Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2024 10:24:35 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Yes I know they weren't made for tankers...they were actually field modifications from the Pacific.

I just put this one together using a 30-06 barrel.

They are handy and yes somewhat "blasty" but they sure are fun.

This is one of the only reasons to use an adjustable gas cylinder lock screw in a garand since the gas system is no longer original.

Runs 100% once properly tuned.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it still C&R eligible once you chop the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]
My understanding of the so called tanker garands was it was an idea for a shorter M1 for jungle fighting, and was never made beyond prototypes or fielded in combat. The concept was picked up by importers and various gunsmithing shops with the catchy tanker name - a lot of the earliest cobble jobs I examined or tried to shoot wouldn’t function and most were made on old rewelded receivers
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The Mini-G in .308 looks pretty slick.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:35:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerret_S] [#4]
Good job but not my thing.

Is there actual documentation on a tanker? I don't think the military would want one when you had the m1 carbine and later the m2 that would fill that role perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:

Is there actual documentation on a tanker? I don't think the military would want one when you had the m1 carbine and later the m2 that would fill that role perfectly.
View Quote

See my comment ts. There was some call for the full power cartridge in a compact rifle. Springfield did some development during WWII ( test guns would have a T series designation, I think the “tanker” was called a T26 if memory serves) but again was never fielded
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't the Panama Canal Department shorten some Springfields during the war as well?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Didn't the Panama Canal Department shorten some Springfields during the war as well?
View Quote

Yes.  Called them Bushmasters.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By captain127:
My understanding of the so called tanker garands was it was an idea for a shorter M1 for jungle fighting, and was never made beyond prototypes or fielded in combat. The concept was picked up by importers and various gunsmithing shops with the catchy tanker name...
View Quote

This is correct.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Ain’t no field mod…
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]

See my comment ts. There was some call for the full power cartridge in a compact rifle. Springfield did some development during WWII ( test guns would have a T series designation, I think the “tanker” was called a T26 if memory serves) but again was never fielded
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top