.
View All Quotes

Same.

They put a cover overtop the gas port to prevent that.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#42]

I guess I'm the only one, and this probably isn't going to be a very welcome post in this thread - but as an 80's kid, I had no interest in a 2010 era AUG unless I could get the integrated optic, which meant A3M1, and when that was released, I was back in the game - and got one.   I love the AUG, I think it's a great gun and has awesome nostalgia to me to finally have and run such a cool iconic classic.  And I can run it pretty good even, I've put a lot of rounds on mine.  With the trigger pack upgrades, it's a pleasure of a gun.  It's an iconic classic with that integrated scope, just like from back in the day, and the look is complete.  

It's also 1970's technology.  MP5 and AUG are *great* guns- and just as great as they ever were.  But technologically both have been surpassed by more modern systems that use more modern materials and design concepts and find themselves heavy classics of more limited features.  If you want a more modern 5.56 bullpup that hosts more modern sighting systems and such, that's cool - but a heavy AUG isn't the path for me for that.  The RDB is the modern gun today with better features and better experience and better usability.  Just like the Stribog SP9A3 is the modern gun today than the MP5.   Aug and MP5 are awesome, but I'm not modernizing a "battle-proven" M1 Garand, when there are more modern guns if I want modern gun and kit.  So the new path of non-integrated scope for AUG, just doesn't appeal to me.

That's me, and this is probably a post I should just delete, as I doubt it's winning me friends.
View All Quotes

Considering the track record of the Stribog and RDB, I'd rather take an MP5 and AUG.

Steyr should copy some of the features from the F90 MBR.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes
Very cool.

The Augs actually work, have a great reputation, and shoot great groups consistently. The Wlvrn does none of those consistently. The thread that was up the other day was nothing short of failures and excuses, home fixes etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:53:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenIceman] [#44]
Originally Posted By Redman556:

The Augs actually work, have a great reputation, and shoot great groups consistently. The Wlvrn does none of those consistently. The thread that was up the other day was nothing short of failures and excuses, home fixes etc.
View Quote

I feel like an Aug with a cracked stock because of a poor material change does not 'work' and it has been that way for 5 years.  For comparison that is nearly the entire product life of the MDRx or MDR without Steyr admitting publicly to an oopsie doodle.  As far as the WLVRN working vs not.  There are quite a fair number of reviews of it working, even here.  However I remain skeptical of the Rifle being more accurate than the rifle DT claims it replaces.

Somehow the Aug, post 2019, is either as reliable or less reliable than the MDR/X/WLVRNs series.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top