BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2024 10:23:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:50:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5thLegion] [#1]
Guns?

Seems like there is such thing as “too much”. If I am not actually shooting them, they have to have some special meaning to keep (dad’s old 35 Rem).

But yeah, I think people fool themselves into thinking they are great investments or something.

Of course if I only still had that PSP I sold before they went through the roof ha.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:04:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#2]

Where the real waste happens is accessories. Unwanted scopes, ammo, holsters, etc. all end up in the trash.  

I've been on calls where the family gives up thousands of rounds for destruction just to get rid of it. Some even go so far as to just dump dozens of pounds of reloading powder in the parking lot of the nearest fire station.

That's how I ended up with a $700 spotting scope. Coworker of the wife gave it to her for me.  She threw the rest of her husband's gun room in a roll off dumpster after her crackhead son took all the guns.

When I tell them that they are throwing away 7k in high dollar scopes it's like they have the attention of a goldfish.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#3]
My Mom thought some old decorative plates she had on display with a painting of a dog, some Norman Rockwell ones and others she had were worth something since she'd had them for a long time, but my brother pulled them up on Ebay and found most were going for very little.  She was disappointed.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I keep shit that I need, want, or makes me happy, anyone who doesnt like it is invited to fuck right on off.

If my kids feel burdened that they have to spend a day of their lives throwing it away, they are under no obligation to do so or take my money,valuables or real estate.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Spleenless-Dave:
My Mom thought some old decorative plates she had on display with a painting of a dog, some Norman Rockwell ones and others she had were worth something since she'd had them for a long time, but my brother pulled them up on Ebay and found most were going for very little.  She was disappointed.  

View Quote
The "fancy china" that's full of lead paint is always a head scratcher to me.

Nobody wants that crap.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots and lots of stuff, if not most, ends up for sale in the "Dead People's Stuff Store" for these very reasons. (antique stores)

Give it away. Make someone happy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

same with Mama's Holiday Barbie collection.  nobody wants it. I'm glad she enjoyed them, but nobody wants them now.l
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
One son finds 10 Tisas 1911s.. another 2 WW2 Colt 1911s and 1 Remington.  One frowns, the other smiles..
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:

Nobody wants that crap.
View Quote

Plenty of people want it.  They just want it at a very low price.  I have 4 plates my mother brought back from France during WWII.  Plenty of people have expressed interest.  $20 is $20, but I have more $20 bills than I do WWII era decorative plates.  Hopefully, after I pass they go to some one who appreciates them.  Though I am not confident that will happen.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Hummels.

When all of my grandparents died the family basically had a mountain of old furniture and hummels left over. Both grandmas swore up and down those hummels would be worth a lot of money... and yes, like any collectible there are examples that can be found on eBay that go for a lot, but not the ones my grandparents had. They had the ones that it seems literally every grandparent had so they are more or less worthless.

And what gets me is those Funko Pop figures are going to be the hummels of the future. "Lookit these little Xoey, these are Funko Pops and they'll be worth a fortune when you inherit them" (little Xoey looks up Star Wars Funko Pops on XeBay, sees them selling for pennies.)
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Sigh, I have an old man friend with a large gun collection.  

A lot of it is not really collectible.....

k11 converted to .308 win with a crappy asian scope on it.  He seemed to think he bought a genuine sniper rifle as used by the swiss.
Model 96 Broomhandle is excessively worn condition,...at least it’s not a Chinese copy.

Lots of stuff in altered condition.  He does have some sweet guns though, NIB Colt Woodsmen, perfect Colt .25.   Nice as issued 1911 not an A1.

If the price was low enough back in the day he bought it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:41:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OldArtilleryman] [#12]
Originally Posted By JsARCLIGHT:
Hummels.

When all of my grandparents died the family basically had a mountain of old furniture and hummels left over. Both grandmas swore up and down those hummels would be worth a lot of money... and yes, like any collectible there are examples that can be found on eBay that go for a lot, but not the ones my grandparents had. They had the ones that it seems literally every grandparent had so they are more or less worthless.

And what gets me is those Funko Pop figures are going to be the hummels of the future. "Lookit these little Xoey, these are Funko Pops and they'll be worth a fortune when you inherit them" (little Xoey looks up Star Wars Funko Pops on XeBay, sees them selling for pennies.)
View Quote

We too possess a veritable "fortune in Hummel figurines and plates." With this collection I feel right up there with Bezos, and Elon.
We're waiting for the promised day when they will zoom back up into popularity and my wife's W. German shopping excursions over two tours will be vindicated.
Eh, I sorta like some of them...
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Any collection is going to be a PITA to try to recover the value.

My mom still has my Dad's coin collection sitting in a closet.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

ANYthing that is intended to be 'collectible' isn't worth anything. Plates, spoons, Elvis paintings, etc. are virtually worthless, nowhere near their original retail value.

Baseballs with signatures, comic books with signatures, stuff with some kind of history behind it is valuable.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#15]
How about some investment-grade gilded high-top tennis shoes?  

That’s going to be worth a fortune one day, like unopened Billy Beer and Beany Babies.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't buy guns as investments.

I'm sure no one in my family has a clue what they're worth, but honestly, most aren't worth much, they're used guns, however fun I might find them.  None are collectible, really.  Even my M1 Garand is nothing special to anyone but me.

That said, my kids will enjoy them when I'm gone, I doubt any will be sold.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:

Nobody wants that crap.
View Quote

Nobody want it to eat off it, they DO want whats collectible and Ikea Gnkvarg or Chinet isn't collectible.

Quite a bit of collectible pottery contains lead paint or glaze.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By nvcdl:

Any collection is going to be a PITA to try to recover the value.

My mom still has my Dad's coin collection sitting in a closet.  

View Quote

I see this all the time, someone waddles up to my table while I'm set up at a coin show and asks me if I'm interested in buying. The look on their face when I tell them the value is most disheartening, but every once in awhile I can give them good news as the value is more than they expected.

Educating ones self is key to any collecting hobby, make it fun and profitable, get the book first.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCARed] [#20]
Hummels, lol. I've got a couple of those headed my way in a few years from my parents.
But where the real money is, is in Snow-Babies! I've got a bunch of those that'll cover my retirement when I decide to sell them. I'll be living large I tell you!!!!!  Don't tell me they're worthless, I know what I got!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#21]
The real sad thing is when people fight over it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I just wish people had a better understanding of what condition the guns are actually in. People do the same with cars and trucks. My neighbor was telling me my 77 Bronco is worth $40k and I just laughed because I couldn't even get half of that in the shape it is in. He has just seen a few of those batshit crazy auction sales like everyone else interested in these things and thinks they are all gold. Been looking at 70-97 Fords and sometimes I just have to laugh at rigs I see for sale forever where they refuse to drop the price because it's rare or some other bullshit buzzword.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:10:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't care what my wife and son do with my tiny little collection of stuff - I'll be dead. She will never get what I paid for them, but any money she gets is free money in her pocket, all good.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Few weeks back I was called by a woman who Ive worked for on occasion to look at her late husbands gun collection.
" many high end weapons, and a ton of collector stuff "

All his guns were thrown in a few safes, uncleaned or oiled in many years. Rust everywhere.
Many of them were missing parts, bolts, magazines, sights, furniture.
Many were modified to the hilt, like bolt guns that had additional welds, hand made furniture that was never sanded or properly attached.

Freaking night mare. Dude was a good man, and I miss him but he did not care about his weapons. There was a couple c96 broom handles but they were beat to all get out, and missing all kinds of parts.

That and 50% of the collection was unmarked black powder rifles...
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top