Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2023 7:20:24 PM EDT
Hey guys, just got back from testing out my new Mini-14 tactical with the Samson folding stock and AAC M4-2000 suppressor.

The stock was rock solid, but the gun is a little front heavy. The gun shot well, but was a little gassy when suppressed. Probably will get an adjustable gas block at some point soon. One thing I did notice after attaching the suppressor is that I could no longer see my sights!! Just like shooting a suppressor on my pistol. Was able to hit the target by shooting through the suppressor, but I think a red dot is a must!!

So I'm thinking I'll get a Samson rail with red dot optic. Get one of those Accuracy Systems adjustable gas blocks M1A style look. Maybe chop and thread the barrel to 14.5" and pin and weld the flash hider to make 16". Of course I'll have no front sight iron if I do that. But I don't think you can use irons with the red dot anyways. What do you guys think?

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to stop, take a breath, and consider what your end goal is. If you want an accurate, ergonomic, functional rifle that can have all the tactical stuff hanging off of it, you may want to reconsider an AR15 or the many rifles with slightly different internals but similar form. Like crabs and dolphins, some shapes will emerge time and again to fill a niche because they work.

If this Mini-14 is your only rifle, you can easily turn it into an AR15-shaped Mini-14. I think it's pretty cool as an A-team clone. If you already have a tactical, super-utilitarian rifle, consider enjoying this one for what it is instead of trying to turn it into something it will never quite be.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a good setup.

Then again, I might be a little biased.

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Utilimak rail and a red dot is what you seek. If they had existed in 1982, Hanibal Smith would have had his personal rifle set up like that.

Someone also makes a replacement top for the gas block which incorporates a sight, but I'm not sure it would be high enough to see over the suppressor. And if you raise the front sight, you have to raise the rear sight as well.

I'm a fan of my mini and I own 0 suppressors, but from what I've read previously it would probably be my last choice for a suppressor host.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Am I the only one that thinks Mini's look funny without the bayonet lug and the front sight at the tip of the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Samson rail on my mini- I like it both as a hand guard and as an optic mount.  (I'd use it even if I didn't have a red dot mounted.)

For the cut and thread, you have a couple options with Cogburn-  https://cogburnarsenal.com/product/mini-14-gb-front-sight-pin-on/

If you're going to cut and thread, drilling for a pin on front sight shouldn't be an issue.

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:
Utilimak rail and a red dot is what you seek. If they had existed in 1982, Hanibal Smith would have had his personal rifle set up like that.

Someone also makes a replacement top for the gas block which incorporates a sight, but I'm not sure it would be high enough to see over the suppressor. And if you raise the front sight, you have to raise the rear sight as well.

I'm a fan of my mini and I own 0 suppressors, but from what I've read previously it would probably be my last choice for a suppressor host.
View Quote
You can't have the gas block front sight and the Ultimak; the ultimak replaces the top of the gas block, so any sight contained therein would also be replaced.
Originally Posted By BPR:
I have the Samson rail on my mini- I like it both as a hand guard and as an optic mount.  (I'd use it even if I didn't have a red dot mounted.)

For the cut and thread, you have a couple options with Cogburn-  https://cogburnarsenal.com/product/mini-14-gb-front-sight-pin-on/

If you're going to cut and thread, drilling for a pin on front sight shouldn't be an issue.

View Quote
I have a Cogburn accessory (stripper clip guide), their stuff is well done IME.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 6:03:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mouthpiece] [#7]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Update on my project. Received the adjustable M1A style gas system today along with some sling swivels. Waiting on the rail and red dot to arrive next.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tkopp:
You have to stop, take a breath, and consider what your end goal is. If you want an accurate, ergonomic, functional rifle that can have all the tactical stuff hanging off of it, you may want to reconsider an AR15 [...] instead of trying to turn it into something it will never quite be.
View Quote

I was a young adult and recent veteran when the AWB went into effect.  I missed getting an AR15 that was for sale and "settled" for a Mini-14 factory folder similar to the OP's.  It was nothing but frustration.  I understand the newer ones are better; more accurate, come with better sights, and Ruger isn't stingy with higher capacity magazines but AR's are just simply superior in every way.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh yeah I totally agree AR's are the superior rifle hands down. Only got the Mini-14 because I think they look cool being wood and stainless steel and remind me of the 80's A-Team, haha
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 1:01:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the Samson stock but have yet to get the rifle
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got in the Samson rail with red dot optic. The Vortex dot is a little fuzzy to me. But then again my eyes aren't great, so it's possible it's just me.

Link Posted: 2/28/2023 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have Astigmatism in your eye(s), or have developed it over time, your red dot may seem blurry; this is common.  Strongly suggest getting your eyes checked and perhaps new lenses.  This may correct the situation.  Accurate shooting begins with good eyesight.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
@Seven-Shooter is that the original barrel length? I have a Mini ordered and will be very similar to yours hopefully.  Great looking rifle!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SixKiller:
@Seven-Shooter is that the original barrel length? I have a Mini ordered and will be very similar to yours hopefully.  Great looking rifle!
View Quote
Yes, mine is a non threaded 16", which is shorter than the usual 18" that most models have, and a shorter OAL than the threaded 16" models.  Surprisingly hard to find.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
Yes, mine is a non threaded 16", which is shorter than the usual 18" that most models have, and a shorter OAL than the threaded 16" models.  Surprisingly hard to find.
View Quote

Thanks! I have the same coming, but it has the 18 inch barrel.  I suppose I cold find someone to shorten the barrel to 16 ad re-install the front sight? (mine will be non-threaded as well)
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By raf:
If you have Astigmatism in your eye(s), or have developed it over time, your red dot may seem blurry; this is common.  Strongly suggest getting your eyes checked and perhaps new lenses.  This may correct the situation.  Accurate shooting begins with good eyesight.
View Quote

Hello raf
I have really bad astigmatism in my right eye.  I have a 184 series Mini and I had ASI put a .625 barrel on it.  It really is a cool rifle.  Unfortunately, I always have 2 front sights to look at when I shoot it.  Needless to say I also always have at least 2 different points of impact.  

I get my glasses lenses updated at least every 2 years and I have come to the conclusion until I get cataract surgery, I will always have an astigmatism problem.  Luckily, I have a second Mini that has a scope mounted on it.    When I get to my other computer I will post a picture of the gun.  It's the barrel that Ruger should of been putting on the Mini's from day one.

kwg
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By kwg020:

Hello raf
I have really bad astigmatism in my right eye.  I have a 184 series Mini and I had ASI put a .625 barrel on it.  It really is a cool rifle.  Unfortunately, I always have 2 front sights to look at when I shoot it.  Needless to say I also always have at least 2 different points of impact.  

I get my glasses lenses updated at least every 2 years and I have come to the conclusion until I get cataract surgery, I will always have an astigmatism problem.  Luckily, I have a second Mini that has a scope mounted on it.    When I get to my other computer I will post a picture of the gun.  It's the barrel that Ruger should of been putting on the Mini's from day one.

kwg
View Quote
I had cataract lens replacement on both eyes at the first opportunity.  Have never regretted it for a second.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I had cataract lens replacement on both eyes at the first opportunity.  Have never regretted it for a second.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kwg020:

Hello raf

kwg

I'm thinking I'm about 1 or 2 years out from that.  Unfortunately, eye glasses alone do not fix astigmatism.

kwg
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#21]
“I'm thinking I'm about 1 or 2 years out from that.  Unfortunately, eye glasses alone do not fix astigmatism.”

Look at prism red dots or scopes
Many who have astigmatism find them much better to use
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By GunDisaster:
Update on my project. Received the adjustable M1A style gas system today along with some sling swivels. Waiting on the rail and red dot to arrive next.
https://i.postimg.cc/wB8qwT0K/03-A649-F8-BEFB-4018-9-C34-F54-B79-B12-EDA.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/SxzQLzL7/8-CFB1-F6-E-4-CA8-4-F5-F-80-BA-4-DAEEFCDCC51.jpg
View Quote

Methinks you got an adjustable Mini-14 gas block using the stock Mini-14 piston and a barrel brace that looks similar to the M-14 gas cylinder.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#23]
A few thoughts.

1) Adjustable gas blocks are necessary with some rounds but but with the .223/5.56x45.   The Mini 14 has been over gassed since they moved from .052” gas port bushings on the 180 series to .080” after the AC-556 on the 181 series.  But it’s a gas port bushing.  They can be had in a number of sizes and can be changed in about 5 minutes.  .045” is normally the sweet spot.

2)  The major advantage of a Mini 14 is as a light, handy ballistically efficient barrel length .223 rifle.  Be careful adding too much crap to it. You lose more in handling than you gain anywhere else.  If you want to hang crap off something get an AR-15.

I bought a 184 series mini used that some one had shortened to 16”, probably to try to improve its accuracy and it’s got its good points, especially with ha folding stock, but in general the cons outweigh the pros.

3) Accuracy was good at around 2 MOA with the original 180 series (center) but the excessive gas and greater reciprocating mass inherited from the intervening select fire AC-556 killed accuracy.  The mid 580 series and later Mini 14s are once again 2 MOA accurate out of the box.  If Ruger had left the 180 series Mini 14 alone, rather than going for parts commonality with the AC-556, accuracy would have been fine and never would have been an issue.

Everything in between the 180 series and 580 series will need an Accu Strut, a Choate muzzle device, and a smaller gas port to get them to shoot well. Both mine, modified accordingly, are 1.5 MOA accurate, on par with my Colt SP1.

4) Red dots work fine with iron sights.  Most have parallax issues and if you can do witness a red dot with the iron sights, putting the red dot right at the top of the blade front sight, it lets you control for any parallax error by consistently positioning your eye, greatly improving accuracy at all distances.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:  A few thoughts.

1) Adjustable gas blocks are necessary with some rounds but but with the .223/5.56x45.   The Mini 14 has been over gassed since they moved from .052” gas port bushings on the 180 series to .080” after the AC-556 on the 181 series.  But it’s a gas port bushing.  They can be had in a number of sizes and can be changed in about 5 minutes.  .045” is normally the sweet spot.

2)  The major advantage of a Mini 14 is as a light, handy ballistically efficient barrel length .223 rifle.  Be careful adding too much crap to it. You lose more in handling than you gain anywhere else.  If you want to hang crap off something get an AR-15.

I bought a 184 series mini used that some one had shortened to 16”, probably to try to improve its accuracy and it’s got its good points, especially with ha folding stock, but in general the cons outweigh the pros.

type Status report

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)

" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/IMG_1225.HEIC?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/FullSizeRender(25).jpg?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds

3) Accuracy was good at around 2 MOA with the original 180 series (center) but the excessive gas and greater reciprocating mass inherited from the intervening select fire AC-556 killed accuracy.  The mid 580 series and later Mini 14s are once again 2 MOA accurate out of the box.  If Ruger had left the 180 series Mini 14 alone, rather than going for parts commonality with the AC-556, accuracy would have been fine and never would have been an issue.

Everything in between the 180 series and 580 series will need an Accu Strut, a Choate muzzle device, and a smaller gas port to get them to shoot well. Both mine, modified accordingly, are 1.5 MOA accurate, on par with my Colt SP1.

4) Red dots work fine with iron sights.  Most have parallax issues and if you can do witness a red dot with the iron sights, putting the red dot right at the top of the blade front sight, it lets you control for any parallax error by consistently positioning your eye, greatly improving accuracy at all distances.
View Quote

Love the wood upper handguards.  How much does your 180 weigh unloaded w/o mag?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top