BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2024 6:25:52 PM EDT
...penetrates armor.

Saw that mentioned in a thread.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you referring to those Teflon coated bullets that would go right through an armored vest?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Liberty is not classified as AP but will penetrate IIIA soft armor
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The federal legislation banning AP defines it by construction, nothing else.  Can't be or have a steel core, bronze, depleted uranium, or a jacket above a certain weight.  I think I left out beryllium copper.
The depleted uranium always amused me.  They could have left out depleted, as just uranium covers that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By grendelbane:
The federal legislation banning AP defines it by construction, nothing else.  Can't be or have a steel core, bronze, depleted uranium, or a jacket above a certain weight.  I think I left out beryllium copper.
The depleted uranium always amused me.  They could have left out depleted, as just uranium covers that.
View Quote

Nobody uses uranium in projectiles.
Depleted uranium is used in all sorts of projectiles and has different properties.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The old Aguila IQ rounds in 9mm would randomly penetrate level ii body armor out of my glock 19.  this was way back in the day.  It wasn't consistent.  I never bought anymore to try when we switched to iiia when we moved to 357sig.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

Nobody uses uranium in projectiles.
Depleted uranium is used in all sorts of projectiles and has different properties.
View Quote

A law banning uranium also bans depleted uranium.  Though economic factors are such that no government ban is required.  As far as different properties go, yes, you are correct.  But nothing that matters at handgun velocities.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't know if it's commercially loaded, but supposedly...
https://lehighdefense.com/355-diameter-68-grain-xtreme-defense-bullets-100-count.html
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:52:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#10]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Don't know if it's commercially loaded, but supposedly...
https://lehighdefense.com/355-diameter-68-grain-xtreme-defense-bullets-100-count.html
View Quote

I load those to over 2000 FPS from a pistol in 9mm.  2300+ FPS from a 16" carbine.   Soft armor doesn't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#11]
How would a round like BB 147 +P Hard cast fare against armor? I know it’s slow compared to the light penetrators but it also doesn’t deform. Obviously out of a carbine it’ll carry some extra velocity.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Hard cast bullets will deform if they strike a hard target.  Also, if they strike layers of Kevlar, (and I assume other types of soft body armor).  In the last century I tested hard cast 220 SWCs from a 6" M57 .42 Magnum.  Velocity was >1300 FPS.  The results were always the same, the bullet would mushroom and be stopped.  Similar results from .357 Magnums.  Bullets heavier than 147 grains and traveling at velocities higher than a 9mm carbine barrel would produce.  Hard cast bullets do well at penetrating a lot of flesh and hide.  They even do well at breaking through bone.  They don't do well at penetrating soft body armor, at least not at velocities achievable by carbine barrels in 9mm, or magnum  revolvers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
Liberty is not classified as AP but will penetrate IIIA soft armor
View Quote

Speed penetrates armor. Some of their stuff smokes along pretty well in a longer barrel. [4-5'']

Wonder how it would work in a 12-16'' barrel.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By grendelbane:
Hard cast bullets will deform if they strike a hard target.  Also, if they strike layers of Kevlar, (and I assume other types of soft body armor).  In the last century I tested hard cast 220 SWCs from a 6" M57 .42 Magnum.  Velocity was >1300 FPS.  The results were always the same, the bullet would mushroom and be stopped.  Similar results from .357 Magnums.  Bullets heavier than 147 grains and traveling at velocities higher than a 9mm carbine barrel would produce.  Hard cast bullets do well at penetrating a lot of flesh and hide.  They even do well at breaking through bone.  They don't do well at penetrating soft body armor, at least not at velocities achievable by carbine barrels in 9mm, or magnum  revolvers.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Depends on the armor

https://youtu.be/qqjAp5BgHQM?si=xmyQHtie2ik3tx8A

https://youtu.be/C_QLCIDWTdA?si=9GHUMMRt5ZPcMg6Y
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top