Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2024 6:38:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JThompson]
Tell me about your 1301 Comp Pro. Yes the one with the blue receiver.

What do you like about it and what don't you like?

If you wish you purchased something different, which other shotgun would it be?

ETA:
Looking at the 21 inch barrel instead of 24.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I too am interested in this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:23:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#2]
Originally Posted By JThompson:
Tell me about your 1301 Comp Pro. Yes the one with the blue receiver.

What do you like about it and what don't you like?

If you wish you purchased something different, which other shotgun would it be?

View Quote

I don’t own a comp pro but I have a few hundred rounds through one. The biggest thing I like about it over my 1301 Tactical is the enlarged loading port. You wouldn’t think it would make a difference but it does. I wish Beretta would offer the Tactical model with the enlarged loading port. It’s only real difference over the Tactical model besides the enlarged loading port is the longer forcing cone. While both versions have the Steelium barrel, the comp pro has a 80mm forcing cone vs the Tactical which has a 60mm. This helps it pattern a little better and more consistently though I doubt many would notice such a small change like that, especially with more modern ammo like the flite control stuff. Though it should be pointed out that the longer forcing cone on the Beretta 1301s is kind of unique as most semi auto guns only have a quarter inch or so of a forcing cone. The advantage being the Berettas will still offer decent accuracy even when using cheap ammo. I can’t say I found anything to complain about with the Comp Pro. It swung great, trigger is good. It’s a typical 1301 with a flashy blue receiver. What I found interesting is that while the barrel length was 24” it didn’t feel like a 24” barrel shotgun. It felt more like 20”. This is the same feeling as the Tactical model feeling like a shorter shotgun than it is. This makes it feel very light, quick, and handy. The gun I was using belonged to a friend and had a Nordic comp extension which gave it a 10+1 capacity. It could pull double duty as a HD or SD shotgun if needed. Aimpoint makes their P2 Acro with a rib mount now, that would be an interesting combination. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with the 1301 series, no matter what version you get. Across the board in my opinion it is the best shotgun currently on the market. The B-Link gas system and rotating bolt is fast with very little maintenance required. I don’t clean my 1301s until around 500-1,000 shells and I’ve never experienced any issues. Insane reliability even when dry and very dirty.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MK318:

I don’t own a comp pro but I have a few hundred rounds through one. The biggest thing I like about it over my 1301 Tactical is the enlarged loading port. You wouldn’t think it would make a difference but it does. I wish Beretta would offer the Tactical model with the enlarged loading port. It’s only real difference over the Tactical model besides the enlarged loading port is the longer forcing cone. While both versions have the Steelium barrel, the comp pro has a 80mm forcing cone vs the Tactical which has a 60mm. This helps it pattern a little better and more consistently though I doubt many would notice such a small change like that, especially with more modern ammo like the flite control stuff. Though it should be pointed out that the longer forcing cone on the Beretta 1301s is kind of unique as most semi auto guns only have a quarter inch or so of a forcing cone. The advantage being the Berettas will still offer decent accuracy even when using cheap ammo. I can’t say I found anything to complain about with the Comp Pro. It swung great, trigger is good. It’s a typical 1301 with a flashy blue receiver. What I found interesting is that while the barrel length was 24” it didn’t feel like a 24” barrel shotgun. It felt more like 20”. This is the same feeling as the Tactical model feeling like a shorter shotgun than it is. This makes it feel very light, quick, and handy. The gun I was using belonged to a friend and had a Nordic comp extension which gave it a 10+1 capacity. It could pull double duty as a HD or SD shotgun if needed. Aimpoint makes their P2 Acro with a rib mount now, that would be an interesting combination. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with the 1301 series, no matter what version you get. Across the board in my opinion it is the best shotgun currently on the market. The B-Link gas system and rotating bolt is fast with very little maintenance required. I don’t clean my 1301s until around 500-1,000 shells and I’ve never experienced any issues. Insane reliability even when dry and very dirty.
View Quote

Great info, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mike103:
I bought both a comp and a tactical during riots/ pandemic. My thinking was a shotgun would be a better optic compared to a AR and I like shotguns.

I bought the comp first and it had a 24” barrel. Shot buck and slugs well and it was also a decent field gun for upland game. But like all of us I decided I need a 20” barrel. Traded on trapshooters and quickly found out what a mistake I made. The 24” is truly an all round size.

Bought the tactical and it’s a great gun but is a large caliber rifle that is slow to load. I like the feel of a traditional shotgun better.

For 90% of people I think slugs are a bad choice. Buck is better for the size houses and property most of us live on. And for buck all you need is a bead.

If you watch videos of hound hunters down south that kill deer with buckshot routinely they don’t use sights just a bead. And they kill piles of deer.
View Quote

Posts like this are what make ARFcom great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mike103:
I bought both a comp and a tactical during riots/ pandemic. My thinking was a shotgun would be a better optic compared to a AR and I like shotguns.

I bought the comp first and it had a 24” barrel. Shot buck and slugs well and it was also a decent field gun for upland game. But like all of us I decided I need a 20” barrel. Traded on trapshooters and quickly found out what a mistake I made. The 24” is truly an all round size.

Bought the tactical and it’s a great gun but is a large caliber rifle that is slow to load. I like the feel of a traditional shotgun better.

For 90% of people I think slugs are a bad choice. Buck is better for the size houses and property most of us live on. And for buck all you need is a bead.

If you watch videos of hound hunters down south that kill deer with buckshot routinely they don’t use sights just a bead. And they kill piles of deer.
View Quote

Yeah the 24” barrel on the 1301 doesn't feel like a 24” barrel and it can pretty much do everything you need a shotgun to do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it’s the most versatile gun in Berettas catalog.  I like it so much that when a second popped up in the Cabelas gun library I ended up with 2 both 24”.  I use it for sporting clays.

I always wanted a Benelli M4 with a ribbed barrel but this is close enough, although I will end up with a 21” or chop one to 18ish.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:28:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Waiting for my bonus check to come in then may be able to pick up a brand new one for about $1500.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#10]
As an all around shotgun I would say the 1301 Comp Pro has zero cons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top